NASL Retools for 2017

CDNFootballer

NASL exploring expansion to San Diego, Orange County

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-nasl-2016-1228-story.html

"Wilt declined to name his clients but said discussions have been ongoing for months in the hopes of having both teams on the field for the fall season, which begins in July. Wilt said his group, Club 9, is looking at several sites in Orange County."

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NASL Owners to Press Forward — Without Bill Peterson

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/nasl-owners-press-forward-without-bill-peterson/

"What once appeared dead in the water has suddenly been resurrected. There’s now a growing confidence that the NASL will live to play another season. It seems as if the PSG Academy group will indeed take over the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. Meanwhile, there are multiple groups circling around the New York Cosmos, possibly having them ready for the fall. Meanwhile, clubs (including Indy and Edmonton) are already negotiating NASL-specific contracts with new players. Groups within the USL don’t believe any more teams will defect from the NASL.

The ownership groups have also pulled off a coup of sorts, completely saving the league without the assistance of commissioner Bill Peterson."

A 20-team NASL by 2018? As league works to save itself, there is optimism from the ranks

http://the11.ca/a-20-team-nasl-by-2018-as-league-works-to-save-itself-there-is-optimism-from-the-ranks/comment-page-1/#comment-3244

“Within the league, people are optimistic. People are working towards the same end, they want to go forward for 2017.”

That optimism is best reflected in FC Edmonton’s Tom Fath, who co-owns the team with his brother, Dave.  In December, Fath repeatedly said that he expected that his team would play in NASL in 2017. The club is hiring new staff, selling season tickets at a better pace than any previous season and has given coach Colin Miller a three-year extension.

Wilt said Fath’s public confidence mirrors what he has seen amongst the current group of NASL owners.

“Tom, as an original NASL owner, he is a major proponent for the league,” said WIlt. “His temperament has been even-keeled. His common sense, his stick-to-it-ness, these are all the qualities we are seeing and, to be honest, what we are seeing from most of the people involved.”

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎19 at 9:16 PM, Gopherbashi said:

As much as I'm happy for FCE getting a league for next year, I was looking forward to a soccer pyramid that wasn't constantly at war with itself...

Really? I for one think North American sports need more of this instead of the monopolistic beast we're all generally use to. Sports in the traditional big four are probably a lost cause with those respective leagues solidifying themselves as the best in the world and dealing in huge amounts of money, but soccer is still up for grabs and can be contested.

USSF Division 2/3 sanctioning decision could come by “end of the week

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/ussf-division-23-sanctioning-decision-could-come-by-end-of-the-week-56762/

"The NASL, which seemed destined for collapse in the waning months of November, has found new life in recent weeks thanks to renewed investor interest and a strong pool of owners continuing to back the project. Several sources tell EoS that NASL will indeed hold on to their division 2 status, leaving the U.S. Soccer pyramid at a status quo. "

20 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

USSF Division 2/3 sanctioning decision could come by “end of the week

LOL, how many weeks in a row can they use the same headline?!?

I think we are one four, or is it five weeks?

48 minutes ago, shermanator said:

To me, this is just another bullshit rumour until we hear an actual announcement by USSF/NASL/USL.

Possibly but the USSF might feel pressured to make a decision soon, so that players, staff and teams know where they stand in all of this mess. USSF appear to be waiting for NASL to solve an 8-team minimum requirement but they can't wait forever. I wonder if there is a set deadline soon (if not tomorrow), since NASL appear to be really pressing to get 8 teams going quickly.

Columbia alumnus, cable company magnate Commisso negotiates to buy Cosmos to save NASL

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=46774

Rocco B. Commisso, the CEO of Mediacom Communications Corp. who has strong ties to the Columbia University soccer program, has been negotiating to purchase the Cosmos.

NASL owners flew into New York to meet with U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati to make their point for Division 2 status, according to a source. The league is asking for a year waiver to play at eight teams, the source said. Twelve teams are needed to Division 2 sanction.

The league has plans to expand to as many as 18-20 teams in 2018, with franchises in Detroit, Orange County, San Diego and perhaps Chattanooga, Tenn.

If the board approves the waiver, the eight-team NASL would consist of North Carolina FC, Indy Eleven, Miami FC, Puerto Rico Islanders, FC Edmonton, Jacksonville Armada, Cosmos and the expansion San Francisco Deltas, a source said.

In December, Major League Soccer put a wrench into the plans when it said that its affiliated reserve teams that perform in the league would not be Division II teams.

U.S. Soccer Grants NASL Provisional Division II Status For 2017

http://www.nasl.com/news/2017/01/06/nasl-releases-statement-on-provisional-division-ii-status

Which will trigger the New York Cosmos sale to media tycoon Commisso and Strikers sale to PSG. Jacksonville is in negotiations for sale as well with expansion clubs on the way and to be finalized soon.

New Owner Rocco Commisso To Bring 'Love' And 'Passion' For Game To Cosmos

http://www.nasl.com/news/2017/01/10/new-owner-rocco-commisso-to-bring-love-and-passion-for-game-to-cosmos

The club announced today that Commisso, Mediacom Communications Corporation Chairman and CEO, has acquired the majority stake in the defending league champions.

“I want to bring my love and passion for the game to the New York Cosmos,” Commisso said on a conference call this afternoon.

For all of his time involved in the game, Commisso will leave all player decisions to the club’s sporting director and coach, Giovanni Savarese, who has guided the Cosmos to the NASL title in three of the last four years. Most recently the club defeated Indy Eleven in a penalty shootout in November to lift the Soccer Bowl Trophy.

“All the things with playing the game are going to be in the hands of Giovanni,” Commisso said. “I have total confidence in Gio.”

With his passion for the game and his dedication of the sport, the Cosmos have just the right leader heading into the 2017 season. 

"This is a very exciting day not only for the New York Cosmos but for the NASL as well," NASL Interim Commissioner Rishi Sehgal said. "Rocco Commisso is an incredibly successful businessman, a dedicated philanthropist, and a New York soccer icon. When you put all of that together, you have the ideal person to take the Cosmos forward and write the next chapter in their storied history."”

Demba Ba throws hat in San Diego soccer ring with NASL announcement

Former Chelsea striker Demba Ba now plys his trade in China for Shanghai Shenhua, but if he has his way, he may have a new role quite soon: NASL club owner.

The Senegalese forward appeared on Eric Wynalda’s Sirius XM show “WTF” Thursday night from the NSCAA Coaches Convention and was asked about his interest in the American soccer market, which admitted is getting “bigger and bigger day after day.” He followed up with quite an announcement.

“Me and a group of investors (couple of players in the project) are doing something in San Diego.”

Demba Ba continued, “We are close to finalizing the license. We are working with Club Nine sports and have an LOE from the NASL. We are very close to finalizing the team in San Diego, which will be something big.”

http://www.thisiscosmoscountry.com/nasl-news/demba-ba-throws-hat-in-san-diego-soccer-ring-with-nasl-announcement/#comment-6974

2 hours ago, jedinathan said:

If they're working with Club Nine, then I'm view things as decently plausible. Anything that has Peter Wilt as a part of it has a decent chance in my opinion.

Not sure if Peter is working with LA-OC as well but that groups NASL expansion effort is apparently set to go now an has Eric Wynalda involved from what I've heard. These 2 additions would make for a good start to the West Coast with SF Deltas.

Peter is working with a Cleveland group as well so we may see an NASL club there as well in the next 2 years.

NASL announces kick off of 2017 Spring Season, Equal Split Season format, & Championship Format :

http://www.nasl.com/news/2017/01/20/2017-nasl-season-set-to-kick-off-on-march-25

"The NASL announced today the format for the 2017 season, which will kick off on Saturday, March 25.

Each NASL club will compete in a 16-game Spring Season, followed by a 16-game Fall Season, hosting eight home games in each.

The champions from each season will earn the right to host a semifinal game in The Championship, the league’s four-club postseason tournament, on the weekend of November 4. The Championship Final will be played on the weekend of November 11. "

Archived