Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is a good result to take to Seattle. We concentrate on scoring and we are going to be in it until the end. We can be down 1-0 until m. 88, score, and take the series. We could score a 0-1 in extra time, and that would pretty well end it. That forces Seattle to try to win by two. up). He does not read the game at all when the critical minutes come.

I think that they should be able to eliminate the defending MLS champs.  At the very least, the Caps will be a very  tough out in this second leg

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes sense because the away team in the first game only has 90 minutes to produce an away goal so why should the away team in the second leg get 120?  Especially if the higher seed plays the second game at home.  Once you hit extra time away goals shouldn't count for anything.  Also what do you think about the 4th substitute when playing extra time?  I think it is a great idea and one that eliminates games being decided by an injury.

33 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

It makes sense because the away team in the first game only has 90 minutes to produce an away goal so why should the away team in the second leg get 120?  Especially if the higher seed plays the second game at home.  Once you hit extra time away goals shouldn't count for anything.  Also what do you think about the 4th substitute when playing extra time?  I think it is a great idea and one that eliminates games being decided by an injury.

Yes the home team in the 2nd leg won the home advantage by their regular season results so they should not be disadvantaged by the away goal rule in extra time. This is an MLS rule change that makes sense in the system they use for the championship. In a Cup competition where there is a random draw as to who gets home field in 2nd game or in a competition in which teams from different level leagues are playing the away goal rule in extra time can help balance out a random home team advantage.

I've not seen an update today, but Robbo said on Monday that Techera and Reyna will likely not play on Thursday (I think he said 'play', rather than 'start'). Anybody seen an update? I imagine Robbo will be coy until match time, which is wise. IF those two guys are not available, then he must start Mezquida, I think.  And I would expect to see Davies in the squad, perhaps coming in at 60 to replace Shea or Bolanos.  Nosa will likely play, which is a good thing!  Ghazal might be suspended, which would be ridiculous considering the "charges" against him. Seattle is banged up, for sure, but we need Techera and Reyna to help us nick a goal or two. Very interesting to see the starting line-ups on Thursday. 

52 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

I've not seen an update today, but Robbo said on Monday that Techera and Reyna will likely not play on Thursday (I think he said 'play', rather than 'start'). Anybody seen an update? I imagine Robbo will be coy until match time, which is wise. IF those two guys are not available, then he must start Mezquida, I think.  And I would expect to see Davies in the squad, perhaps coming in at 60 to replace Shea or Bolanos.  Nosa will likely play, which is a good thing!  Ghazal might be suspended, which would be ridiculous considering the "charges" against him. Seattle is banged up, for sure, but we need Techera and Reyna to help us nick a goal or two. Very interesting to see the starting line-ups on Thursday. 

After coming into Sunday’s match as second-half subs, Carl Robinson said that Yordy Reyna and Cristian Techera are “touch and go” for Thursday’s second leg in Seattle.

Both players are nursing injuries suffered last Wednesday vs. San Jose.

They were on the training pitch Monday, but it was a light session and Reyna spent a large part of it working on the sidelines with the club’s medical staff.  

“If I had to hazard a guess at the moment, I would say they probably won’t play because they’re not fit,” Robinson told reporters.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/10/30/training-report-presented-muscle-mlk-reyna-techera-touch-and-go-thursdays-second-leg

On 31/10/2017 at 7:58 PM, Club Linesman said:

I fully agree, makes sense to me. And the sub idea too, since too many extra periods are overly cautious with so many players tired. Add one and you have some fresh legs and that helps raise the quality of often cagey final minutes where fear reigns.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

What's the deal with Sea-Van tonight and Por-Hou on Sunday? Seems like the winner tonight will have a rest advantage. Assume the Seahawks are at home Sunday, but why not move the game in Portland to Saturday atleast?

Perhaps Portland and/or Houston would like the extra day before their second leg.  Might give a couple of questionables the time to become possible or probable starters.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Perhaps Portland and/or Houston would like the extra day before their second leg.  Might give a couple of questionables the time to become possible or probable starters.

Caps could’ve used the extra days for Reyna and Techera. 

Wonder if we’ll see Davies on the bench tonight. Likely not. 

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Definitely, because both were pretty poor out there, and Bolanos little better.

Nosa was really strong.  He looks like a good one for next year.

Yeah, Nosa looked good. Presuming we have the same guys available next year, then he MUST be in the starting 11. He and Laba sitting in front of Waston and Parker, with Reyna in front of them. 

I wonder if Montero will be back.

Ghazal is straight awful.. to call his passing Sunday league would be an insult to Sunday leaguers. 

Same problem as 2 years ago for the caps.. no attack.  Vancouver needs their game breaker like valeri or lodeiro paired with a powerful striker so that they can offer more than a quick counter. 

45 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I watched the game, cheering for the whitecaps.  The thing that stood out most for me (completely agreeing with Keegan) is how absolutely awful Ghazal is.

I thought he was channeling his inner-Tchani with his passing.  He made some interceptions with his long legs and in the first half looked to be responsible for minding Dempsey when the Seattle man a little deeper to get service, but he doesn't strike as a particularly nimble/agile defender in close quarters 1 v 1.

Archived