Whitecaps II

tmcmurph

I don't think the sanctioning rules are too strict. This level is exactly where you should have a serious Canadian content. I'm glad clubs have to ask and justify each time to get permission. I don't want the rules moved down to 80% of current. A more flexible approach yes but not a reduction. Something like Canadians getting an average of over 540 minutes playing time per game (equivalent to 6 starters playing the full 90) would be more flexible for the coaches and easier to increase because you could do it in 20-30 minute increments every few years.

What I would like is for the CSA to explain each instance that they grant. I've emailed them when this happened previously politely asking for an explanation but got no reply. I shall ask again. I think at this level the request, justification and response should all be public.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, the sanctioning rules are too strict. The Vancouver players like Marco Bustos are getting a much better development experience playing on actual competitive teams in defined roles where they can actually display their offensive skills rather than having to play on disasters like TFC2 or FC Montreal where the teams can barely get out of their own end (like TFC2 against Rochester which I'm watching currently). Look how much someone like Mark-Anthony Kaye has regressed this year due to playing on a poor team filled with too-young players not good enough for the level.

The CSA needs to move down the CanCon rules next year to maybe about 80% of where they are right now, especially if other teams are going to come into USL if the Candian league doesn't happen.

Montreal and Toronto could have signed some older Canadian players to improve their USL squads (like a Tyler Rosenlund). They could also send down a few fringe players not getting much first team action for each game. They would still be above the Canadian quota. I don't think a quota reduction is necessary. Montreal and Toronto just need to be smarter.

Montreal and Toronto could have signed some older Canadian players to improve their USL squads (like a Tyler Rosenlund). They could also send down a few fringe players not getting much first team action for each game. They would still be above the Canadian quota. I don't think a quota reduction is necessary. Montreal and Toronto just need to be smarter.

Either is fine. I don't know anybody could watch today's TFC2 and think it was a useful experience for anyone except for Alex Bono. At least TFC is occasionally competitive, FC Montreal has thrown away a whole year of player development.

Mitch Piraux/Jordan Haynes. Neither of these guys have been up to the USL level and the team's improvement as the season has gone on is partly due to both of them losing their playing time. Both will probably be back next year due to their youth, but they are the same age as Manneh, Froese, Bustos and Lewis, guys who all look like they belong as pros.

Marco Carducci. I've never seen the point of giving him a contract, he should have gone to school. He hasn't looked out-of-place while playing but he's the fourth best keeper in the organization right now (maybe fifth, depending on what you think of Nolan Wirth) and he's years away from the first team. ) He would have his pick of CIS schools right now and they can take another look at him in a few years when he's physically and mentally mature and Ousted is on the downside of his career.

I have watched most of the games.  Piraux wasn't getting much playing time due to the mid field having a lot of players.  However, he hasn't played for I don't know two? months because of an injury.  The first team is also mid field heavy.  No room for Piraux. Haynes was injured at the USSDA playoffs last month, so hasn't been able to play either.  I noticed that before the injury, he played and started a lot of games, Dean being the player he sat for.  Looks to me like Robinson called the shots to give Dean playing time.  Haynes had some very good games, just needs consistency.  As far as making the first team, there is no room for Haynes either.  Harvey and Adekugbe have that spot locked down.  Carducci has time to grow.  That is the good thing about keepers.  He is no longer eligible for the USSDA so I can see him getting more playing time with USL.  This will be good for his development.

Manneh and Lewis are 94's. Two years older than the others.  

Piraux is actally a 95'. Either he or Haynes got subbed off in the middle of game a few weeks ago after getting totally obliterated defensively but like you say they are both fairly young and Haynes in particular may have a chance at the first team in a couple of years as Harvey declines. Carducci is not as good as Richey, but the organization should pick one and give him the minutes at USL that Tornaghi doesn't get, they certainly don't need so many keepers in the organization.

Either is fine. I don't know anybody could watch today's TFC2 and think it was a useful experience for anyone except for Alex Bono. At least TFC is occasionally competitive, FC Montreal has thrown away a whole year of player development.

It's the first year in the league for all 3 teams. I'm hoping for some adjustments next year. All 3 have made mistakes. TFC & Impact either over estimated the level of their players or underestimated the level of competition or both. The Caps have underestimated the number of Canadian players needed at each position to get through injury and schedule congestion.

I really like the idea of some older (28-32) Canadian players being a mentor to the younger. If a NASL team can afford JDG some playing coach types for USL-Pro would be a great idea.

Only 5 tonight vs the Switchbacks. I thought 10 WC2 plus the 7 MLS squad would be enough Canadians. 3 are away on Gold Cup/Pan Am and Sam is injured. No Kianz for WC2 so maybe he is with the first team for their game in Portland in place of Teibert. 

Last time we were having this issue the Caps were 14% over the minimum requirement (going by 6 players starting and playing 90). Now they are over by 17%. I've noticed that we tend to start more Canadians on the road games (sometimes 8 or 9). Never seen that for a home game.

It will be interesting to see at the end of the season. 18 games played so far and 12,020/17,820 minutes (Can/Total).

Attendance 2,500. 

PS. Yea 5 keepers is too many. Especially when your first choice will play every MLS minute barring injury or suspension.

Blasco seems pretty much MLS ready. I think Bustos will stick with the first team next year. Those two are dynamite together.

Agreed. Blasco makes a lot happen and back tracks extremely well. Bustos is very close in skill level and seems to get rid of the ball quicker instead of losing it trying to beat one more player like he used to. Together they are in sync and created most of the chances tonight. 

Only 5 tonight vs the Switchbacks. I thought 10 WC2 plus the 7 MLS squad would be enough Canadians. 3 are away on Gold Cup/Pan Am and Sam is injured. No Kianz for WC2 so maybe he is with the first team for their game in Portland in place of Teibert. 

Last time we were having this issue the Caps were 14% over the minimum requirement (going by 6 players starting and playing 90). Now they are over by 17%. I've noticed that we tend to start more Canadians on the road games (sometimes 8 or 9). Never seen that for a home game.

It will be interesting to see at the end of the season. 18 games played so far and 12,020/17,820 minutes (Can/Total).

Attendance 2,500. 

PS. Yea 5 keepers is too many. Especially when your first choice will play every MLS minute barring injury or suspension.

Haynes and Piraux are injured. Poor timing for them as they might have been getting some minutes.

Bustos has been great.

Haynes and Piraux are injured. Poor timing for them as they might have been getting some minutes.

Bustos has been great.

Yea their injury timing sucks. The Caps2 need more Canadians so they have coverage at more positions. This getting exemption from the CSA when injuries and scheduling difficulties arise sucks. I still think it is great to have Blasco types sprinkled here and there to provide a valid reason for all the Canadian players to work harder.

Schuler has been a pleasant surprise. The biggest surprise of the year of course has been Tim Parker. We'll see more of Rodriguez than Parker on WC2 this year.

Serban subbed out in the first half with an injury. That sucks. What is with the injury bug going through our Canadian players?

Didn't play very good defensively and turned the ball over in midfield a lot. T2 was intercepting a lot of our passes because the receiver was waiting for the ball rather than going back to it. Didn't look very good and T2 deserve the 4-2 victory.

It's getting pathetic: only 5 Canadian players on the pitch yesterday. That is including all of the subs. 

Why install that rule if you don't enforce it? Although I have more respect for TFC2 and Fc Montreal cause it looks like they would have been playing Canadians even without the rule. 

Lost 4-0 to Tulsa. Yet another Canadian injury as Ben McKendry was taken out of the game at the 33' point. Fortunately Clarke has returned and played the rest of the game. Fell apart in the second half. Was 0-0 at the half. Attendance 1100.

We were at 4 so still below the quota. Jackson Farmer, Tyler Rosenlund , Ben McKendry (subbed by Caleb Clarke @33'), Marco Bustos. Canadian subs were Sahil Sandhu @69', Jovan Blagojevic @69', Mackenzie Pridham @69'.

Next 4 games are on the road and will be back at home Sept 6.

3-1 over Tulsa in Tulsa. 5 Canadian starters as Farmer & Clarke return from the PanAm games. Bustos with 2 (1 PK) , Blasco with 1 and Lewis being the playmaker for most of the Caps2 chances. Terran Campbell was called up from the academy and made the field as a sub for the last few minutes.

3-1 over Tulsa in Tulsa. 5 Canadian starters as Farmer & Clarke return from the PanAm games. Bustos with 2 (1 PK) , Blasco with 1 and Lewis being the playmaker for most of the Caps2 chances. Terran Campbell was called up from the academy and made the field as a sub for the last few minutes.

It was actually 6 Canadian starters: Carducci, Sandhu, Farmer, Haynes, Bustos, Clarke.

The 3 subs they used were Canadian as well: Campbell, Balgojevic and Pridham

Adekugbe was supposed to start and get 45 minutes working his way back from injury, but there was a 'paperwork' error:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/08/03/adekugbe-unlikely-to-start-ccl-opener-after-paperwork-error/

Archived