Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

On 21/09/2017 at 8:54 AM, Dub Narcotic said:

AFTN just had a big interview with Robinson where he blamed his inelegant style on a lack of funds to afford a MIchael Bradley-type. Of course, they were then passed off the park by Columbus and Greg Berhalter who spend way less on their squad.

That whole "we don't have x" routine falls apart when we get out possessed by other teams. The strange thing is I've seen the Caps do the possession game occasionally under Robbo's reign but our standard is the 4-5-1 with a bunker and counter strategy. 

I don't think the difference is an overpaid Roma bench player. It is a team strategy and confidence in their pass making and receiving. 

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Let's not pretend that overpaying Serie A bench players hasn't worked out pretty well for TFC. 

Not pretending that at all. Just saying I don't think that is the difference between the Caps as they are and as they could be. Of course every team could use a Yaya Toure to improve. 

Well another win "Robbo style" so I'm happy with the 3 points. At least we are taking max points off the weaker teams. Our strategy seems to be get the ball to Montero & Reyna which works because those 2 are extremely skilled players. Even against a weak team we have 43% possession and on 68% passing. I thought we went long way too much tonight. No balance in attack. The quality of our 2 main weapons means we can get away with it for now. 

As expected without Laba we are playing 2 DMs. 

4 minutes ago, TRM said:

Well another win "Robbo style" so I'm happy with the 3 points. At least we are taking max points off the weaker teams. Our strategy seems to be get the ball to Montero & Reyna which works because those 2 are extremely skilled players. Even against a weak team we have 43% possession and on 68% passing. I thought we went long way too much tonight. No balance in attack. The quality of our 2 main weapons means we can get away with it for now. 

As expected without Laba we are playing 2 DMs. 

The roster just isn't built to pass through the central channels. There isn't an MLS quality two-way midfielder on the whole team (maybe Shea?), which leaves the team in a defending and attacking groups. The only way the defending group can get the ball to the attacking group while being pressed is Robbo ball. It's not pretty, but the defend is solid enough and the attack is dynamic enough to make it work. 

The first goal was really nice.  The other two goals in the game weren't very good.  For a guy of his pedigree, Howard look pretty poor with his shitty beer league quality positioning on Reyna's winner.  I think when Reyna final caught up to the ball he was shooting from the penalty spot.  Playing behind a glacial CB in Sjoberg, your keeper needs to be more aware as sweeper.

On a positive note, I sure like De Jong's form right now.  I hope he starts in the playoffs. 

Some of the basic passing skills are beyond shocking. I lost count of the simple passes that instead just went to the opposition. 

Looking forward to seeing how Nosa fits into the team. A potentially nice playoff boost. Ghazal looks like he might be a great addition. 

The negative passing and possession stats aside I still like the depth in this squad and different options each player brings. 

It's far from all star but I think it's the deepest we have had albeit still lightweight up top.

Honestly, I'm glad that tonight's game happened now rather than later. Now we know that we can't rely on Williams, Teibert, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Harvey. I'd be shocked if Williams and Teibert saw the field for the rest of this year (and ever again).

I expect MDJ, Ghazal, Nerwinski and the A team to play against SKC.

Sad game last night. Out possessed, shot, scored, duelled, tackled. 
Tchani was 27/37 passing and his "jogging" back cost us. 
Teibert missed a lot of intercepts but at least his passing was good (33/35) plus 2 tackles won, 1 tackle lost, 5 intercepts & 5 recoveries. 

I don't think Russ was as bad as others are saying. Tchani was bad. Hopefully Aly or Nosa can do that role and keep "jog along Tchani on the bench".

With Aly and Nosa coming into the squad, and with Laba due back next year, it is difficult to see how Tiebert, Jacobson and Tchani see the pitch. Tchani had a poor game last night, for sure. He is usually a more tidy player than that, especially with his passing. Having said that, he is not the sort of player who makes an incisive pass FORWARD. He tried last night, but got killed with the poor pass that Marshall picked off.

Williams seemed lost out there. Bola seemed rusty, but there were some nice moments where he and Reyna and Montero linked up nicely. Ibini was pedestrian.  Techera had a few nice moments when he came on; he must be in the starting 11.  Davies did not get much of a sniff, but did well enough.

Seattle moved the ball so quickly and effectively through the midfield last night. I hate Seattle, but I couldn't help but admire their play through the middle. Maybe Laba and Aly would snuff that shit out, but their midfield killed ours last night.

From what I've read, Nosa is a pretty fine player. Not sure he'll be able to make a difference this year, but I am excited to see how our midfield shapes up next year with Reyna, Bola, Techera, Nosa, Aly and Laba, and Davies.

SKC is going to be a tough game, but I suspect the boys will rebound nicely. I'd play Hurtado up front; give Freddy the day off. Lots of football still to play.

4 hours ago, The Beaver said:

With Aly and Nosa coming into the squad, and with Laba due back next year, it is difficult to see how Tiebert, Jacobson and Tchani see the pitch.

Jacobson is the swiss army knife for Robbo. He can effectively play 3 or 4 positions. He is old so will probably be gone. Russ will be back as he is also flexible but needs seriously needs Laba to school him on approaching players as missing intercepts creates opportunities. Tchani? Sheesh, can't be gone soon enough. 

Williams seemed lost out there.

They really attacked his side and he didn't do well. About 2/3rds of Seattle's passes were on William's side, 6/8 crosses.  

Seattle moved the ball so quickly and effectively through the midfield last night.

Their one touch passes gave our whole midfield fits. 

I hate Seattle, 

Me too. Sucks that they beat TFC last year in the final. Of all the teams I don't want to see win it's them. 

5 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Seattle moved the ball so quickly and effectively through the midfield last night.

That's primarily because they have more than two guys properly involved in their build up interplay.  Better, cohesive, organized attacking play from a collective, at least on this evening, though I saw similar stuff when they where at BC Place in the previous derby match.  There were times in the second half where I felt like they had an extra man on the field while at the same time the Caps seemed a man short .

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

That's primarily because they have more than two guys properly involved in their build up interplay.  Better, cohesive, organized attacking play from a collective, at least on this evening, though I saw similar stuff when they where at BC Place in the previous derby match.  There were times in the second half where I felt like they had an extra man on the field while at the same time the Caps seemed a man short .

But really, we are praising stuff that any semi-pro coach should be able to handle. All year opposing teams can run around and through us because we have no concerted pressure on the ball, our off the ball movement defensively is always late, we do not move like a team. We very often look silly, though since we don't often get scored on looking silly, it just looks silly but does not matter.

Robinson simply has no idea of any of this, it is not in his repertoire, so much so that he doesn't even realize why we can't do this basic stuff like move a team to pressure a ball. When you see a rival that does not have possession but does not concede chances, it is impressive, I sat watching Sporting Lisbon the other night vs. Barça and thinking what a good team, and they had less than 40% of the ball. It is, in the 21st century, pretty standard stuff to know how this works. I only don't see it with guys coaching kids teams. 

But hey "I can't fault my boys for effort, they give their all every night, sometimes its not pretty but they do the job." I'm going to make a video of his press conferences and donate it to the UBC Museum of Anthropology for their oral culture section.

I disagree that Robinson doesn't know what he's doing. If you listen to that recent AFTN issue he's just a big fan of defensive third pressure and counter-attacking and is quite fond of citing trends in the European game to justify his style.

They have done some high pressure this year as well, although it seems to be more opportunistic than anything. I don't think this style of play is the best choice for MLS with the parity and the need to entertain at home to actually get fans back in the stands, but it's been reasonably successful for him.

A friend of mine was vacationing in Croatia this summer and met Eduardo DaSilva 

DaSilva kept asking questions about Vancouver as a city and that he is considering moving there to play for the Soccer team. Has anyone else heard of this is true?

h

9 hours ago, snake said:

A friend of mine was vacationing in Croatia this summer and met Eduardo DaSilva 

DaSilva kept asking questions about Vancouver as a city and that he is considering moving there to play for the Soccer team. Has anyone else heard of this is true?

h

Even if true,  at 34 y/o,  no thanks.

OMFG.Did that just happen? Really? Honest? OMFG. 1-0 at SKC with a "B" (damn good "B" team but "B" team none the less). Yes! Holy cow, pass the beer and celebrate the infamy of Robbo-Balling a team. 2 crossbars, 2 huge saves (one GOTW for certain) and Eric Hurtado one times a chip over the keeper!!!! 

PS. The stats are ridiculous. Outplayed everywhere. To give you an idea of how lop sided it was we made 30 clearances and they made 4. Possession was 74/26, passing 88/64, total passes 602/213. But we get the 3 points, our first win at SKC and break their 24 game home unbeaten run. UnBeFuckingLiveable  :)

Archived