Whitecaps II

tmcmurph

It was actually 6 Canadian starters: Carducci, Sandhu, Farmer, Haynes, Bustos, Clarke.

The 3 subs they used were Canadian as well: Campbell, Balgojevic and Pridham

Adekugbe was supposed to start and get 45 minutes working his way back from injury, but there was a 'paperwork' error:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/08/03/adekugbe-unlikely-to-start-ccl-opener-after-paperwork-error/

6? Okay I thought Sandhu subbed in. Too bad about Sam. It would have been good to get the rust off ahead of the Wednesday game.

Good to see we are back to quotaville. Now if some more injured Canadians can get back to full health we'll be loving it.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vancouver was offensively quite dynamic with a shot of the crossbar but defensively, what a mess

Yea it was a mess at the back. First goal was an unchallenged cross that 2 defenders misjudged in the air leaving the shot wide open and both the 2cd & 3rd goals were just such bad marking it is unbelievable. Oh well that is what USL Pro is for. Learning from mistakes so here is hoping they do just that.

2 off the crossbar actually. Bustos and then Farmer with the deflection going to Clarke for the lone goal.

0-2 Loss in Arizona tonight. 6 Canadian starters. Sam played again so he is closer to first team. Harvey was injured at the end of the Dallas game so maybe we'll see Sam on Wednesday.

The problem for Sam is that Christian Dean turned into a really good player at LB and CB.

0-2 Loss in Arizona tonight. 6 Canadian starters. Sam played again so he is closer to first team. Harvey was injured at the end of the Dallas game so maybe we'll see Sam on Wednesday.

They actually started 5 Canadians, ignoring the quota again. Here was their announced starting lineup:

Here's the #WFC2 starting XI 39.Richey (USA) 50 Sandhu (CAN) 41 Farmer (CAN) 58 Seymore (USA) 3 Adekugbe (CAN) 20 Flores (HON) 38 Froese (CAN) 32 Bustos (CAN) 25 Lewis (JAM) 48 Blasco (ESP) 51 Schuler (USA)

They actually started 5 Canadians, ignoring the quota again. Here was their announced starting lineup:

Here's the #WFC2 starting XI 39.Richey (USA) 50 Sandhu (CAN) 41 Farmer (CAN) 58 Seymore (USA) 3 Adekugbe (CAN) 20 Flores (HON) 38 Froese (CAN) 32 Bustos (CAN) 25 Lewis (JAM) 48 Blasco (ESP) 51 Schuler (USA)

The CSA counts Richey as he is dual and could play for Canada if he chooses. The CMNT eligible standard does count him in it. Surprised me too when I found that out as he is listed as USA on the team's site.

As to Dean he is okay at LB but has really come a long way further at CB which is his natural position. I had my doubts about him early in the season with WC2 but he has really worked at it. Parker is still ahead of him in the depth and I don't think Kah will be back next year so he and Farmer will contest the 3rd CB role.

The CSA counts Richey as he is dual and could play for Canada if he chooses. The CMNT eligible standard does count him in it. Surprised me too when I found that out as he is listed as USA on the team's site.

Born in the US, played for the US youth national teams, against Canada. That's American in my books until he suits up for the U-23 or senior team. WFC 2 may have met the CSA domestic starting requirements, but it was on a technicality only, and that's disappointing.

Born in the US, played for the US youth national teams, against Canada. That's American in my books until he suits up for the U-23 or senior team. WFC 2 may have met the CSA domestic starting requirements, but it was on a technicality only, and that's disappointing.

LOL, good save.

Yea it is but if he plays for us then it isn't. Who knows which way our own "Canadian" players will go. I'd bet half of TFC2 could play for Jamaica if they wanted to (and were good enough). I don't know how you can tighten the criteria up without eliminating players left, right and centre. At least having the CMNT eligible criteria is a step in the right direction even if it has its own set of issues.

I'd bet half of TFC2 could play for Jamaica if they wanted to (and were good enough). 

Uh, what? There's like 3 or 4 black Canadians on TFC II and i'm not even sure if they're of Jamaican, Trinidadian or some other background. Roberts, Thomas, Edwards, Kaye...pretty much all of them are capped at the youth levels.

Uh, what? There's like 3 or 4 black Canadians on TFC II and i'm not even sure if they're of Jamaican, Trinidadian or some other background. Roberts, Thomas, Edwards, Kaye...pretty much all of them are capped at the youth levels.

I was guessing given the huge Jamaican community in Toronto. Substitute "multi-country eligible" and you get my point. It probably applies to Impact2 and Caps2 as well. Sort of a weird problem. You have players who could, if good enough, play for Italy, Jamaica etc. Do you hope that they aren't quite that good or hope that they are great but choose Canada? It's a weird situation we're in to be sure.

Unless FIFA changes the criteria again youth levels mean nothing. I hope they bring in a right of first refusal for the country you've lived the longest in type rule. That would stop a lot of nonsense.

Canada is for the foreseeable future going to be a country that always has this problem. I'm eligilbe for 2 other countries and I'd guess most posters on this board are eligilbe for at least one other. I could see revoking the status as a domestic for those who have played for the youth program of another country although that seems somewhat of a harsh decision to make on a kid, especially if he plays for a worse nation.

I'm fine with the current status of things. I do believe that the CSA has to be a little harder on the VWFC2 organization for their failures when they do have options avialable.

Really? The counter argument to WFC 2 only meeting the domestic quota by technicality is that "TFC II probably has a bunch of players that are eligible for Jamaica the same way Richey is eligible for Canada?"

How many of TFC II's players have played for another country's youth setup? Martin Davis (who has been given 68 total minutes this year) and....? Or do you not consider Roberts, Baboui, Uccello, Aparicio, Mannella, Mirabelli or Hamilton Canadian, because youth levels don't matter? I just don't get the logic.

The fact is that TFC II and FC Montreal have met the required sanctioning for their USL club; starting 6 or more players who were either born in Canada or have represented Canada at a youth or senior level EVERY game, and WFC 2 hasn't. Why they get defended for that here is beyond me.

I don't care about the technicality question, he's a Canadian citizen who can still play for Canada, that's all well and good. The issue is when they've started 4 guys and had Canadian options on the bench, yea the lineup may not be ideal but that shouldn't matter. Play a guy or two out of position and get it done, it's one thing if you have 6 or 7 Canadians down at once and there is nobody else but it's another thing entirely when the options are available

Canada is for the foreseeable future going to be a country that always has this problem. I'm eligilbe for 2 other countries and I'd guess most posters on this board are eligilbe for at least one other. I could see revoking the status as a domestic for those who have played for the youth program of another country although that seems somewhat of a harsh decision to make on a kid, especially if he plays for a worse nation.

I'm fine with the current status of things. I do believe that the CSA has to be a little harder on the VWFC2 organization for their failures when they do have options avialable.

Agreed on both points.

I like the idea of the CSA being hard on organizations that are hurting Canadian players getting minutes at USL level. They can start by firing any idiot in their organization who decided to not allow independent teams USL sanctioning in this country. How many player years have we lost now because of no team in London, no team in Victoria and no team in Calgary?

BTW, it's not a 'technicality' when there is one rule to meet and the player in question meets that one rule.

Archived