National team camp for '2000 born players announced

Soccerpro

http://www.canadasoccer.com/young-canadian-talent-to-get-a-first-look-in-toronto-p157101

GK- Sebastian Zeballos-Castelo | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
GK- Gianluca Catalano | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
GK- Jordan Tisseur | CAN / Académie Impact de Montréal
GK- Trevor Schneider | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Pre-Residency
D- Brandon Bassi | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Pre-Residency
D- Afram Gorgees | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
D- Kareem Sow | CAN / Académie Impact de Montréal
D- Shawn Rojas | CAN / Académie Impact de Montréal
D- Nathan DaNova | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC Academy
D- Josh Moreira | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
D- Rosso Romeo | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
D- Collin Gander | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Michael Baldisimo | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
M- Alessandro Hojabrpour | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Pre-Residency
M- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Edmonton Strikers
M- Christopher Castillo | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Gabriel Escobar | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Pre-Residency
M- Luca Petrasso | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Steffen Yeattes | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Tristan Resendes | CAN / Académie Impact de Montréal
F- OlaKunle Dada-Luke | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Sahil Dhindsa | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Pre-Residency
F- Jose Hernandez | CAN / FC Edmonton Academy
F- Eric Yoseke | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC Academy
F- Jordan Faria | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Isaac Nichols | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Antony Caceres Claure | CAN / Edmonton Juventus

It appears a player born in 2000 in this country has no chance of playing for the national program unless they are in the academy of a professional club, or play for Edmonton Juventus or Edmonton Strikers. Very strange.

They will have regional camps after this just as last year I'd assume.

I'm not sure about that. They did regional camps last year and then picked a national camp. I'm not sure they'd do a reverse order.

Although props to the csa for massively increasing the number of youth camps over the last few years in general.

“This camp will allow us to evaluate the top prospects recommended by their respective clubs and serve as a benchmark in terms of standards as we embark with our regional camps early next year,” said Jazic. “Our main objective is to identify potential candidates for future national teams and expose them to international competition at a younger age.”

Says right in there that they will be having regional camps next year. 

“This camp will allow us to evaluate the top prospects recommended by their respective clubs and serve as a benchmark in terms of standards as we embark with our regional camps early next year,” said Jazic. “Our main objective is to identify potential candidates for future national teams and expose them to international competition at a younger age.”

Says right in there that they will be having regional camps next year. 

Touché

The Edmonton players are not at FC Edmonton because they don't run an Academy at that age, but I'm sure that those three players would be at FC Edmonton when they'll be old enough.

It appears their academy has 2001 born players. I think one of the other two also play for the eddies if you check their academy roster.

Not to stir anything, but  “This camp will allow us to evaluate the top prospects recommended by their respective clubs..." don't we have our own scouts to figure this out?  Do we only go by recommendations?  Maybe I'm just taking this too literal.

This is the first camp for that age group. I'm not sure how many times our coaches have seen play 14 year old kids, but they have seen those players less often than  the coaches at the Academies who have seen them and coaches at the pro Academies know more about those players than our coaches who may have seen the player once or maybe none because he was injured when he was there. Is it a perfect model? No. I'm sure that this had a lot to do with the reform and the pro academies being considered as important to the development of our players. Then again, 4 years ago, we had what 2 real pro youth academies. Now, Montreal is doing it up to the 7 year olds. Edmonton has a U15 academy and Ottawa has a pro club. You really want to see how they play and they prefer it that way then before with the select teams where Quebec was building a team to win and get more government money.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I like the direction soccer is headed in this country, as many positive changes have occurred. Won't happen overnight but steps are being taken.

2000 is very strong age group, especially in the GTA. TFC have some very impressive kids. What strikes me from the list and from the coaches comments is the OSA, and seemingly other provincial associations are being left out of the equation.

I understand the CSA wants to reward the academies and their players, hence this initial list of kids. It is odd that the coaches of the national U15 squad haven't been out to OYSL games to scout players, only relying on the advice of pro academy coaches. They have had a year to get out there. The Fury for example have two players listed. Both are at best the 15/16th best player in the city. Neither have any real business being on a provincial squad let alone a national one. I know it's early in the process, but shouldn't kids earn their way?

The pro academies are the way to development in this country. Community clubs still play a vital role in the pyramid of play. But they need to realize that the growth of the game, what's in the best interests of canadian soccer, need to take priority.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I like the direction soccer is headed in this country, as many positive changes have occurred. Won't happen overnight but steps are being taken.

2000 is very strong age group, especially in the GTA. TFC have some very impressive kids. What strikes me from the list and from the coaches comments is the OSA, and seemingly other provincial associations are being left out of the equation.

I understand the CSA wants to reward the academies and their players, hence this initial list of kids. It is odd that the coaches of the national U15 squad haven't been out to OYSL games to scout players, only relying on the advice of pro academy coaches. They have had a year to get out there. The Fury for example have two players listed. Both are at best the 15/16th best player in the city. Neither have any real business being on a provincial squad let alone a national one. I know it's early in the process, but shouldn't kids earn their way?

The pro academies are the way to development in this country. Community clubs still play a vital role in the pyramid of play. But they need to realize that the growth of the game, what's in the best interests of canadian soccer, need to take priority.

I am all for the CSA going their own route. It seems the provinces have for too long played politics and caused a lot of harm to the program. If the provinces and the CSA have a difference of opinion of who should be called, then let them choose who they want independently. Worst thing that can happen is more players are given a chance to shine at a higher (provincial or national) level.

Brandon Bassi

Sahil Dhindsa

Dam straight. I would've been pissed off if there were no Punjabis listed. Ideally we should comprise 30% of the roster but I guess this shall suffice for now.

Ideally we should comprise of 100% Canadians....  

From what has been written, it seems as though this camp is simply to see what the academies have to offer.

From there they will better be able to evaluate the non-academy players in the regional evaluation camps, and push those towards the full time programs

So then go scout the academies. Go watch them for yourself. I understand the path the CSA wishes to use; players in pro club structures. But it's lazy to just say send us your players so we can decide on them. These are the top players about to enter the national squads. Why aren't the coaches out at the various events over the last year to determine who should be invited?

I get that it is just the starting point, and many kids will get opportunities.

So then go scout the academies. Go watch them for yourself. I understand the path the CSA wishes to use; players in pro club structures. But it's lazy to just say send us your players so we can decide on them. These are the top players about to enter the national squads. Why aren't the coaches out at the various events over the last year to determine who should be invited?

I imagine its due to a lack of resources. A few years ago these camps were not even happening. We should be happy that they are now and I imagine the process will get better in the future. Rome wasn't built in a day...

How do you know some of this hasn't happened? I regularly saw Mitchell and then Dasovic at whitecaps residency games back in the day.

You are right. They may very well have. And I understand this is just a way for the CSA to promote the new relationship they have with pro clubs in terms of funnelling talent thru their programs. But this quote stood out.

"Their Academy Directors recommend their best talent."

Ok. But they are recommending kids for the highest level at an age level, the national team. If they had been out there scouting they would know some of these kids are nowhere near the level. The role of the CSA isn't to develop the talent; that's the responsibility of the clubs. Their role is to be the ones identifying it.

Archived