Montreal at Toronto, V Cup final 1st leg

As has been mentioned above, Nelson isn't getting fired over Voyageurs Cup results. His job hinges on making the MLS playoffs.

I find it funny that people are saying that De Rosario is done. I thought he played a better game than his $1.5 million DP counterpart. Of course Gilberto is getting the kid gloves treatment by a lot of TFC fans. But whenever I see him close to the net I just assume he won't score now. At this point I'd be surprised if he lasts the season.

Nice to see Henry bounce back with a decent game.

He's the Brazilian Chad Barrett.

Those out-of-nothing chances that De Rosario still manages to create are the only reason he's still playing, but he can not be a starter any more, for any team. He has no influence on the game and does not do any defending.

I know Hagglund has been getting a lot of love lately. Is this more because the things he does not do (get whistled for penalties a la Henry)? Because in the matches I have seen he seems to do little other than head the ball and lump it forward. Perhaps RB is not his spot, but I was not impressed. Lovitz had a decent first half, but faded fast in the second.

I know Hagglund has been getting a lot of love lately. Is this more because the things he does not do (get whistled for penalties a la Henry)? Because in the matches I have seen he seems to do little other than head the ball and lump it forward. Perhaps RB is not his spot, but I was not impressed.

It isn't - he's a central defender. Nelsen is strangely fond of often playing players out of position. Orr is supposed to be a right back but he was in d-mid and by the end of the game Morgan was out of position as well.

Back to DeRo - even outside of the 2 crossbar chances, I feel he holds up the ball & engages his teammates in the play very well, far more than his strike partner ever does. I think it is obvious that he's not a 28 year old anymore (go figure) but he has still shown he can contribute & be useful. Which is more than can be said right now of one of the team's DP's, though hopefully the guy will turn things around.

It isn't - he's a central defender. Nelsen is strangely fond of often playing players out of position. Orr is supposed to be a right back but he was in d-mid and by the end of the game Morgan was out of position as well.

Back to DeRo - even outside of the 2 crossbar chances, I feel he holds up the ball & engages his teammates in the play very well, far more than his strike partner ever does. I think it is obvious that he's not a 28 year old anymore (go figure) but he has still shown he can contribute & be useful. Which is more than can be said right now of one of the team's DP's, though hopefully the guy will turn things around.

DeRo was gassed by 60min mark. He's super sub. And it pains me to see him so slow

Honestly, I think he retires at the end of the season before he starts looking really ridiculous 

DeRo was gassed by 60min mark. He's super sub. And it pains me to see him so slow

Honestly, I think he retires at the end of the season before he starts looking really ridiculous 

Probably the best move, but I don't know if his ego will let him. Why couldn't he just age like Giggs?

Probably the best move, but I don't know if his ego will let him. Why couldn't he just age like Giggs?

I think he could have, but injuries last 2 years killed his body

And Giggs is smart enough to adapt his game from speedy winger to central midfielder. DeRo can't, or won't, change his game.

I think playing Morgan as a left mid isn't playing him out of position.

Until he starts playing in that spot with any regularity & can get accustomed to what he has to do there, it definitely is. Whether or not he's suited to that position if he should ever gain that experience is another matter.

I think he could have, but injuries last 2 years killed his body

And Giggs is smart enough to adapt his game from speedy winger to central midfielder. DeRo can't, or won't, change his game.

Or simply isn't being played there by his coach who wants him to play up front instead. I think De Ro would prefer to play behind the two strikers. And I wouldn't necessarily have played him for 90 minutes either yesterday, but he was the only player for TFC who looked like he might score from something other than a set piece - the two strikers who can score  were both injured & unavailable, and I don't think Nelsen has much faith in Weideman (which would be justified, in all honesty), so that's why I think he played him the whole game.

Or simply isn't being played there by his coach who wants him to play up front instead. I think De Ro would prefer to play behind the two strikers. And I wouldn't necessarily have played him for 90 minutes either yesterday, but he was the only player for TFC who looked like he might score from something other than a set piece - the two strikers who can score  were both injured & unavailable, and I don't think Nelsen has much faith in Weideman (which would be justified, in all honesty), so that's why I think he played him the whole game.

Wait, when did Defoe get hurt?

DeRo as AM will never happen under Nelsen. well, maybe never is too strong, but Nelsen is a 4-4-2 man, and DeRo in one of 2 CM spots is a liability defensively (and can't see Nelsen playing a 4-4-2 diamond)

DeRo played as a CM for Houston for a number of years and was not a defensive liability. That's how he became a top player in MLS, he was switched from a mediocre forward to an All-Star CM.

DeRo of 08 is completely different than DeRo of 14. he simply does not have the stamina or the pace to play in 4 man midfield effectively anymore, esp in a box to box role Nelsen asks his CMs to play

Archived