NASL Retools for 2017

CDNFootballer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2017 at 7:28 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

MLS team, strong MLS bid + NPSL, USL + MLS (OC is commutable to Galaxy games), strong MLS bid. NASL certainly doesn't like doing things the easy way.

Chicago's MLS team is in a poor location in the suburbs and Chicago NASL will be in the city. Detroit won't have an MLS team for quite a few years even if it eventually is approved which is not a sure thing. OC USL team is not a serious competitor and the LA market is very big and  can support multiple teams if locations are separate enough.

Dealing with the facts 2 of the 4 markets have MLS teams but there's room for another club with the market size.

9 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/30/indianapolis-mls-expansion-application-indy-eleven-nasl

Indy Eleven announce bid for MLS expansion. Seems rather unlikely, but not good to see one of the most committed clubs looking to jump ship. Wonder what's been going on with NASL behind the scenes lately

To say that they're looking to jump ship is a little incorrect in my opinion... More like they're trying to move to the next level. It won't happen for several years, and its one of the biggest fan bases in the NASL. Makes sense.
This is life in a closed league system. NASL needs to use this as another victory rather than looking at it negatively. "We've had ____ teams develop and move up to the next level"  type thing.

51 minutes ago, jedinathan said:

To say that they're looking to jump ship is a little incorrect in my opinion... More like they're trying to move to the next level. It won't happen for several years, and its one of the biggest fan bases in the NASL. Makes sense.
This is life in a closed league system. NASL needs to use this as another victory rather than looking at it negatively. "We've had ____ teams develop and move up to the next level"  type thing.

True, I suppose I'm still thinking with the "NASL attempting to be D1" attitude that likely left with Peterson

Just now, Complete Homer said:

True, I suppose I'm still thinking with the "NASL attempting to be D1" attitude that likely left with Peterson

Yep. If anything, this shows the shift in ideology now. Just read a good point on Reddit... the new freedom to declare MLS intentions might help... Previously, clubs might have felt that it was discouraged, while USL was the one route. Now NASL is showing that they can be that route as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎31 at 10:34 AM, jedinathan said:

They should look for owners looking to grow with the league. I thought that's what they're going to do now going forward considering the new commissioner did mention they were changing the way owners were being vetted.

16 hours ago, Macksam said:

They should look for owners looking to grow with the league. I thought that's what they're going to do now going forward considering the new commissioner did mention they were changing the way owners were being vetted.

To this topic, there's a good interview with a few people from the Midfield Press about some (now) public bids for NASL in Orange County, as well as San Diego. Atlanta has also gone public this week.
I think the shift is now that the NASL is more comfortable/concerned with growing to become a stable D2. Not trying to rush things and be D1 because COSMOS!!!! but they're actually doing things right.

Again, I think that this is a)not a guaranteed jump to another league, and b ) not going to happen for awhile, if any of the NASL clubs actually are approved to go to MLS.

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/02/23/exclusive-orange-county-group-closes-in-on-nasl-expansion/

Archived