NASL Retools for 2017

CDNFootballer

NASL Board of Governors meetings are being held today till Wednesday in Atlanta. Some Issues being discussed :

Strikers financing in the form of a repayable loan has been apparently approved.

New less confrontational and collaborative attitude towards MLS while keeping the leagues vision of future co D1 sanctioning.

Apparently a Los Angelas expansion group is presenting a bid for a NASL franchise for 2017 and may or may not be approved.

Further details on strengthening the NASL with regards to new high moneyed investors are discussed in this article :

Exclusive: California NASL Expansion Bids Take Form

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/09/26/exclusive-california-nasl-expansion-bids-take-form/

A source close to the league told the Telegraph that, “Talks are taking place with three to four very significant investors, who want to make a statement about the strength of the NASL flexible model. These are high net-worth individuals who have interests in the US and the Middle East and want to invest in order to build a genuine, global, authentic soccer league in the US. The league is only as strong as its weakest links and as yet it has not been using its collective strength to punch above its weight. The butterfly will emerge from the messy caterpillar.”  

Other good NASL news is Rayo OKC has also posted its club bond of $750K for the 2017 seasons and will be back.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/09/2016 at 10:04 AM, yothat said:

I think the USSF needs to put pressure on clubs like Sacremento Republic, Cininct FC, or some of the independent clubs in the USL to be NASL. USL is a minor league for the MLS. 

Part of the reason they do so well is because tickets are dirt cheap. You can get general admission season tickets for $75 with Cincinnati, and day-of tickets for ten bucks. Can't support NASL salaries on that

I'm just hoping that the league can limp on until we get an annoucement of the Canadian Premier League so that the Fury and Edmonton suddenly have options. I still have concerns that the league is going to still be able to make a solid go at it with travel costs going to substantially rise with San Francisco entering the league.

On September 29, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Complete Homer said:

Part of the reason they do so well is because tickets are dirt cheap. You can get general admission season tickets for $75 with Cincinnati, and day-of tickets for ten bucks. Can't support NASL salaries on that

Those are akin to your average Bundesliga/La Liga ticket prices. If you average 20000 plus, a club should be able to support NASL level salaries with those prices, which is what I think all CPL prices should be. You also have to take into consideration that in-stadium sponsorship, concessions and merchandising would also be higher with a better stadium average. You do that and also give supporters the opportunity to become members for a 50 dollar annual fee so they can make decisions on the team's overall operations, you'll have a great club on hand. This is apparently Chicago NASL's ultimate vision.

15 hours ago, Macksam said:

Those are akin to your average Bundesliga/La Liga ticket prices. If you average 20000 plus, a club should be able to support NASL level salaries with those prices, which is what I think all CPL prices should be.

Sorry, are you suggesting that CanPL should be aiming for average attendances of 20,000 per game?1?

34 minutes ago, ted said:

Sorry, are you suggesting that CanPL should be aiming for average attendances of 20,000 per game?1?

Aim vs expect? 

If they go the Cincinnati route and sell $75 season tickets, who knows, maybe one market catches lightning in a bottle (though they'd still lose money at that price point if the salary cap ends up being what was suggested) 

20 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Aim vs expect? 

I want to know if I am reading what he wrote wrong or if Macksam has some really amazing drugs because aiming for 20,000 is an over-optimistic goal for year 10+ of the new league. Anyone expecting 20,000 attendances (ie budgeting for them) to start the league needs anti-psychotic medications. It simply will not happen.

But I am 70% sure I read that wrong. :)

6 hours ago, ted said:

No, I just think ticket prices shouldn't cost any more than to see a movie at Cineplex.

When it comes to my forecast of CPL attendances, I don't think any team except maybe Hamilton will draw 20000 right out of the gate. 

19 hours ago, Macksam said:

No, I just think ticket prices shouldn't cost any more than to see a movie at Cineplex.

When it comes to my forecast of CPL attendances, I don't think any team except maybe Hamilton will draw 20000 right out of the gate. 

Totally agree with the ticket prices.

No way in hell Hamilton draws an average of 20,000 in year one.

On 04/10/2016 at 6:01 PM, Macksam said:

While I doubt we'll see 20K at Tim Hortons field, I do think we'll see an average attendance in excess of 10K. I bet cheaper tickets could boost that to over 15k

Perhaps worth noting that an average of 5000 was about as good as it got for the Hamilton Bulldogs in the AHL:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=5998

If second tier hockey is a difficult sell for a second pro level Golden Horseshoe franchise, I think it is far fetched to expect it to work better in soccer, when the level of Canadian soccer is far from being the world's best unlike in hockey. My guess would be that a Hamilton team in the NASL, USL or CPL would be doing well to match FC Edmonton's 2000 or so genuine paid attendance average, especially if the roster as the rhetoric from Totera and co suggests is mainly Canadian, and would only be able to boost it up to 5000 or so through Ottawa Fury style youth soccer giveaways and other freebies, which would put them into $1,000,000 plus losses annually on an NASL scale budget.

A goal of between 5,000 - 8,000 average gate across the league in years one and two is far more realistic.

Could a miracle happen and somehow the league catches the imagination of the Canadian public and we get 10,000+ on average the first year? Sure, but we cannot plan that way.

On October 7, 2016 at 2:39 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Perhaps worth noting that an average of 5000 was about as good as it got for the Hamilton Bulldogs in the AHL:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=5998

If second tier hockey is a difficult sell for a second pro level Golden Horseshoe franchise, I think it is far fetched to expect it to work better in soccer, when the level of Canadian soccer is far from being the world's best unlike in hockey. My guess would be that a Hamilton team in the NASL, USL or CPL would be doing well to match FC Edmonton's 2000 or so genuine paid attendance average, especially if the roster as the rhetoric from Totera and co suggests is mainly Canadian, and would only be able to boost it up to 5000 or so through Ottawa Fury style youth soccer giveaways and other freebies, which would put them into $1,000,000 plus losses annually on an NASL scale budget.

The hockey analogy doesn't fit considering the CPL isn't going to act as MLS' farm league. It also doesn't hold weight considering the NHL is the best hockey league in the world whereas MLS doesn't even come close to being the best soccer league. All signs are pointing towards sanctioning and league promotion where the league won't be views as a step down from American, suburban college boy soccer. 

You mentioning roster compositions also doesn't really mean anything. Having a professional looking product matters a lot more. If a team's roster composition was absolutely paramount, a team like TFC would have drawed only 2000 people when it first started based on your logic.

On 2016/10/08 at 0:04 AM, mianjo said:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/10/07/nasl-bill-peterson-commissioner-expansion-future?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

At the moment, it still looks like the NASL’s Ottawa Fury and Tampa Bay Rowdies will leave for the USL after the season, although the latter’s departure isn’t finalized

USSF will be well within their rights to drop the NASL to D3 sanctioning due to lack of numbers if they fall to 8 or 9 members, and the CSA can say no way Jose to Ottawa where moving to the USL is concerned even though I suspect they would probably blink first on a sanction us or we fold the team ultimatum, so still lots of politics ahead on this.

Soccer season generates $1M in revenue for P.R.

http://newsismybusiness.com/season-generates-revenue/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=email_this&utm_source=email

"With just three home games to play before this year’s soccer season is over, Puerto Rico Football Club officials are celebrating a successful run that has drawn not only scores of local fans, but also diehard supporters who have traveled to the island to cheer on visiting teams. "

NASL, USL, MLS & CanPL Expansion News & Rumors Tracker – October 2016 Edition

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/10/10/nasl-usl-mls-canpl-expansion-news-rumors-tracker-october-2016-edition/

NASL continues to move forward with expansion prospects while it faces the exit of up to three teams (Minnesota, Ottawa and Tampa Bay) before the 2017 season.  Rumors out of the league summit suggested as many as 3-6 groups are looking to join the league. Chicago (2018) would be one of those, and Midfield Press has been in touch with NASL expansion groups in Los Angeles (2017) and San Diego (2018).

“We’ve never had more serious conversations happening than we do right now, in more cities than we do right now,” Peterson told Sports Illustrated. “We’ve probably been in a process with maybe 40 groups. These are all people that have the wherewithal to do it. You start down through the process, depending on the group, depending on the city, can take as little as three to four months or as long as 18 months to complete.”

. “I think our league, I hope it’s beyond the point of anybody doubting if it’s going to be in existence. I think the model’s demonstrated that it can be successful if you work hard at it, passionate and in the right cities.”

• 3 weeks later...

NASL statement on today's self relegating of Tampa Bay and Ottawa down to third div Usl :

http://www.nasl.com/news/2016/10/25/nasl-releases-statement-on-tampa-bay-and-ottawa-announcements

"As a league in North America, the NASL operates in an environment where owners are free to take their clubs wherever they choose. All we can do is acknowledge that reality and move forward with our business, which is exactly what we’re doing right now. We have never had a stronger and more unified group of owners who are committed to the league’s model, its structure, and its long-term vision. With a half-dozen serious expansion discussions in progress, the league looks forward to adding new owners who share in the Board’s vision.

We have ambitious plans for growth, and we’re proud that the flexibility of the NASL model remains an extremely attractive proposition for investors seeking to become part of an authentic, competitive soccer league. While we don’t want to take anything away from what is sure to be another exciting postseason, we’re focused on ensuring that, in 2017, the NASL is one of the most competitive soccer leagues around."

Update :

Latest rumors are that the NASL 2017 season may have at least one club added for the fall season and Chicago and a San Diego area club added for 2018. If there are any clubs added for next year they would likely be announced around the championship final or shortly thereafter. Las Vegas remains in the mix, Rayo OKC possibly moving to another market. Cleveland is also being mentioned as a possible expansion market for the NASL.

On 10/3/2016 at 6:11 PM, Macksam said:

Those are akin to your average Bundesliga/La Liga ticket prices.

No, those are not your average Bundesliga ticket prices. When i went to Germany in 2007 we paid 30 Euros to see Bochum-Stuttgart and 45 Euros to see B2 Moenchengladbach - St. Pauli.

56 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

No, those are not your average Bundesliga ticket prices. When i went to Germany in 2007 we paid 30 Euros to see Bochum-Stuttgart and 45 Euros to see B2 Moenchengladbach - St. Pauli.

https://ticketing21.cld.ondemand.com/online/index.php3?wes=empty_session_103&language=1&query_pos=0&query_rows=100&set_query_pos=0&houseid=444&performanceid=2045&state=3&nextstate=4

this is current as of October 31 to 2016 prices for Bundesliga club....looks like kids get in half price in any section, and it appears as if tickets in a corner can be had...for one euro ( no not a great location but still means anyone can get in stadium and watch ) Yes there are other tickets at 30 to 45 Euros, which is pretty good.

Fury tickets in NASL ran $34.00 for adults in central part of stadium down to$25.00 and  $17.00 with youth tickets under sixteen $27.00, $19.00 and $17.00. So not a big discount for a 14 or 15 year old to come to a game.....and surely a Bundesliga ticket has more value then a NASL ticket ?

There appear to be lots of inexpensive youth or family tickets at the Bundesliga club linked.

The 1 Euro tickets are for children 6 years old or less. Bundesliga tickets tend to be pretty reasonable but small clubs like Ingolstadt are usually cheaper than the large clubs especially those that know they won't be staying in the 1st Bundesliga very long. Ingolstadt is really a 2nd/3rd Bundesliga club that happens to be in the 1st but probably not for long. It is not very indicative of average Bundesliga ticket prices. Even here the cheapest season ticket for an adult without a price reduction for disability or retirement is 188 Euro or $275 CDN which is a lot more than the $75 that Macksam is claiming to be typical Bundesliga prices. The prices for a team with more typical Bundesliga prices can be seen here for Hamburg where the cheapest adult ticket without reduction is 17 Euro for a standing place while the top tickets start at 85 Euro and up: https://hsvcmsfileadmin-v.azureedge.net/user_upload/Bilder_HSV.de/Tickets/Ticketinfos/Preislisten/Preisliste_BVB_online.pdf  

Archived