Ottawa Fury FC vs FC Edmonton April 30, 2014 19:30EST/6:30PST

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering how soccer in Canada is gonna progress when the CSA can't even properly show off its flagship tournament.

I asked Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest to please fight at Sportsnet to show all the VCup games on TV, for the sake of soccer in Canada.

Cap-Tie - Hanson Boakai, Marko Aleksic, Sadi Jalali immediately ...

Shaun Saiko too while your add it ...

Hamza Elias looked really fast

Nonni played well from what i saw, strong defending, one on one, n two dangerous crosses

Can anyone confirm nationalities for me? In my Canadian minutes spreadsheet I've been listing Aleksic as Canadian (I read he moved here at age 5, must be a citizen by now). What's Mallan Roberts up to this year?

Elias is straight up Ghanaian, right? I only ask because all the other players listed here are Canadian(-ish)

I'm positive that if CSA were to hire just a few passionate Voyageurs they could really turn up the promo and marketing of this tournament. Really poor. Not even video highlights! Seriously? They can do so much better with this IF they invested some effort!  Two thousand people in the stands? The game, and this tournament, are not promoted enough.  I'm sure Amway didn't even know one of their tournament matches was on that night!  Just sad.  

Am I the only guy thinking Edward is Canada's best natural RB?

I, for one, definitely think that if we can look at tier 3 and tier 4 Germany, then we can at least LOOK at guys on the Fury and the Eddies.  RB has been a problem for some time, and we've had a natural midfielder (Ledgerwood) or natural CBs start there quite often.  And Ledgerwood is one of those guys that has been Tier 2 Sweden or Tier 3 Germany, If we can call players at T2 Sweden, we can give Fresenga and Edward (who ARE natural RBs) a look.  Fresenga got his look when still in Uruguay, and now is not a starter in NASL.  Edward IS a starter in NASL.  I agree, let's give him at least a look.

(for the record, when it comes to fullbacks, it is Laing who I wish was Canadian.  Possibly the best fullback in the entire NASL)

Can anyone confirm nationalities for me? In my Canadian minutes spreadsheet I've been listing Aleksic as Canadian (I read he moved here at age 5, must be a citizen by now). What's Mallan Roberts up to this year?

Mallan is still waiting for his papers, I gather.

This game was a result that FC Edmonton fans have long deserved, as it feels like the team has blown scoring chance after scoring chance all year. Hell of a game by Boakai, he was all over the pitch. Aleksic was great as well in a CB role. A full 90 minutes for two 17 year old homegrown players is a great sign for the development of local players.

Attendance was 2001. Not a great crowd by any means, but I imagine the crowd should improve for next week against the Impact. 

Looked like under 1000 to me unless there were a lot of people in the stand not shown by the camera. The stadium has been improved a lot though, looks pretty decent by NASL standards. Hopefully the attraction of an MLS opponent will pack the place next week because it would be nice to see the smaller clubs at least breaking even or hopefully making money by participating in this tournament.

Great game by Boakai, the type of player Canada needs. Hopefully he can continue to develop. A lot of disappointment in Montreal though about not having a game next week in Ottawa. We would have brought a lot of people.

Looked like under 1000 to me unless there were a lot of people in the stand not shown by the camera. The stadium has been improved a lot though, looks pretty decent by NASL standards. Hopefully the attraction of an MLS opponent will pack the place next week because it would be nice to see the smaller clubs at least breaking even or hopefully making money by participating in this tournament.

Great game by Boakai, the type of player Canada needs. Hopefully he can continue to develop. A lot of disappointment in Montreal though about not having a game next week in Ottawa. We would have brought a lot of people.

we feel the same way :-(. Were already looking into renting coaches :-(. Coming from Ottawa to Montreal that is...

Great game from Boakai. He's got natural ability that you can't teach.

I'll point out one play though, around the 60th minute mark, I think. He led a 3 v 2 breakaway and had guys on both flanks running full steam, especially the one on the right flank wide open. He instead chose to shoot it straight at the keeper from outside the box. Hope he learns more about the decision-making, maybe in his high school P.E. class haha.

I'll point out one play though, around the 60th minute mark, I think. He led a 3 v 2 breakaway and had guys on both flanks running full steam, especially the one on the right flank wide open. He instead chose to shoot it straight at the keeper from outside the box. Hope he learns more about the decision-making, maybe in his high school P.E. class haha.

Agreed that this particular play seemed like a wasted chance when it ended up straight on the keeper, and Mapleblood and I had the exact same conversation about it in the stands. But considering the game he had and that he does know when to dish it off, as evidenced by the two goals he set up for Fordyce to tap in, don't you think this is really working hard to find some nits to pick on? :rolleyes:  

Too often in the past, the Eddies were guilty of bouncing the ball back and forth in the attacking third with nobody apparently feeling confident enough to shoot the damn thing on net. I will gladly take this style of play, with 3 of the 4 good opportunities for Boakai ending up in the back of the Furries net.

I remember Sandor commenting on this. I think he had Laing on the left, not sure on the right. I applaud him for having the confidence to take the chance, as Shaman says, the Eddies did not have that last year.

Also, he graduates today so no more school. Unless he wants to make like Billy Madison and go back to school.

Haha, I don't think I had to pick too hard, if all of you and the commentator all thought the same thing :)

I didn't have a great feed from Ontario, but what i saw was that the two assists that he made were, a great but an obvious cross, and a layoff after a nice dribble from the left flank.

But, to make the correct pass from a counter breakaway situation is what will separate the good players from the great. Also, it's exactly the type of play that will endear/infuriate your manager and your teammates.

Like I said, great talent, fresh high school grad, here's to hoping he continues to develop.

But, to make the correct pass from a counter breakaway situation is what will separate the good players from the great.

Haha yourself. So this is the benchmark you set because all of the "great" experienced players on the Furries were doing this consistently all game long? lol

Looks like a case of chronic nitpicking to me. ;)

You guys know, footy is about converting the many chances you get during the match into the rare few goals during the game.

That play seemed like one of the best chances for FCE in the whole game, along with Boakai's goal, so I'd consider it a pivotal moment in the game. The other two goals from FCE were less better chances that the players happened to score with some very nice conversions.

The play was pivotal enough to put in one of those Bacardi Game in Six Minutes :D

2001 is a pretty convenient number ;) Anyone care to guess the real number?

Probably around 1500, unlike last year when the ga awkwardly placed stands weren't used they are using them this season, crowd was really spread out, quite a few standing at the fence on the camera side as well. Dis-appointing turnout considering the great warm weather and how many they had at commonwealth last season. Hope they can get at least 3000 for the Montreal Impact game.

Archived