Whitecaps II

tmcmurph

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the Canadian USL academy teams lack creativity and skill in possession. They mostly just whack it. No smart combinations around the opposition box. I realize they're pretty young, but I've been lrt down by the level so far.

Yes, it's been disappointing. Hamilton and Kaye looked so good last year played on an established team and they've been pretty anonymous this year (Kaye especially) as the team struggles to establish itself. I think Toronto will actually end up mid-table and look better as they get more home games. I think all three teams will need to establish some continuity with USL-only players and the same coaching staffs going into next year.

One thing we forget is that a lot of these guys are still growing. All three teams have been outmatched physically for the most part when facing regular USL teams. I think Toronto and Vancouver will adapt as the season wears on, but Montreal has a real issue, they have looked really lackluster.

• 2 weeks later...

So WFC2 only started 4 Canadians in today's game vs. Arizona United. (Clarke, Froese, McKendry, Rosenlund). The other 7 starting are Tornaghi, Sampson, Parker, Rodriguez, Dean, Blasco and Mezquida. A condition of the CSA sanctioning USL clubs in Canada was that 6 of the 11 starters must be Canadian.

So, what's the punishment here for violating the quota? Or more accurately, will there be any punishment? 

Yup, apparently they asked for, and received, an exemption to the sanctions for this game. Because, apparently playing the required number of Canadians with their schedule is too hard.

Spoke with Alan Koch after the game. Caps did get special exemption from CSA to start less than six Canadians. Just due to games coming up.

"Fielding seven Canadians and nine players on loan from the MLS team,"

70.Paolo Tornaghi; 27.Ethen Sampson, 26.Tim Parker (41.Jackson Farmer 46’), 18.Diego Rodriguez (54.Craig Nitti 46’), 22.Christian Dean; 45.Tyler Rosenlund, 30.Ben McKendry; 48.Victor Blasco (50.Sahil Sandhu 74’), 9.Nicolas Mezquida (46.Brett Levis 63’), 38.Kianz Froese (51.Billy Schuler 86’); 34.Caleb Clarke

6 x 90 = 540 minutes

Caleb Clarke 90, Ben McKendry 90, Tyler Rosenlund 90, Kianz Froese 86, Jackson Farmer 45, Brett Levis 27, Sahil Sandhu 16 = 444

So not too bad. About 5 players for the full 90. That is about the same as starting 6 and subbing 3 out. Not ideal or what I want to see but understandable given their upcoming 3 road games in 7 days.

I didn't know there were exemptions to this setup. Hopefully not too many and each requiring justification with no blanket "ask and ye shall receive" type treatment.

I didn't know there were exemptions either. IMO 3 games in 7 days should not warrant an exemption.

Not the end of the world, it's just a little frustrating that the CSA sanctions specifically aimed at giving Canadian players a decent chunk of minutes are already being skirted around. I guess we will just have to see how many exemptions are asked for this year.

I can't say I've visited even most countries in the world, but I've lived abroad and traveled a lot. like most, and I find it hard to believe that there is a country in the world other than Canada where people would watch a third division domestic side start only 5 domestic players and then have even the most serious, diehard of supporters mostly shrug their shoulders and make excuses for the club, implying that, "Oh well, maybe we're just not good enough."

So there were 7 Canadians that saw the field anyway? What the hell did they need an exemption for, start 6 of them and sub one out for another Canadian and you have 6 on the field the whole time. CSA have no spine. I thought the Whitecaps had turned the corner...

The point is that Canadian players are getting as much time as they would if 6 started and 3 got subbed out at the hour mark. I support playing time quotas at this level because it makes sense. I don't see the problem with this particular exemption given the number of games in the amount of time. 

But hey nothing is ever good enough for some people. Off they go at the slightest perceived failure of the team that fits their preconceived notions. So I did a little bit of checking on the USL web site and added up some numbers.

Player (GP-GS / Minutes)

Levis, Brett (10-6 / 502)  
McKendry, Ben (10-10 / 813)
Clarke, Caleb     (10-7 / 606)
Pridham, Mackenzie  (9-2 / 251)
Sandhu, Sahil   (10-6 /  585)
Froese, Kianz   (3-3 /  252)
Farmer, Jackson   (9-8 / 721)
Haynes, Jordan   (7-7 / 630)
Rosenlund, Tyler   (10-8 /  724)
Serban, Chris   (8-5 / 510) 
Blagojevic, Jovan  (5-1 / 119)
Piraux, Mitch   (7-5 / 455)

Richey, Spencer   (5-4 / 360)

10 games times 11 players times 90 minutes = 9900 minutes * 6/11 = 5400 minutes mandatory for Canadian players by the CSA. 

6172 minutes for CMNT eligible players (not counting Richey who could be but is listed as USA, 6532 if you do count him ). So seeing as the Caps2 were 14% over the expected amount it is perfectly reasonable of the CSA to grant an exemption in this case. 

So how are the numbers for TFC2 & Montreal FC? 

Yes with Bustos healthy be ahead because he'd be one of the regulars in midfield. We'd easily have another 600 minutes.

But hey nothing is ever good enough for JPG. Wah wah wah all the way home.

So what are Montreal's numbers? 

So what are Montreal's numbers? 

They've had 1189 foreign minutes out of 7890 minutes That's 84,93%. The fact that pretty much every one is Canadian on that team except one (Morelli) helps.

I was sure that there would be one day where TRM would be trying to defend the Whitecaps II of not playing enough Canadians.

Archived