Canada U18 heading to France

aloyol

We in this country have to come to realizes that we are sending these players over to these games not prepared, 5 to 6 days together before they have to play against teams that are together far more then ours. We  even have three players that are not even in full time programs. The fact that they do compete is amazing, until we develop a full time program for our national players that allows them to train and play mean full games often we will alway lag behind.

I think that the last time this group was together was in April for 8 t0 10 days

Lack of prep for a tourney is just a small slice of the issue. You don't achieve the skill level mentally & physically of the French team overnight. They're renowned for their elite academies. The federation has about 12 of them and one of them is probably the best in the world. They start developing them at 13 years and train 5 days a week and they can also play with the home team clubs on the weekend.

In contrast, we are structurally deficient by being late to the game training our players and don't have enough qualified people to train them up to an elite level. And we can't make it up culturally since our football culture is at third worldish levels.

The highlights from the France game were jarring. It should have been 8-1 for France. I could care less about the score when we get played off the park.

+1... this was France though... to keep things in perspective. But the scoreline did not reflect the game or skill levels on display.

The highlights from the France game were jarring. It should have been 8-1 for France. I could care less about the score when we get played off the park.

2 years ago I would ve lived with a 1-1 in a game that should ve been 8-1 for Honduras...

Its interesting watching these highlights (which I admit is limited to get a full view).  I thought we didn't look bad going forward and in each match, we seem to get better which makes sense as players get familiar with each other and grow in confidence.  There were a few times where players really tried to run at the defense which was good.

But I thought our defending was very poor.  The side seemed well organised but the individual players were just sloppy.  And I thought our keeper(s) were very weak.  I would say the bulk of the chances were caused by simple defensive sloppiness or keeper errors.   

Number 11 for us seems to be a player. Creative and tricky on the ball.  The scorer of the goal against France.  Looked as good as anyone else I saw on the highlights.

Archived