Mattias Laba situation

baulderdash77

So at the end of the season what is going to happen with Mattias Laba?

After the trade it was implied that Laba could be coming back to Toronto or Vancouver would have to buy out his transfer price at the end of the season.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/2/27/5453604/toronto-sun-sheds-light-on-future-considerations-in-laba-trade-to

Is that pretty much the gist of it?

With Defoe likely out of Toronto; Laba looks like a perfect compliment to Bradley in midfield.

With his play this season does it look likely that Vancouver will buy him out or that Toronto will try to force a return to Toronto?

Toronto won't replace Defoe's DP slot with Laba.. that won't sell to the casual fans even though most of us know how valuable a guy like Laba is.  If Gilberto and Defoe go, then it's possible but otherwise, I don't see it.

I think it's time TFC stopped worrying about selling tickets to soccer games and started worrying about winning them.

Given how he has played (2 less than stellar games all season) he should be a shoo-in for MVP IMHO. Yes Morales gets all the publicity but he has been the difference for us so many times it is mind boggling. Until Waston showed up he held the fort in front of a CB rotation that was less than in sync. If we make the playoffs it is because of him. 

TFC management need to take a year off from the forwards and midfielders and realize you have to build a team from the back out. You guys are 3rd worst in goals against in the league. You need an upgrade at CB and a serious DM in front to start with. From there add in the pieces. Until TFC realize this they will continue to not get results when their offence isn't clicking. Those losses that could have been draws and draws that could have been wins add up over the season. 

Defence first! I know it isn't glamorous but it is what wins in soccer. 

Bradley and Gilberto are fine for DP's, we always give up on players too soon, only for them to excel the following years at another club. the list is innumerable. 

However, the coaching has been atrocious and that's an area that was never invested by the club. Losing Defoe is huge and hard to replace, but it doesn't work when the tactics and team preparation are subpar, many ex-players have commented on how amateur the training and prep is. 

I wish Tim Lieweke would stay and complete his promise to the fans. However, the front office needs to focus on one signing ONLY. A proven MLS, winning COACH. Whatever it takes to sign an experienced and name brand coach and pay him what he is worth - a place in the playoffs. 

Serious question: Would any of the TFC coaches used Tiebert as a defensive holding midfielder? Heck no! However he has excelled there alongside Laba. 

The core team is great, Bendik, Caldwell (if can stay fit), Bradley Osorio, Gilberto, is a nice spine to have. In my opinion Henry is not ready for the big time and might still need 2 years to further his development, but it'll be worth the wait. Yes we do need some defensive help, and we do need wingers who can cross a decent ball into the box, but I really do think a good coach is the difference for next year. 

Bob Bradley might fancy getting his son into the playoffs for a a semi truck full of money. Maybe Arena needs a new challenge and new jet. I can dream.

As soon as the rumours started swirling that Laba would be the odd DP out I knew he was done with the team. All this talk from the club that it is really just a loan and that the price Vancouver will have to pay is so steep are just spin.

Besides, the talk in Toronto is that off the record Tim Bezchenko will tell anyone that Laba isn't going to be back. Vancouver will pay whatever the agreed upon deal is. I heard is it simply Laba's transfer fee. Which makes Bezchenko look like a liar if true.

The Laba situation is a classic example of how badly TFC is run.

I was under the impression that Laba was done at TFC with the trade. 

Agreed. But a lot of the hardcore fanbase loved the guy so the club tried to spin the move as temporary. Or at least what Vancouver had to pay to keep him would be so astronomical that he would be back. There was a lot of denial among the fanbase. Plus there is a constituency of TFC fans who's first instinct is to always defend management, no matter how stupid the moves they make.

My guess is that TFC management were hoping that the season would have went so well that no one would care that Laba was moved. Instead the season is in disarray and TFC has let yet another great player go. Meahwhile the DPs that were signed and pushed Laba out may not even be here next year.

As soon as the rumours started swirling that Laba would be the odd DP out I knew he was done with the team. All this talk from the club that it is really just a loan and that the price Vancouver will have to pay is so steep are just spin.

Besides, the talk in Toronto is that off the record Tim Bezchenko will tell anyone that Laba isn't going to be back. Vancouver will pay whatever the agreed upon deal is. I heard is it simply Laba's transfer fee. Which makes Bezchenko look like a liar if true.

The Laba situation is a classic example of how badly TFC is run.

I suspect this is the truth.

Bob Bradley might fancy getting his son into the playoffs for a a semi truck full of money. Maybe Arena needs a new challenge and new jet. I can dream.

Man, they should throw EVERYTHING at this man. TFC need a proven coach. They have the cash to pry him away from Norway and Micheal is the trump card.

Even if there was some high price that Vancouver would have to pay to keep Laba, There is no doubt that the whitecaps would gladly pay it right now

Hiring Bradley as coach might create a situation where TFC is unable to fire him if the team performs poorly due to his son being on the team. This could create a pretty bad situation.

That makes no sense. Bob was fired for losing the Gold Cup, a team Michael was a part of. This is a results oriented business and Bob understands this better than most. . 

He took the Egyptian team to the play-off elimination round when the country, the league and players were in total disarray.  He took the USMNT to a major FIFA final handing Spain their first loss in years. Not to mention LD scoring would could be the most Brazilian goal the USA has ever produced. 

He's a winner with DC United, and Chicago and his time in Norway has been a resounding success. He took a team with no money no talent and beat powerhouse Rosenborg along the way. THE MAN DELIVERS.

That's what TFC needs, structure and a winning mentality. the only other candidate I see is Benito Floro, the man took a team stuck in futility and made them impossible to break down by the 3 best team in the world. You have to remember that this Colombia team was better than the World cup team, this team had Falcao : : ).  

Whitecaps already acquired him permanently for "future considerations." The only way TFC get him back is if Whitecaps don't send the future considerations to TFC or if MLS gives teams a 4th DP spot. That said, it's my understanding Whitecaps already provided these "future considerations" and the deal is done.

Archived