Whitecaps II

tmcmurph

I like the idea of the CSA being hard on organizations that are hurting Canadian players getting minutes at USL level. They can start by firing any idiot in their organization who decided to not allow independent teams USL sanctioning in this country. How many player years have we lost now because of no team in London, no team in Victoria and no team in Calgary?

So you are suggesting there's a link between those two? CSA is responsible somehow for there not being teams in those places? 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Signed  Kadin Chung, Thomas Gardner and Terran Campbell today. All of them are 1998's so 16 or 17. Wonder if this is a sign they are giving up on the playoffs and focusing on more Canadian Development or more just a move to fill the void for injuries. Should help them with their ratio performance. 

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/08/26/whitecaps-fc-sign-three-local-residency-players-pro-contracts-wfc2?hootPostID=16f0569cdff15a8fd841f34d39559c34

Signed  Kadin Chung, Thomas Gardner and Terran Campbell today. All of them are 1998's so 16 or 17. Wonder if this is a sign they are giving up on the playoffs and focusing on more Canadian Development or more just a move to fill the void for injuries. Should help them with their ratio performance. 

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/08/26/whitecaps-fc-sign-three-local-residency-players-pro-contracts-wfc2?hootPostID=16f0569cdff15a8fd841f34d39559c34

They were only close to the last playoff spot for about a 10 game stretch and never managed to climb over it or break out of the pack. As a goal for the team and a way to market the home games the playoffs would be nice but I doubt they had any serious consequences for anyone by missing it.

I'm hoping this is because they are 3 players who are way ahead of the curve but it could also be due to the injuries to their players being more severe than initially thought. Here's hoping it's the former.

Where are you getting that? Campbell has already played and they need some Canadian bodies. 

just the way it was worded, TFC2 has brought guys up on an as needed basis as well

Given their age I'd guess this is an introduction, maybe a few sub appearances at the very end of the year, get them familiar with what is expected and have them fully ready for next season

• 2 weeks later...

We drop a 2-1 decision to Sacramento. 6 Canadian starters. Blasco to Bustos for our loan goal. Very nice one. Perfectly weighted pass through the defence to Marco who rounded the keeper and scored.

Thomas Gardner got his first dozen minutes for WC2. Not bad for a 98.

Even though the results aren't great, mostly due to a horrible back four, this team looks like a real one when they play and not a reserve or academy U-23 team thrown together haphazardly. Sacramento is one of the best teams in USL but the 'caps held possession, created chances and were in the game throughout. Bustos is going to make Rosales expendable next year.

A decent outing against the second best team in the west. A 1-1 draw is pretty respectable. 6 Canadians start and 3 more sub in (Gardner, Chung, Levis). Chung with his first appearance almost setup the winner. Not bad for a 1998!

I was looking for it but they didn't stream it, did they? I thought they did every game but is it just selected?

And we wrap up our season in disappointing style. After taking a 2-0 lead on goals by Levis we allow 3 and lose 3-2. 7 Canadians start and a few more sub in.

30 points in 28 games with 39 goals for (tied 12th) and 53 against (tied for 2cd worst) it is obvious where our problem is.

340 shots by us (7th), 115 saves (4th), 3 clean sheets (dead last), 344 fouls (2cd), 98 corners (3rd worst), 76 offsides (5th), 48 yellow cards (tied 9th), 1682 ave home attendance,

It will be interesting seeing what changes they make for next year. Hopefully continue the mix of older and younger players but with more Canadians to cover call ups and injuries and still make the quota.

So lots of room for improvement. Better defending and more Canadians to get through the call ups and injuries without missing the quota of 6 starters (no I never did get a reply from my emails to the CSA). On the bright side we did provide playing time to a lot of young players with 14 signed to WC2 and 6 from the MLS team getting minutes. Not a great first year but a good start.

28 games * 90 minutes * 11 players = 27,720 playing minutes totally. Players eligible for the CMNT clocked in 17, 413 of those minutes (63%) and over the 15,120 minutes the quota requires (based on 6 players playing 90 minutes a game)

- Signed to WC2
    Jovan Blagojevic    241
    Jackson Farmer      2001
    Jordan Haynes       1198
    Brett Levis         1094
    Mitch Piraux        455
    Mackenzie Pridham   410
    Spencer Richey      1086
    Tyler Rosenlund     2014
    Sahil Sandhu        1461
    Chris Serban        1181
    Terran Campbell     1
    Kadin Chung         41
    Thomas Gardner      62
    Mark Village        0

- Signed to MLS squad
    Sam Adekugbe        180
    Marco Bustos        1360
    Marco Carducci      810
    Caleb Clarke        1653
    Kianz Froese        522
    Ben McKendry        1643

• 1 month later...

Chung, Haynes, Serban, Campbell and Gardner sign for another season with WFC2. They don't say anything about Farmer or Piraux. Not sure if is it safe to assume anything about their future based off of this news release.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/11/13/five-canadian-youth-national-team-players-return-wfc2-2016-usl-season?hootPostID=f5b350d1c0d7525630652e8af7b1bb78

WFC2 confirm that Spencer Richey, Jackson Farmer, Sahil Sandhu, Deklan Wynne, Victor Blasco, Brett Levis, Mitch Piraux and Will Seymore will all return. For me, I'm interested in seeing how Farmer and Levis do in 2016.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/11/16/eight-players-return-whitecaps-fc-2-roster-2016-usl-season?hootPostID=fffb9f9422c7a1b604b00bd579eb0726

Does this mean none of these guys are getting contracts with the big club this year? I thought someone like Blasco would especially to show that there is a platform for signing with the second team and moving up. 

I would expect that a few of the top prospects will get an invite to the full camp and be given the opportunity to earn an MLS contract.

Archived