Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having Marcel at DM and Harvey at LB was great. Totally in sync and interchangeable. Great communication and working together. I really like Marcel at DM. He was in the 18 so much I'd swear he was playing CB. With Laba out for the season I'm hoping we see Marcel at DM from here on out. He really plays it great. 

His passing stats don't look great (9/17) because of the long ball bunker and counter style we played but all his incomplete passes were down field a long way. Aly was a bit weaker but still way better than Tchani in the dual DM role. 

I don't know Ousted's status but he's free at the end of the year so I'm really glad we got Marinovic. He totally rocked out there tonight. If Ousted does move on at the end of the year then I feel comfortable with Marinovic being our #1. 

Given how atrocious the Whitecaps finished last year, and started this year, I am shocked they are in the playoffs. But, here we are. Tonight's game was a classic example of the Whitecaps when I've watched them this year; completely outclassed in all aspects of the game, yet they somehow squeak out a win.

I thought Davies was fantastic defensively. Offensively I did not notice him much outside of the breakaway (where I thought he almost had too much time, but Melia made a good save), a nice through ball to Hurtado who promptly pooched the chance, and a few times running the ball into defenders. De Jong was solid. Teibert made a good interception in the penalty area, but also seems to overcommit defensively and gets burned often as a result.

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I thought Davies was fantastic defensively. Offensively I did not notice him much outside of the breakaway (where I thought he almost had too much time, but Melia made a good save), a nice through ball to Hurtado who promptly pooched the chance, and a few times running the ball into defenders.

Kind of makes you wonder if his future might be at fullback. His finishing, passing, and one-on-one ability haven't improved this season like we hoped. Yet, he has made huge strides defensively and was basically the de facto right back as he stopped most SKC attacks from even getting to Nerwinski down the right hand side.

Thrilled with the win, but I sure wish this team would learn to keep the ball better. Having said that, every team in the league must be at least a little freaked at what the Caps can do on the counter. As TRM said, we did not play our top line up, making 8 changes from Wednesday, and yet we stole all 3 points. Using the full squad has its strategic benefits, but I am still waiting for this team to really gel and play some good football. They don't need to dominate possession, but they still need to play more cohesively. 

5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Kind of makes you wonder if his future might be at fullback. His finishing, passing, and one-on-one ability haven't improved this season like we hoped. Yet, he has made huge strides defensively and was basically the de facto right back as he stopped most SKC attacks from even getting to Nerwinski down the right hand side.

Might be, but I think we need to give him more time. Let's see where he's at when he's 18. He won't be the finished product, but maybe we'll know what his best position will be by then. I feel that the system Robbo is playing is having an impact on Davies (clearly), and part of what we are seeing is a kid with remarkable attacking instincts learning how to play Robbo-ball. The fact that he is mostly adapting well, at freaking 16 years old, is damned impressive.

The kid has more to show.

Honestly don't know what to make of that. I know we're not a possession team but 26% and a win... Don't mind the counter attacking football, looked ok in the 2nd half but we were under siege for the first 30 just like the Seattle game.

I thought Hurtado's work rate was really good all night, and he finished on a long ball that MLS strikers usually turn into a half-chance. Impressed with Ghazal in the midfield. Marinovic was outstanding. Thought Mezquida had a quietly solid game. Scrappy effort. 

Waston seemed a bit reckless. Not just the penalty but he nearly took another with his arm dangerously high on a cross. Still he's a crucial piece. Just not sure what he's thinking. 

It's hard to be critical of a team that's first in the west and just handed KC their only home loss of the year with 8 lineup changes after playing mid-week but that could have been very different. Credit to Robbo I guess. I think he has a pretty good idea of who he can count on going forward. I like our chances with our starting 11.

Also, I've realized that time-wasting is an important part of soccer, at least in this part of the world. It's unsportsmanlike and I don't like it but it's allowed to go on so players would be stupid not to do it. Looked like the Caps easily killed six or seven minutes themselves in that second half without considering subs or KC injuries but only 5 minutes added. Might as well just accept that it's allowed and use it to our advantage when ahead.

5 hours ago, TRM said:

OMFG.Did that just happen? Really? Honest? OMFG. 1-0 at SKC with a "B" (damn good "B" team but "B" team none the less). Yes! Holy cow, pass the beer and celebrate the infamy of Robbo-Balling a team. 2 crossbars, 2 huge saves (one GOTW for certain) and Eric Hurtado one times a chip over the keeper!!!! 

PS. The stats are ridiculous. Outplayed everywhere. To give you an idea of how lop sided it was we made 30 clearances and they made 4. Possession was 74/26, passing 88/64, total passes 602/213. But we get the 3 points, our first win at SKC and break their 24 game home unbeaten run. UnBeFuckingLiveable  :)

37 minutes ago, Markus said:

Honestly don't know what to make of that. I know we're not a possession team but 26% and a win... Don't mind the counter attacking football, looked ok in the 2nd half but we were under siege for the first 30 just like the Seattle game.

I said it before but most of the time I watch Vancouver they look terrible yet they still win. Montreal is a terrible team this year but if there was one team that did not deserve 3 or even 1 point in Montreal this year it was Vancouver. I haven't watched all their games but all the games I have watched they looked poor but still won. Yet at the same time they are the first place team in the western division and even if it is winning ugly they are still winning unlike the Impact. Not sure what to make of that, based on what I have seen I would expect them to get knocked out in the first (ok second after the knockout) round of the playoffs but they could also go all the way. It hurts me to admit it but TFC looks full value for their wins this year but the Caps do not but I can't explain their success so best of luck, it has worked so far whatever it is you are doing.

Yes, they are defying all models, whether fancy (xG) or normal (shots on target). They bunker, counter, have excellent goal keeping and are very good on set pieces. It's ridiculous and not usually great to watch but Robinson ball seems to keep on working this year. I'm still skeptical that it will be successful in the playoffs but the West isn't that good this year and they do have a lot of dangerous players and no real weaknesses as a team.

Was some of the worst football I have ever seen in the first half. Looked like all of the confidence was drained from the whitecaps and yet again basic passing was below youth standard at times. What we do best is hit on the break and it paid off. Not confidence filling football and likely not football that will take us all the way but reasonably effective on average.

We are capable of so much more though.

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Oh god, please NO. You don't convert a generational (by CDN standards) attacking talent and turn him into a FB.

55 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Oh god, please NO. You don't convert a generational (by CDN standards) attacking talent and turn him into a FB.

I agree for now, but last night's game screamed Joevin Jones to me. If he is a fullback by age 21 I won't be surprised, even if he still plays as a winger for the national team like Joevin Jones does. Davies best attacking talent this season has been overlapping into space, which is a typical fullback trait. I think he's a withdrawn winger for the Caps the rest of the way.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Agreed. I want him to develop more into a Reyna type player. I'm convinced he will do it. 

49 minutes ago, TRM said:

Agreed. I want him to develop more into a Reyna type player. I'm convinced he will do it. 

Hate to say this but really hopes he gets sold or loaned to a good European team soon. Robbo does not appear to have any ability to develop young talent. Davies needs a team that knows how to make the most of a raw young talent.

2 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Hate to say this but really hopes he gets sold or loaned to a good European team soon. Robbo does not appear to have any ability to develop young talent. Davies needs a team that knows how to make the most of a raw young talent.

Parker and nerwinski disagree. Call it young canadian talent and now you are setting off the caps conspiracy alarm. I actually think the caps have done a good job protecting Davies, while giving him a taste and education in several areas of the pitch. 

He is 16 and playing at a top level. If he moves abroad does he adjust, does he settle into a new setup, system, culture, language? Does he get minutes? I think the safest thing is staying put for another year at least. 

If he is going to one of the top clubs and academies in the world maybe.

People forget he is 16 years old. He isn't supposed to develop yet. Being in a safe and settled environment is pivotal at the moment. The big offers will come. He is way ahead of the curve and I think the fact he has been wrapped in cotton wool a bit this year and probably next too will be invaluable in five, ten and hopefully fifteen plus years time. 

Just for the record I don't think Robinson has a great record with youth either but few coaches do and he will have as much success as failure like the rest. Disappointing we have seen some potentially top young Canadians take backwards steps. We don't also have any inside info as to why though right? Or do we?

17 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Parker and nerwinski disagree. Call it young canadian talent and now you are setting off the caps conspiracy alarm. I actually think the caps have done a good job protecting Davies, while giving him a taste and education in several areas of the pitch. 

Well Parker and Nerwinski came out of college as fairly advanced prospects. And remember Robbo resisted starting Nerwinski over the dreadful Sheanon Williams until just recently (another of his baffling judgement calls). 

I just think a young player like Davies would benefit from the technical training, and the fierce competition, of the top teams. His touch, his control, and his shot all need work and I'm not convinced he gets that top notch training here. 

To all you people being negative and saying that the Caps can't keep playing like that in the playoffs. That was NOT the Caps top team. Vancouver's subs just beat KC In KC where they haven't lost all year. I would call that pretty awesome, I don't care how they did it. Robbo rested his top players and still managed to win one of the toughest fixtures for any team in this league. That is impressive. The Caps are much more cohesive and offensively imposing when they start their main lineup. 

The Caps also have to have some of the best last ditch defending in the league. They play the majority of every game in their own end, but that opens so much space up on the counter. I think they are dangerous enough that they could beat every team in this league, of course they could also loose to every team. But they are winning more than they are loosing which is a good sign.

In reality the strategy they play would not work in other leagues in the world. But it works in the MLS! Which is all that matters.

41 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

To all you people being negative and saying that the Caps can't keep playing like that in the playoffs. That was NOT the Caps top team. Vancouver's subs just beat KC In KC where they haven't lost all year. I would call that pretty awesome, I don't care how they did it. Robbo rested his top players and still managed to win one of the toughest fixtures for any team in this league. That is impressive. The Caps are much more cohesive and offensively imposing when they start their main lineup. 

The Caps also have to have some of the best last ditch defending in the league. They play the majority of every game in their own end, but that opens so much space up on the counter. I think they are dangerous enough that they could beat every team in this league, of course they could also loose to every team. But they are winning more than they are loosing which is a good sign.

In reality the strategy they play would not work in other leagues in the world. But it works in the MLS! Which is all that matters.

As someone mentioned, Leicester just won the EPL playing a very similar style; same with Chelsea's Champions League runs.

1 minute ago, Dub Narcotic said:

As someone mentioned, Leicester just won the EPL playing a very similar style; same with Chelsea's Champions League runs.

True but Barcelona have been more successful and way more fun to watch :)

I think it should also be noted that for one reason or another the Whitecaps are always forced to rotate thru their starting 11. It speaks to spending decent amount on youre roster but not sinking too much in to a couple players. If you ask 10 Cap fans our best 11 you would get 10 different answers. Amazingly enough we might be starting the playoffs with a b 2 b midfielder we haven't even seen yet. This all doesn't really set up for a cohesive unit for moving the ball around. Since we have really strong defensive players, for me the best CB in the league in Waston, and really fast direct players up front, why wouldn't we play the way we do.

Reading comments all over the place you can see why Vancouver sport fans are the way they are. People just don't want them to be relevant in any way 

21 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I think that is a very premature assessment. We have to remember this is a 16 year old kid coming to the end of his first full season in MLS, one which has seen him play 30 times for club and another 6 for country with a rigorous travel schedule and other demands (i.e. schooling) that he won't have when he is older.

Also, Davies' finishing seemed to be pretty good in the Gold Cup when he was the youngest player ever to win a Golden Boot in a major tournament. I think what you're seeing in Vancouver is he is committing to Robinson's playing style of hunkering down defensively and counter-attacking. Personally, I'd look at what he shows offensively under Zambrano over what he shows under Robinson, given the vastly different style of play both coaches have.

It's not as if he was a black hole offensively last night either. In the second half, he had a great through ball to Hurtado who promptly did nothing with the opportunity. On his lone chance on goal, I thought Melia played the angle well, and KC CB's did well to close off the pass option to Bolanos. Maybe if the chance was earlier than the 82nd minute Davies would have had more speed to get a better angle.

bGWrkXx.jpg

If Davies offensive abilities haven't advanced in 3-4 years, then perhaps you convert him into a wingback in the mould of Justin Morrow. But given the offensive qualities that he has shown to date, I can't see that happening right now.

Archived