NASL Retools for 2017

CDNFootballer

On October 31, 2016 at 9:57 PM, jpg75 said:

No, those are not your average Bundesliga ticket prices. When i went to Germany in 2007 we paid 30 Euros to see Bochum-Stuttgart and 45 Euros to see B2 Moenchengladbach - St. Pauli.

Depends on the club I guess. I checked prices for a recent Schalke/Athletic Bilbao Europa league match and it was 15 Euros to 20 Euros max every where in Veltins Arena minus the small VIP section.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Depends on the club I guess. I checked prices for a recent Schalke/Athletic Bilbao Europa league match and it was 15 Euros to 20 Euros max every where in Veltins Arena minus the small VIP section.

That was a friendly not a Europa League match. The Europa League matches do have reasonable prices though, the upcoming game against Krasnodar has prices ranging from 15 to 30 Euros. The reason for that is there is less demand for these matches so reducing the ticket prices is how they fill the stadium. Their attendance is good for these matches but still less than for Bundesliga games despite the cheap prices. For Bundesliga games their ticket range is from 15.50 to 52 Euro. 

Rumblings on the often mentioned Las Vegas NASL possibility from Dan Krieger :

"North American Soccer League: A potential ownership group in Las Vegas is trying to bring an NASL team to the city, but would need to find a suitable soccer venue. When the NASL's San Antonio Scorpions announced the team would not return for the 2016 season and a United Soccer League team took over the market, there was a failed attempt to move the NASL's San Antonio franchise to Las Vegas. "

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/weekly-sports-league--franchise-report/n-5214047

Armada Exercise Contract Options on Five Players

http://www.armadafc.com/news/2016/11/04/armada-exercise-contract-options-on-five-players-

"The Jacksonville Armada FC have started to prepare for the 2017 North American Soccer League season by announcing today that the team has exercised the contract options for Tyler Ruthven, Mechack Jérôme, Matt Bahner, Charles Eloundou and Sean Lewis. These five players will return to the Armada for the 2017 season. "

NASL met with possible expansion groups last weekend in Indianapolis.

MidField Press  came out with an updated article today mentioning NASL Expansion :

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/11/09/nasl-usl-mls-canpl-expansion-news-rumors-tracker-november-2016-edition/

Peter Wilt told the Indianapolis Business Journal, “I think the league will have some announcements in November.  I think you’re going to see some positive growth.”   We checked in with Peter Wilt and he clarified that we should not expect Chicago to be one of these announcements, as the venue issue needs to be resolved first.  He also clarified that the end of November would be the earliest for these other announcements, and December/January is more likely.

The Possible Markets for NASL :

Chicago (2018)

San Diego Area (2018)

Detroit

Philadelphia Fury

Atlanta

Las Vegas

OC California

Los Angelas (Fall 2017 or 2018)

Baltimore

Omaha

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the catch all thread for NASL doings that are transpiring, but Marc dos Santos has said that SF Deltas have already signed 3 players, including one yet-to-be-named Canadian. Shall we start the rumour mill now? I'll throw Maxim Tissot out there and see where it goes.

http://the11.ca/marc-dos-santos-sf-deltas-will-have-canadian-content/

20 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Not sure if this is the catch all thread for NASL doings that are transpiring, but Marc dos Santos has said that SF Deltas have already signed 3 players, including one yet-to-be-named Canadian. Shall we start the rumour mill now? I'll throw Maxim Tissot out there and see where it goes.

http://the11.ca/marc-dos-santos-sf-deltas-will-have-canadian-content/

I'm betting a departing Fury player. Tissot? Maybe someone he coached previously in Ottawa? 

• 2 weeks later...

FC Edmonton owner Fath: “The expectation is that we will play in the NASL in 2017”

http://the11.ca/fc-edmonton-owner-fath-the-expectation-is-that-we-will-play-in-the-nasl-in-2017/

“The expectation is that we will play in the NASL in 2017,” said Fath, who owns the team with his brother, Dave. “We have most of our players under contract for next season. We have some holes to fill, of course. But we are moving forward.”

Has the NASL found a savior in Carlos Slim?

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/lewis.php?article_id=46568

"Now comes word of someone with deep pockets wanting to get involved in the ailing league.

I have been told that Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim is interested in the league. Slim, who has owned the Pachuca and Leon teams in Liga MX, was ranked as the richest man in the world from 2010-2013. He has slipped to No. 7, according to Forbes magazine.

Still, not too shabby.

Riccardo Silva, the owner of Miami FC, has told several people at the BOD meetings that Slim wants in."

5 groups interested in joining NASL as expansion clubs :

Four groups presented in the NASL BOG meetings last Tuesday are apparently San Diego, LA, Detroit, and Chicago according to rumors.

Atlanta, who was earlier in the year discussed as having a group wanting to bring an NASL club back to the city was again mentioned yesterday as in the mix.

So who is definitely on board? PR, Miami, Indy XI, Edmonton and San Francisco? The Cosmos appear to be about to fold (the Carlos Slim thing was bogus) and Carolina and Jax are said to want to defect to the USL. Guess they can prop up Fort Lauderdale as a league owned operation and try to make a go of it with six teams at D3 level, if the USSF will sign off on all the waivers to sanctoining standards that would be needed and attempt to rebuild from there.

The USSF need to get involved and merge the two leagues. Independent clubs are div.2(nasl, usl clubs like sacremento, Ottawa)  and the feeder clubs and MLS 2 clubs are div.3. They can have inter-play schedules. start promotion n relegation in two/three years. 

It's been reported several times that Carlos Slim is not interested. 

I suspect Puerto Rico is fighting for NASL to survive because USL doesn't want them (emphasis on low travel costs), Fath is a true NASL believer, SF doesn't want to lose it's expansion fee, Indy 11 and Miami sees themselves as above USL... 

If they manage to retain 6 teams for 2017 and the 4 expansions are actually still interested for 2018, NASL could survive in some form, but I'm not banking on it. If NASL is stripped of D2 status, I can't imagine those 4 expansions have any reason to consider NASL

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

It's been reported several times that Carlos Slim is not interested.

To clarify there's 2 seperate items for the Carlos Slim rumors :

1) Possible purchase of the New York Cosmos which he apparently is not interested in according to a relative.

2) Possible investment in the NASL in the form of possibly buying into league ownership and/or starting an expansion club.

According to the Miami FC's owner, Da Silva, who's talked of this in the last few days it has been corroborated as true.

8 hours ago, yothat said:

The USSF need to get involved and merge the two leagues. Independent clubs are div.2(nasl, usl clubs like sacremento, Ottawa)  and the feeder clubs and MLS 2 clubs are div.3. They can have inter-play schedules. start promotion n relegation in two/three years. 

USSF can't/won't force a merger, the two league's are separate businesses with different models. More likely any partnering the NASL does, either as a D2 or D3 league while rebuilding, will be with NPSL and clubs like Detroit City FC who have been having discussions with NASL in the last week apparently.

8 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

If they manage to retain 6 teams for 2017 and the 4 expansions are actually still interested for 2018, NASL could survive in some form, but I'm not banking on it. If NASL is stripped of D2 status, I can't imagine those 4 expansions have any reason to consider NASL

There's been a rumor USSF may grant NASL a waiver for D2 for 2017 for not having the full number of clubs with the caveat the 4 clubs or more will join for the 2018 season.

Even if the NASL has to operate as a D3 league possibly it shouldn't hinder the league too much and it will afford the league to rebuild with lower expansion and league dues in the way USL did. The onfield product will likely be the same, the D2-3 designations really don't mean much in the absense of pro rel and with the NASL likely to be only lacking in the club count for D2 while its ownership, financial, media, stadiums, etc remain D2 compliant even with a D3 sanctioning.

Archived