Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

9 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Yeah, Nosa looked good. Presuming we have the same guys available next year, then he MUST be in the starting 11. He and Laba sitting in front of Waston and Parker, with Reyna in front of them. 

I wonder if Montero will be back.

Since Tchani washed out in the Koffie role, Nosa looks like he'd be a good complement for Laba, if he returns in similar form from injury.  Question is:  is he coming back?

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the most part these teams are fairly even, but Lodeiro and Dempsey were the difference in quality, especially Lodeiro. He is the wizard in their attack, and the Caps simply do not have a player like him. Those of us who watch the Caps closely have been bemoaning a lack of such a player all year. Reyna, when healthy, was very good in a similar role, but never at the dominant level of Lodeiro

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Since Tchani washed out in the Koffie role, Nosa looks like he'd be a good complement for Laba, if he returns in similar form from injury.  Question is:  is he coming back?

Yes, Nosa and Laba together will be brilliant. Nosa has more still to offer. We’ve not seen the best of him yet. From what I understand, Laba IS coming back. Or maybe that is only wishful thinking 

Was De Jong so gassed so he couldn't finish the match?  Because his diagonal crossing service into the box was probably the Caps' best option for poaching a goal (great pass to Montero in the first half by him, btw).  It seemed to me that they needed to get another bigger body up top to support Montero and make something happen with balls into the box.  Ibini hasn't been in great form, I get it, but he seemed like the best option for such a job.

6 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Reyna, when healthy, was very good in a similar role, but never at the dominant level of Lodeiro

I thought Roldan and others did a good job of closing down the Peruvian before he could take flight.  And with an injury being nursed, he was a non factor out there. 

13 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought Roldan and others did a good job of closing down the Peruvian before he could take flight.  And with an injury being nursed, he was a non factor out there. 

Totally agree. Normally the Caps use the wings to get around teams that clog the middle, but Techera was clearly not 100%, and Bolanos isn’t that type of winger

Think it's time for Vancouver to move on from Robinson... new fresh ideas would be a good thing for this team and a manager wanting to push Davies to play not protect him. Davies will get better by playing does he need to start no, but should of have way more game time this year.... Robinson been good, but it's time honestly...

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Was De Jong so gassed so he couldn't finish the match?  Because his diagonal crossing service into the box was probably the Caps' best option for poaching a goal (great pass to Montero in the first half by him, btw).  It seemed to me that they needed to get another bigger body up top to support Montero and make something happen with balls into the box.  Ibini hasn't been in great form, I get it, but he seemed like the best option for such a job.

That was bizarre. If they were going to go three at the back (it is still unclear what their plan was when they took DeJong off), they should have subbed out Harvey. I know that he came in as a sub, but he offers nothing going forward. To sub Shea on down a goal and then have him play half of that time at left back was bewildering to say the least. Sadly, DeJong as a left back, was probably their most effective offensive player over the two legs. 

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought he was channeling his inner-Tchani with his passing.  He made some interceptions with his long legs and in the first half looked to be responsible for minding Dempsey when the Seattle man a little deeper to get service, but he doesn't strike as a particularly nimble/agile defender in close quarters 1 v 1.

Up until last night, I thought Ghazal  has been decent to good. He picked a bad time to turn out one of the worst performances by a Whitecaps midfielder in the MLS era (Peter Vagenas and John Thorrington might have rivaled last night's performance). 

12 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Up until last night, I thought Ghazal  has been decent to good. He picked a bad time to turn out one of the worst performances by a Whitecaps midfielder in the MLS era (Peter Vagenas and John Thorrington might have rivaled last night's performance). 

yeah, I agree. Still, he was mostly tidy last night, just not tidy enough in a couple of key instances.  I still feel he will prove an upgrade on guys like Tchani, Jacobson and Tiebert.  Keep in mind that the Nosa, Ghazal and Reyna are all new to the team, and have not played much together. while the caps did not do much going forward, they had more of the ball than I'd expected, and were mostly very tidy. I feel they are still lacking some quality in key attacking areas, but I like what I've seen from Nosa in the short amount of time that he's been with the team.  I expect we'll see stronger performances next year--and better football--if only because these quality additions will have had time to build chemistry with the entire team. 

As for replacing Robbo, that does not seem likely. If the FO felt that they'd spent a bunch of cash on marquee players but Robbo still underperformed, then I could see him getting his marching papers.  But the team never over spends, and Robbo helped this team over perform, which means it would be ridiculous for the FO to replace him.  I believe that the entire organization is working with a five-year plan, or some such thing, and so far they are on track. Robbo is indeed part of that plan, at least for another year.

My big regret is that we likely have seen the last of Ousted as he moves on to other footballing challenges.  The man was an excellent servant for the club, both off the field and on.  No doubt he was bitterly disappointed not to get the starts in the playoffs, but he handled himself with absolute class.  Massive props, David!

18 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

My big regret is that we likely have seen the last of Ousted as he moves on to other footballing challenges.  The man was an excellent servant for the club, both off the field and on.  No doubt he was bitterly disappointed not to get the starts in the playoffs, but he handled himself with absolute class.  Massive props, David!

I think the last several games with Ousted and Harvey on the bench was Robbo transitioning to the lineup he knows he will have next year. It is apparent that deJong and Marinovic are now first choice at their positions and it is theirs to lose. 

Sad to see Ousted go as he has been a huge difference in so many games. That said I'm sure David has been approached by clubs in Europe willing to pay more than the $400k he was getting in MLS so I'm happy for him. 

Harvey has been a consistent MLS journeyman for us and had his best seasons with us. For $180k I'd say he was good value. Not as sad to see him go as I rate Marcel higher, he is almost 4 years younger, slightly cheaper at $140k and I favour canucks naturally. I hope Marcel gets a raise :)

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎04 at 4:33 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

Lafc would do well to throw some tam at ousted. 

Pretty sure he is heading back to Europe. This is why the Caps needed to find a new #1. Ousted has been wanting to head back for quite some time. Sad to see him go. (But Marionovic is a very capable replacement, maybe even an improvement.)

Will be sad to see Ousted leave. A fantastic servant, performer and character from the outside and reportedly the same from the inside. His position looks left in safe hands though. I wish David well!

Overall there are quite a few in the squad I'd move on and like to see upgraded. Too many to be realistic really. 

Really we need at least 5 improved players a starting RB, LB, 2x Strikers and a winger. 

Williams has been a disaster, Harvey like Ousted has been a great servant but looks like he is on his way. Nerwinski and De Jong have done well, arguably to justify starting next year but is hope for upgrades. Fingers crossed Levis can pick up where he left off. 

I don't see Techera and Bolanos here next year. Neither have lived up to there potential imo. Maybe harsh on Bolanos. They both have clear quality but consistency hasn't been there. Rosales will surely be gone too.  

Upfront Montero might not be back but even if he is we need more quality around him and as alternatives. Hurtado should have been moved on years ago, Greig offers nothing, Ibini needs minutes and some extra time to settle will do him good imo.

Maybe question marks around CB too. Dean must be on his way out, possibly Seiler too. Maund is almost an unknown. If we get a pre injury edgar back that will be a huge boost but time will tell how much toll it has taken on him.

Jacobson and tchani also have future doubts like whether Laba will stay on. I'd only be sad about losing Laba. I like the prospect of a Laba -Nosa -Reyna central triangle. 

Robinson has obviously earned another year. Like his football or not it's a clear improvement this year in position in the table and the playoffs. Consistency is good even if it means more possible snore fests. 

Should be an interesting off season. 

* Dean is already gone to Chicago.

* Techera was the best attacker not named Montero.

* Bolanos is old and playing in the World Cup next year. He had his moments but hopefully won't be back.

* Ibini was worse than Hurtado.

* They signed someone new at CB already, forget his name.

* Tchani's contract is up, doubt he'll be back.

* Robinson is a mediocre coach with a boring style. I wish he'd get canned but I agree he's around for a while.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Robinson has obviously earned another year. Like his football or not it's a clear improvement this year in position in the table and the playoffs. Consistency is good even if it means more possible snore fests. 

I sincerely believe that his success this year has had much more to do with good fortune than anything else.  I could see them continue the snore fests but instead lose a whole bunch more matches.  I just wonder what the excuses will be should expectations not be met.

18 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Pretty sure he is heading back to Europe. This is why the Caps needed to find a new #1. Ousted has been wanting to head back for quite some time. Sad to see him go. (But Marionovic is a very capable replacement, maybe even an improvement.)

Agreed, he will be missed. My son and his friends from ages 5 to 8 always went to Whitecaps summer camps and Ousted was the Caps player there each time. A solid dude, he genuinely seemed to enjoying meeting the kids and answering their questions. 

19 hours ago, toontownman said:

Will be sad to see Ousted leave. A fantastic servant, performer and character from the outside and reportedly the same from the inside. His position looks left in safe hands though. I wish David well!

Overall there are quite a few in the squad I'd move on and like to see upgraded. Too many to be realistic really. 

Really we need at least 5 improved players a starting RB, LB, 2x Strikers and a winger. 

Williams has been a disaster, Harvey like Ousted has been a great servant but looks like he is on his way. Nerwinski and De Jong have done well, arguably to justify starting next year but is hope for upgrades. Fingers crossed Levis can pick up where he left off. 

I don't see Techera and Bolanos here next year. Neither have lived up to there potential imo. Maybe harsh on Bolanos. They both have clear quality but consistency hasn't been there. Rosales will surely be gone too.  

Upfront Montero might not be back but even if he is we need more quality around him and as alternatives. Hurtado should have been moved on years ago, Greig offers nothing, Ibini needs minutes and some extra time to settle will do him good imo.

Maybe question marks around CB too. Dean must be on his way out, possibly Seiler too. Maund is almost an unknown. If we get a pre injury edgar back that will be a huge boost but time will tell how much toll it has taken on him.

Jacobson and tchani also have future doubts like whether Laba will stay on. I'd only be sad about losing Laba. I like the prospect of a Laba -Nosa -Reyna central triangle. 

Should be an interesting off season. 

Wow, I really tried but I can't agree with a single thing you said (I'm lying and exagerrating as usual)

This team with a new coach able to play to our strengths, and a new CM with some ball sense, is actually one of the better sides man for man in the league. It's more a question of will than players, the players are more or less right, eliminating Tchani and Ghazal and hiring Hutchinson (to give an example), we are a clear contender next year. But with a new coach, Robinson is one of the worst I have ever seen at a professional level. I mean, hire the guy at Ostersunds, Graham Potter, guy's a genious.

Archived