Montreal at Toronto, V Cup final 1st leg

I found a pretty decent feed on sport lemon, but thanks anyways!

So the first half is in the books and I caught the last 20 minutes of it. Have to agree with Craig Forrest, MTL do seem like a team low on confidence. Ouimette, Bernier and Henry are all having pretty typical games from what I can see. Morgan though has been a nice surprise. I was expecting more rust since he has been out of the team for so long, but he looks good (by his standards). Had one nice cross into the box but nobody could get on the end of it. Hopefully for the sake of the CMNT he can steal Justin Morrow's spot at LB.

Memo to Klopas. Nice job putting Jack Mac on WITH DiVaio. Take note. Write it on your hand, chest, or who knows? Somewhere special. It opened up space for the wide players. It took the defenders' focus off DiVaio. It was effective. Why in God's name can this not happen for 90 minutes. In an MLS league match. Why.

Woof, that was not a game with a lot of quality. De Rosario is *really* done. I think we can also start calling Gilberto mediocre at this point. I know everyone is tired of Toronto constantly blowing it up but I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to think about getting rid of Rey and De Rosario over the break to free up some cap space to sign some better attackers. Montreal is mediocre at best, but at least they have have a few players who can do something offensively.

Memo to Klopas. Nice job putting Jack Mac on WITH DiVaio. Take note. Write it on your hand, chest, or who knows? Somewhere special. It opened up space for the wide players. It took the defenders' focus off DiVaio. It was effective. Why in God's name can this not happen for 90 minutes. In an MLS league match. Why.

Montreal would get killed defensively playing like that too much. Their backline is already leaky enough as it is.

Montreal is going to win the tie, whether it is 1-1 and on penalties or not. Convinced Nelson doesn't want to win this, he knows as much as we do what a bane to MLS performance the CCL is. Montreal can now see that they will *probably* get NYRB in their group, which makes it winnable. Making a decent CCL run, despite league performance suffering, might be alright for them this season.

Montreal is going to win the tie, whether it is 1-1 and on penalties or not. Convinced Nelson doesn't want to win this, he knows as much as we do what a bane to MLS performance the CCL is. Montreal can now see that they will *probably* get NYRB in their group, which makes it winnable. Making a decent CCL run, despite league performance suffering, might be alright for them this season.

Nelsen needs to win the V Cup to keep his job.  If he loses and TFC goes on another bad run in the league he may not make it to August anyway. 

Woof, that was not a game with a lot of quality. De Rosario is *really* done.

Because he hit the cross-bar twice?

I was expecting that this game would feature criticism of a striker from the fans, but it wasn't DeRo that I thought would be the brunt of it. There's a certain million-dollar DP up front who starts every game, has two fewer goals than Doneil Henry, continues to not know where he is supposed to run to on the field, surprisingly doesn't know how to pass when the team is on 5 on 3 break, and his name isn't De Rosario. He's the one that needs to start producing.

Nelsen needs to win the V Cup to keep his job.  If he loses and TFC goes on another bad run in the league he may not make it to August anyway. 

Nelsen is not being judged by V Cup. He will be fired for failing to make the playoffs however

I'm in complete agreement here, they are already long shots for the playoffs, they might as well try and put together a cup run in a weak group. 

Because he hit the cross-bar twice?

I was expecting that this game would feature criticism of a striker from the fans, but it wasn't DeRo that I thought would be the brunt of it. There's a certain million-dollar DP up front who starts every game, has two fewer goals than Doneil Henry, continues to not know where he is supposed to run to on the field, surprisingly doesn't know how to pass when the team is on 5 on 3 break, and his name isn't De Rosario. He's the one that needs to start producing.

Oh, Gilberto is mediocre as well, I think it's pretty clear. De Rosario just does have the athleticism to compete at this level anymore. Maybe as a #10 in a 4-5-1 where he doesn't have to run much.

I'm in complete agreement here, they are already long shots for the playoffs, they might as well try and put together a cup run in a weak group. 

TFC is 3 pts out of a playoff spot, and has about 3-5 games in hand to everyone else

As has been mentioned above, Nelson isn't getting fired over Voyageurs Cup results. His job hinges on making the MLS playoffs.

I find it funny that people are saying that De Rosario is done. I thought he played a better game than his $1.5 million DP counterpart. Of course Gilberto is getting the kid gloves treatment by a lot of TFC fans. But whenever I see him close to the net I just assume he won't score now. At this point I'd be surprised if he lasts the season.

Nice to see Henry bounce back with a decent game.

Montreal would get killed defensively playing like that too much. Their backline is already leaky enough as it is.

Their 3 first choice CBs have been injured all season, one of which is Mr. Glass apparently. So yes. But I'm not convinced that beyond 3 or 4 teams the MLS has the finishing to really punish you for attacking in waves on a weekly basis. Anyway I'd pay to watch a season of 3-2 losses rather than 0-0 draws and 1-0 losses any day. But That's Just Me™

Archived