NASL Retools for 2017

CDNFootballer

One thing that might help the NASL get the help they need from USSF, is that the existence of some sort of pro level domestic alternative to MLS has been useful to MLS in the past when it comes to fending off anti-trust law challenges from their players' union:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser_v._Major_League_Soccer

The USL may be too closely linked to MLS to do the job effectively on that.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NASL Can Survive, Rebuild, & Thrive With D3 Sanctioning

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/12/07/nasl-can-survive-rebuild-thrive-with-d3-sanctioning/

"The D2 and D3 designations are basically meaningless in the current US pyramid that has a lack of Pro/Rel. The real difference in the D2 and D3 levels is in the type of league models of each circuit. NASL is an independent professional league while USL is a mix of MLS minor league reserve and affiliate teams and a minority of independent clubs. This will not change if they swap Divisional sanctioning levels.

NASL can achieve increased expansion as a D3 league by offering lower expansion fees and league dues than USL to make it a more attractive option to groups wishing to operate a professional independent team. Principle owner at the D3 level also has to have a net worth of $10 million as opposed to $20 Million at the D2 level, another advantage for expanding the league at this level. It would also not be hindered by a reserve/affiliate label. With 4-5 groups interested in starting expansion clubs in the NASL for 2018 (4 of them at the NASL BOG last week) they can rebuild the league and over time reach 16-20 teams before applying to move back up a level in the future, basically doing what USL did the last few years but without turning themselves into a partial minor league with reserve and affiliate clubs."

16 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

"The D2 and D3 designations are basically meaningless in the current US pyramid that has a lack of Pro/Rel."

LOL, these guys are hilarious. Way to try and spin a turd sandwich into something edible. :lol:

On 12/8/2016 at 6:56 PM, Blackdude said:

I doubt that the D2, D3 isn't menaingless for NASL. If NASL is D3, and clubs see that D2 is cheaper, why would they go in D3? I think that it was the reason why NASL was able to survive for multiple years until MLS propped up USL 3 years ago.

Why would it be cheaper though? If NASL becomes D3 then they won't be asking for more than the Usl's going rate of 5 million expansion fees they would ask less, especially since they need growth.

Deltas Ink First Three Players In Club History

http://www.nasl.com/news/2016/12/12/deltas-ink-first-three-players-in-club-history

The San Francisco Deltas have added the first pieces to their inaugural roster, the club announced today. Goalkeeper Romuald Peiser, defender Nana Attakora, and winger Jackson Henrique Gonçalves Pereira, simply known as Jackson, will suit up for the Deltas for the 2017 season.

NASL hopes to have 8-10 teams in 2017

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/leagues/nasl2.php?article_id=46662

The North American Soccer League is making plans to go ahead with its 2017 season.

With talk and rumors that the league would merge with the United Soccer League, the NASL plan to have an 8-10 team league next year, according to a reliable soccer source.

The NASL has plans to expand to 12-14 teams for the 2018 season, although some new clubs could join the league for next year, said the source, which could not say which cities may join the league.

The magic number appears to be keeping seven on board as the exit fee drops drastically at that point (as long as the USSF doesn't downgrade the league to D3, which they appear reluctant to do in case they face a lawsuit). Puerto Rico, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Carolina, Indianapolis, Edmonton and San Francisco are all still on the right side of the grass, so it looks like they might be able to hang in there as they can always have a couple of league operated teams if they are determined enough to keep this going and confident enough that there really are four expansion franchises just over the horizon.

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/game-chicken-steep-price-exit-fees-dictating-nasls-future/

This is a great example of how rumour gets picked up, gets repeated, and begins to carry on as fact. The specific rumour here was the idea that USL was going to be granted Div2 status. Interesting how that was taken for truth and how often it was repeated. The fact that it was accepted as truth also changed the way in which people filter all the information coming at them ... USL as Div2 makes the entire landscape look much different. 

Interestingly, many of the NASL owners likely knew that USL wasn't going to meet Div2 standards and what looked like them all sitting and waiting to jump to USL now looks more like them realizing there is no reason to move and getting on with business, especially in FCE's case. What looked like the NASL scrambling to survive now looks like USL scrambling, and ultimately failing to get Div2 status. Funny how one or two pieces of information can colour the view in a particular way. 

Tom Fath, who kind of looked a bit crazy re-signing Miller and setting up their pop-up store, now looks like the most sensible one. If other teams have been sitting on their hands waiting, FCE is way ahead in their prep for 2017. 

The thing with these latest rumours for me is that, these same two people (Nipun Chopra and Bob Williams) were reporting NASL's demise a few weeks ago via "sources". So I think what is most clear is the fact that until anything official is announced by either the USSF or the respective league, no one really has any idea what is going on with NASL / USL and how their respective leagues will look in the spring.

At this point, I'm just going to ignore any rumours about the two leagues as the story seems to change by the day. What we know is that Edmonton appear to be finally making progress at the gate (according to the Steven Sandor story that they've sold more season tickets by December 2016 than in all previous years), and that itself is quite promising.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The USSF said they were giving it another 7 to 10 days to allow for negotiations. I think the expectation must have been that the NASL would have imploded by now, but nobody was willing to be the one paying the multimillion dollar exit fee to make it happen easily for everybody else.

Or if the USSF made it clear that many USL teams did not meet Div2 requirements and therefore USL was not likely to get Div2 status, there was far less incentive for the NASL teams to jump ship. Not that Div2 vs Div3 is the only factor, but it may have been enough of a factor. 

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

The thing with these latest rumours for me is that, these same two people (Nipun Chopra and Bob Williams) were reporting NASL's demise a few weeks ago via "sources". So I think what is most clear is the fact that until anything official is announced by either the USSF or the respective league, no one really has any idea what is going on with NASL / USL and how their respective leagues will look in the spring.

At this point, I'm just going to ignore any rumours about the two leagues as the story seems to change by the day. What we know is that Edmonton appear to be finally making progress at the gate (according to the Steven Sandor story that they've sold more season tickets by December 2016 than in all previous years), and that itself is quite promising.

I think what's been interesting with both of those twitter folks is that they've been regularly saying that all of this information is from sources but that they don't know whether or not it is true. They've even put qualifiers on it from time to time (this person has told me reliable things in the past or this source has been incorrect in the past). It's just a reminder that sources, regardless of how 'inside' they are, make the same mistakes that everyone else does ... They jump to conclusions that they want to jump to because they interpret things favourably for their own view.

15 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I know a lot of people want to see FC Edmonton join the planned CPL but I am glad the NASL is still alive. I feel the league can still provide a good partnership to our proposed Division 1 league even if it's an indirect one. 

So... "CPL reserve teams to play in NASL confirmed" then?

I like the NASL. It provides a different sort of play to what we see in MLS or USL, and provides all sorts of interesting things on the side. If true that they are continuing, I'm glad that FC Edmonton have a place to play next year. I'd love to see them in CPL, but I'll settle for hearing of their exploits in NASL.

Archived