Whitecaps II

tmcmurph

The player who has made the greatest leap since the beginning of the year is Ben McKendry. Plays holding mid but last few weeks has pushed further up the field as more of a centre mid. He's been the driving force behind the team's improvement in recent weeks. Very active, very good and fast distribution of the ball, not afraid to get in the box and put a shot on net. Think we will see him soon in the Whitecaps 18.

This sounds good. Is he looking like he's developing into the Will Johnson mold? Another all-action, box-to-box midfielder certainly wouldn't hurt.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The player who has made the greatest leap since the beginning of the year is Ben McKendry. Plays holding mid but last few weeks has pushed further up the field as more of a centre mid. He's been the driving force behind the team's improvement in recent weeks. Very active, very good and fast distribution of the ball, not afraid to get in the box and put a shot on net. Think we will see him soon in the Whitecaps 18.

That has definitely marked our turn around in generating chances. We were at 1/2 the shots that our opponents had before he moved up and now we are around 2/3rds. Having Bustos back in the midfield will also help a lot for a lone forward like Clarke. The WC2 team plays mostly with a lone forward like the MLS team. Tough role if you are the lone forward.

Lost 0-2 to LA2. Clarke missed a PK in the first half. The second LA2 goal on a PK for a handball in the box but it looked kind of lame for a PK call with his hands by his side. Oh well. On to next week. We looked a lot better in attack after the hour mark when we went to the 3-4-3 and some subs with fresh legs came on.

7 is the number this week.

Missing that PK was kid of pivotal in the game. Btw missing is one thing, but that was just painful to see. I don't think Clark had a good nigh of sleep afterwards, even though he almost redeemed himself with a nice shot on the post in the second half. 

And yes that PK call was plain ridiculous, but it's good preparation of what to expect in MLS and Concacaf...

Took in the match live today. Good action and lots of fun - but soooooooo far from east van that I can't imagine that many would endeavour to come from any further afield than me, not on a regular basis at least, and a quick glance at the crowd should mostly Vancouverites (dare I say westsiders) vs the suburbanites who I think should be making up more of the numbers. Still not that excited about the venue choice but they are pulling in pretty good crowds, it's comfortable enough and hey, what do I know, anyways?

As for the players, I continue to be impressed with McKendry who looks like he could fill in for Koffie in a pinch and should be valuable down the road. Bustos, as my five year old said was, "tricky, but maybe a little too tricky." I love the industrious play of Levis, about whom I know very little, and Richey, who made a couple of great saves, kicks the ball well, and shows a lot of promise overall. Clarke seems like he should be better for where he is at in his development.

Watched it on youtube and that was really enjoyable. Caps showed they wanted to win this one. Levis is a special talent who gets himself into dangerous spots, if he could only make the right decision there....Also very impressed with Clarke, not only a hold-up player, but also taking on defenders one-on-one, I can see why they still believe he could make MLS one day.

Finally, I also enjoyed the commentary. Like with FC Edmonton games those guys were way better than many of the US MLS-commentators. It sounded like they actually knew something about the game. 

I think we should take a moment and acknowledge the incredible attendance of this match. They had over 1,300 people come out to see a D3 game on the same day, in the same city as the Canadian Women were playing in a knock-out game at the World Cup.

That speaks of loyalty (and marketing) that is worth making note of.

Took in the match live today. Good action and lots of fun - but soooooooo far from east van that I can't imagine that many would endeavour to come from any further afield than me, not on a regular basis at least, and a quick glance at the crowd should mostly Vancouverites (dare I say westsiders) vs the suburbanites who I think should be making up more of the numbers. Still not that excited about the venue choice but they are pulling in pretty good crowds, it's comfortable enough and hey, what do I know, anyways?

As for the players, I continue to be impressed with McKendry who looks like he could fill in for Koffie in a pinch and should be valuable down the road. Bustos, as my five year old said was, "tricky, but maybe a little too tricky." I love the industrious play of Levis, about whom I know very little, and Richey, who made a couple of great saves, kicks the ball well, and shows a lot of promise overall. Clarke seems like he should be better for where he is at in his development.

Catch a game or two together this summer?

Levis continues to impress. Bustos starting to round into form. But the guy I am starting to really get impressed with is Farmer. His passing from the back has improved immensely.

From the first game to now has been a huge difference for a lot of players. Farmer is one of the more noticeable improvements. Levis seems to be involved on almost all offensive plays.

2-1 win over a Portland tonight. Thundercaps have improved immensely from the beginning of the season and would blow out TFC 2 or FC Montreal in a match IMHO.

Victor Blasco looks like the player closest to a first team call up, too bad he's not Canadian. Mckendry looked good, Bustos looked good with some inventive dribbling before trying a trick shot 1v1 with the keeper. I admire a Canadian player who has imagination like that, because we don't have many. He's worth far more to the CMNT than another DM or CB. Bustos also threw a hissy fit when he was subbed out in the 85th minute. We went and sat on the bench by himself and refused to acknowledge anyone, which was strange because it was the 85th minute.

My post on the SS board:

About 2/3rds of the way through, the team has identified their best players, settled the lineup down and are in the chase for a playoff spot. In addition, they have some clear candidates for the first team. I've only watched about half the games so feel free to disagree.

Stock Up:

Victor Blasco. The clear winner, the winger is technically a level above everybody and the end product has arrived with three goals in the last two games. A lucky accident for the 'caps as he was headed to SFU but he has to get on the first team at the end of the year. I think he's better than Mezquida already.

Chris Serban: RB is a weakness across North America and Serban has been a lightning bolt with endless energy. I imagine they will let him play at UBC this fall before signing him to a first-team contract in January. Probably needs another year in USL but should be pushing for spot first team minutes next year.

Jackson Farmer. Was unimpressive in his previous USL appearances with Charleston but has really matured over the course of the season. Unless they really shake things up next year I don't see him getting a first team contract but he should be shooting for a place by the end of next season.

Christian Dean. Given his pedigree it's maybe not that impressive that he's a good USL player but he's been solid at center back and surprisingly good given his size at LB which he gets shuttled to often due to the team's glut at CB (lots of Diego Rodriguez). He's a great asset to the organization as left-footed defensive depth right now but he has to win a spot in the senior team rotation next year or it's time to move on.

Caleb Clarke. Solid goal-scoring record for a team that wasn't really at the races for the first third of the season. I don't know that I see Clarke as a MLS star as he's not great at any one aspect of striking but he certainly should be pushing Mattocks/Hurtado/Earnshaw for the second/third striker position as early as the CCL games this year. Looks a little bit lazy at times.

Tyler Rosenlund/Billy Schuler: Brought in to be the USL vets and have a good job stitching the team together as the season has progressed. I don't see either hitting the big club although Rosenlund may have an outside shot.

Stock Neutral:

Craig Nitti: Solid huge CB, good in the air and good with the ball. Too slow and clumsy to be a MLS player I think but is good at this level and I'd like to see him back next year.

Ben McKendry: Good when he gets on the ball, but often seems anonymous in games and I question his tactical ability. Certainly will be back next year but I don't see whom he plays over on the first team at this point.

Brett Levis/Sahil Sandhu. Levis has been magical at times but is anonymous at others and flatters to deceive a bit. Blasco's emergence has hurt his playing time but he's definitely a USL quality player with a reasonable shot of a first team contract in the future. Sandhu is decent wing depth but never seems to have an end product. I imagine he'll be back next year especially given his passport but it's not a big loss if he moves on.

Spencer Richey. Has looked good when he's played minus a few gaffes. It's tough that Tornaghi gets the starting minutes but it's the right call from the club's point of view.

Marco Bustos/Andre Lewis. A frustrating year for both guys with injury problems. The last third of the season is for both of them to lift the level of the team's play and carry the club to the playoffs. The early returns look promising for both players with Bustos a half level above.

Stock Down:

Mackenzie Pridham. MLS used to be full of athletic guys from California party schools but those days are pretty much over. Don't see him back next year.

Ian Christianson. Is this dude hurt?

Mitch Piraux/Jordan Haynes. Neither of these guys have been up to the USL level and the team's improvement as the season has gone on is partly due to both of them losing their playing time. Both will probably be back next year due to their youth, but they are the same age as Manneh, Froese, Bustos and Lewis, guys who all look like they belong as pros.

Marco Carducci. I've never seen the point of giving him a contract, he should have gone to school. He hasn't looked out-of-place while playing but he's the fourth best keeper in the organization right now (maybe fifth, depending on what you think of Nolan Wirth) and he's years away from the first team. ) He would have his pick of CIS schools right now and they can take another look at him in a few years when he's physically and mentally mature and Ousted is on the downside of his career.

Dub, agree with you on everything but:

McKendry has been very good and I would place him ahead of Flores.

Bustos is coming off injury and is just now rounding into form. As a central mid, he's better than Mezquida now.

Sampson looked like he was on the verge of being dropped but has played very well the last couple of games.

So WFC2 started less than the required number of Canadians as dictated by the CSA again last night. Lineup was Tornaghi (ITA), Sampson (SA), Nitti (USA), Rodriguez (URU), Serban (CAN), Rosenlund (CAN), McKendry (CAN), Lewis (JAM), Bustos (CAN), Blaco (ESP), Schuler (USA).

Not sure what their excuse was this time, but IMO they cannot use the Pan Am games as an excuse as only 2 of their members are with the Pan Am team. Meanwhile, TFC2 with 5 of their members at the Pan-Am games fielded a lineup which met the sanctioning requirements of 6 Canadian starters on Wednesday night.

I'm going to guess this will continue to happen if the CSA won't enforce the rules that need to be abided by for USL sanctioning. 

I agree, the sanctioning rules are too strict. The Vancouver players like Marco Bustos are getting a much better development experience playing on actual competitive teams in defined roles where they can actually display their offensive skills rather than having to play on disasters like TFC2 or FC Montreal where the teams can barely get out of their own end (like TFC2 against Rochester which I'm watching currently). Look how much someone like Mark-Anthony Kaye has regressed this year due to playing on a poor team filled with too-young players not good enough for the level.

The CSA needs to move down the CanCon rules next year to maybe about 80% of where they are right now, especially if other teams are going to come into USL if the Candian league doesn't happen.

Archived