New York City FC

madmonte

So, it's official. One particular comment strikes my eye.

"We are here to develop a fantastic football product which will use our strength, knowledge and extended scouting network all over the world," he said. "Obviously there is the commercial opportunity for New York City FC and Manchester City and we have great players in our academies... it is only natural some of these players might be playing in New York."

From Soriano. At least they have a better academy than Guadalajara. I think you guys know where I'm going with this.

Anyways, anything NYCFC related to throw out there?

I'm wondering if the league will eventually have to limit the number of players a team can have on loan. We've seen TFC go loan crazy this season.

What's to stop Man City loaning decent players to NYCFC for next to nothing?

So where exactly is NYCFC going to play?

I'm wondering if the league will eventually have to limit the number of players a team can have on loan. We've seen TFC go loan crazy this season.

What's to stop Man City loaning decent players to NYCFC for next to nothing?

So where exactly is NYCFC going to play?

Sounds like the Flushing stadium they were talking about may not fly.. sounds like Yankee stadium as a temp venue when they start is the plan

Its Gotham City FC for me, or Empire City FC.... the three words before the FC doesn't really work.

Somebody phone them and let them know.

Why not just NYFC? Lose the city in the name, we get it you really want to be called "city" so you can be all phony and euro like most teams in the league.

I think the league is completely off base in letting this happen. This only gives the average American non-soccer fan (so the majority of the country) the idea that MLS is a farm league. Clinging onto bigger sports franchises will NEVER work in the USA. MLS really had a chance to become the 5th "Major" sports league in North America after NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL but by doing this they've pretty much assured that won't happen by admitting that they are lesser than those leagues.

Imagine if during the NHL's inception they accepted a Yankee franchise instead of the Rangers? Imagine what a joke that would be...

So the Cosmos aren't getting in?

One of my thoughts of why MLS has announced the NYC team now is that this is a bit of a bid to screw the NASL over by preventing any chance of the NASL gaining a foothold in NYC with the Cosmos name. MLS may still be looking to buy the Cosmos name a few years down the line if NASL doesn't continue to grow like they hope they will, and this will definitely hurt the NASL's potential growth in that major market.

Why not just NYFC? Lose the city in the name, we get it you really want to be called "city" so you can be all phony and euro like most teams in the league.

I think the league is completely off base in letting this happen. This only gives the average American non-soccer fan (so the majority of the country) the idea that MLS is a farm league. Clinging onto bigger sports franchises will NEVER work in the USA. MLS really had a chance to become the 5th "Major" sports league in North America after NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL but by doing this they've pretty much assured that won't happen by admitting that they are lesser than those leagues.

Imagine if during the NHL's inception they accepted a Yankee franchise instead of the Rangers? Imagine what a joke that would be...

Since, you know, the city is called New York City they are in fact just tagging in the FC to the city's name.

And, you know, they are actually owned by Manchester City so the play on words works.

Whether the cross-branding works remains to be seen, but that's a different discussion.

^

Agreed to a point. MLS has done a great job of gobbling up those markets which have supported NASL/A-League teams in a major league fashion (Portland. Montreal) both for the cash-ola and to "correct" appearances. You just get the feeling that NYC could be just like one of those places where a "local" team could be the next big thing outside MLS if handled properly. So why take that risk? Especially if someone else is willing to pay you $100M to do the real work.

MLS has had a sort of relapse into A.E.F. syndrome, haven't they? Addicted to Expansion Fees syndrome.

Don't get me wrong. I'm convinced its an absolutely GREAT idea if they can locate a team out in Queens or the Bronx (or better still Brooklyn but that ain't going to happen). But as you've probably guessed I think the geography is very important. But a second team playing out of Red Bull Arena just isn't going to have the same effect, excellent venue though it be, so I hope they aren't headed that way.

Since, you know, the city is called New York City they are in fact just tagging in the FC to the city's name.

And, you know, they are actually owned by Manchester City so the play on words works.

Whether the cross-branding works remains to be seen, but that's a different discussion.

I think Chivas USA are an excellent example of what happens when cross-branding, but hey, 100 million dollars is 100 million dollars and who would argue with that. MLS needs all the money it can get. They are so dirt-poor that they only spend less that 3 million per team roster budget every year. That's less than 3% of the discussed franchise fee. Are half the teams in this league making any money? Is NY energy drink making any money?

^

Agreed to a point. MLS has done a great job of gobbling up those markets which have supported NASL/A-League teams in a major league fashion (Portland. Montreal) both for the cash-ola and to "correct" appearances. You just get the feeling that NYC could be just like one of those places where a "local" team could be the next big thing outside MLS if handled properly. So why take that risk? Especially if someone else is willing to pay you $100M to do the real work.

MLS has had a sort of relapse into A.E.F. syndrome, haven't they? Addicted to Expansion Fees syndrome.

Don't get me wrong. I'm convinced its an absolutely GREAT idea if they can locate a team out in Queens or the Bronx (or better still Brooklyn but that ain't going to happen). But as you've probably guessed I think the geography is very important. But a second team playing out of Red Bull Arena just isn't going to have the same effect, excellent venue though it be, so I hope they aren't headed that way.

True enough. I do think MLS wanted to get their NYC team up and sounding glamorous before NASL Cosmos had the chance to actually establish themselves. Say what you will but the Cosmos name is valuable and this expansion has hurt the NASL, and therefore paved the way to MLS buying the Cosmos name in the future for a lot less than it may have been able to otherwise.

I think Chivas USA are an excellent example of what happens when cross-branding, but hey, 100 million dollars is 100 million dollars and who would argue with that. MLS needs all the money it can get. They are so dirt-poor that they only spend less that 3 million per team roster budget every year. That's less than 3% of the discussed franchise fee. Are half the teams in this league making any money? Is NY energy drink making any money?

MLS' propaganda machine has worked well on you, it seems. The league is neither dirt poor nor only spending less than 3 million per team roster.

two Points here:

Firts,

NYCFC seems like a bad had a scrabble to me.

(feel free to turn that into a chant- "bad hand a scrabble, your just a bad hand at scrabble")

Second.

Yankees building a stadium in Queens? Wonder what Mets fans think about that?

Apparently some in Brooklyn still think the Dodgers are still coming back and that LA is just an extended Summer camp.

Oh, actually a third Point.

If a tie in between an EPL team and the Yankees is such an obvious marrige, why did Manchester United hand back the engagement ring afew years back?

With regards to the Cosmos: They have a head start to establish themselves in Elmomt/Queens area as they will be playing THIS YEAR not in 2015. Personally I wouldn't seem them as CLUB NEWYORK, but rather as the team form long Island playing for the boroughs of Long Island. NYCFC may be better focused around the Bronx and playing up to the Manhatten crowd.

It does bemuse me that if NYC can host the NY rangers and the NYIslanders in the NHL, Giants and Jets in the NLF, Mets and Yankees in MLB, that a Metroplolis of its size cannot host two Soccer teams.

Oh thats right , because as far as the MLS is concerned its not actually about soccer is it?

Those who automatically assume teams are using NASL as a springboard for MLS bid haven't quite got why the NASL formed as a breakaway from USL in the first place.

Besides, Indy 11 FC have this wonderful "shiney" new Keyring/bottle opener that can be viewed on twitter....

I personal think this will help the NASL.

3 teams in NY should help keep soccer in the minds of millions.

Maybe even set up a NYC cup game to see who has bragging rights for the year.

Remember NASL has a diiferent model, more similar to that of the rest of the soccer world.

No salary cap, individual agreements of sport wear, single table format.

I thinks MLS has too many weak teams, and they are VERY lucky that MONTREAL, SEATTLE, PORTLAND and VANVOUVER jumped ship when they did.

If they stayed with the NASL/USL we would be discussing on how will the MLS will survive.

I personal think this will help the NASL.

3 teams in NY should help keep soccer in the minds of millions.

Maybe even set up a NYC cup game to see who has bragging rights for the year.

Remember NASL has a diiferent model, more similar to that of the rest of the soccer world.

No salary cap, individual agreements of sport wear, single table format.

I thinks MLS has too many weak teams, and they are VERY lucky that MONTREAL, SEATTLE, PORTLAND and VANVOUVER jumped ship when they did.

If they stayed with the NASL/USL we would be discussing on how will the MLS will survive.

Also worth brearing in mind that Vancouver and Montreal have apparently maintained their "Membership " within the NASL.

Also worth brearing in mind that Vancouver and Montreal have apparently maintained their "Membership " within the NASL.

I thought I heard that a year ago.

And they were part of the original TOA.

I guess if they jumped ship again, there would be no fees involved.

But does the NASL have any fees to join??

I just like where NASL are going with expansion...don't be surprised with NYCFC getting a team and snuffing Orlando, that Orlando MAYBE come over to the NASL for more exposure?? I would love to see that...Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, and Orlando.

I know, I went off topic. I like when I see expansion, MLS or NASL. Just means soccer is growing in popularity and opens up the doors for Candians and Americans to show that we can compete with the rest of the world and maybe one day North America MIGHT be a top 5 League.

We can all hope for that.

I thought I heard that a year ago.

And they were part of the original TOA.

I guess if they jumped ship again, there would be no fees involved.

But does the NASL have any fees to join?.

From what I know, most of which comes from the irrefutable SteveSandor at the11.ca is that the League has a registration fee, but its more like the one you pay to Join your rec league rather than the the type associated with an MLS expansion.

Obviously its a tad more than $150 and change, but your not adding an 'M' after the numbers.

There is a criteria however for Memebership which requires the ownership groups to have a principle Owner with over 50% holding and $20 million in bankable assets. The Teams are required to provide a $750K bond each season to ensure they don't belly up during that season, and the NASL has impressed that it is has a desire for its teams to play in Soccer specific stadia with a 5000 minimum set capacity.

I believe the "reson detra" of the NASL is to bring clubs into the NASL who have every intention of growing their clubs in a more european manner. This would also be locally focused on the regions and towns they proport to represent.

In the case of edmonton we have a Local businesmen puting as many local boys onto the roster with Irish and Scotish imports who don't break the bank.

Its worth noting that whilst the NASL registers players it does not hold central contracts on them and non of the other clubs can dictate where those players move to at the end of the season.

to that end, (currenty) small fan base notwithstanding, FC Edmonton is probably set up more like the original LFC than TFC.

Other than that the Clubs are left to their Own Devices , such that when I buy an Edmonton Shirt FC Edmonton get the sales money. As will the Fury boys.

Please include some facts to back up your comments.

My apologies, I didn't mean to come across as grumpy as my last post did.

All I'm saying is that MLS is not nearly as skint as it'll have you believe. That's intentional.

Archived