Whitecaps playoff push

RJB

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not counting my chickens yet. We win one of our last 2 games or they lose one of their last 2 and we are in. I'll celebrate once we beat Portland. I never thought Dallas would lose any points to Chivas. That was a huge blunder by them. Opened the door for us and now we just have to go through it. We will.

Beating Seattle at home is hard but weird stuff happens. Just look at Chivas getting a point from Dallas. Without JDG in the middle (card accumulation) Dallas will have a weakness that I hope Seattle will exploit.

Thanks for the optimistic, if somewhat premature, congrats. It's been a wild roller coaster ride for us this year but I think we can finish it on a winning note.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, the more I think about this, the more I see this as a fake reward. The Whitecaps will still be a bottom half team this year and continue to trumpet this as a historic achievement. I'm happy that they have improved over last year, however making the playoffs doesn't hide the fact that they are a long way off.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I see this as a fake reward. The Whitecaps will still be a bottom half team this year and continue to trumpet this as a historic achievement. I'm happy that they have improved over last year, however making the playoffs doesn't hide the fact that they are a long way off.

We have played some good games against some of the best teams in the league...the 2 wins against San Jose stand out. As a second year expansion team with significant improvement I would say making the playoffs is a big achievement. Would you rather be Portland? TFC? then stop complaining. As long as we have a shot at the MLS Cup I am happy. Could have done with a Voyageurs Cup/Cascadia Cup this year, but there is always next year.

Making the playoffs on 2nd year is a huge achievement, but considering how hot Vancouver to start the season, 2nd half must feel like regression.

Lots of questions for Vancouver to answer in the off season, esp when a lot of key players are starting to get really old. As much as I love Lee Young Pyo, his play has dropped off considerably due to fatigue as the season went on.

As long as we have a shot at the MLS Cup I am happy.

Making the playoffs is certainly the logical next step for the Whitecaps, but I hardly think calling it a historic achievement is necessary. They remain a bottom half team. I'm satisfied that they are improving, but I have much higher standards than you it seems, because I expect more than just a mid-table club. I understand that it takes time, but I'm simply saying that making the playoffs isn't exactly mission accomplished.

Making the playoffs is certainly the logical next step for the Whitecaps, but I hardly think calling it a historic achievement is necessary. They remain a bottom half team. I'm satisfied that they are improving, but I have much higher standards than you it seems, because I expect more than just a mid-table club. I understand that it takes time, but I'm simply saying that making the playoffs isn't exactly mission accomplished.

Very true. I expect the type of results we got in the first half of the year for the full season. We are demanding types and that is a good thing! A very good improvement over the first year but still a long ways to go.

Good luck today.

The Caps have to be salivating over this. With the Canucks finished for the time being, the Caps have an opportunity to capture the minds and imaginations of the whole city's populace.

I second this, the Caps need to make efforts to snap up any frustrated NHL fans who are willing to switch over due to the lockout. Some of those fans may switch back when the lockout is over, but it;s an opportunity they can't waste.

As a reference point, the Lions attendance went up 13% from 2003 to 2004, and 22% from 2004 to 2005, and I think a large portion of them stayed on.

I just finished watching the Caps lose to Portland. I don't see them doing anything should they make the playoffs.

Portland win Cascadia cup and now Montreal will be top Canadian MLS team with a victory next Saturday.

Are any heads going to roll?

I just finished watching the Caps lose to Portland. I don't see them doing anything should they make the playoffs.

Portland win Cascadia cup and now Montreal will be top Canadian MLS team with a victory next Saturday.

Are any heads going to roll?

Yea it is very sad to watch a team devolve into a punt and pray constant and I mean constant long ball team. Bad enough but then you keep your 2 fastest players on the bench for the first 60 minutes while an aging scot runs around? The 2 players who would give you a chance at making a long ball offense work not starting? Rennie give your head a shake. WTF?

Simply put Miller has to go. If he is back next season we will be back at the bottom. Rennie's constant playing of Miller ahead of Mattocks is just insane bias on his part. I hope someone in the Caps management sits him down and tells him so. Since the mid season changes we have sucked so bad losing to teams below us that we are now hoping for Seattle to beat Dallas so we can back into the playoffs.

Is it too late for the Caps to send Robson and Miller back?

Isn't an attacking midfielder supposed to be somewhat creative?

Isn't a striker supposed to have a nose for goal?

The only player we could get back in the off season is LeToux and I hope we do. Richards will be gone to Burnley and hopefully Miller will be gone as well. Robson just isn't a play making mid. He is a forward. Good left foot shot and zero play making skills.

2-1 for the sounders and they are firing this second half so we might make it yet. I can just hear Sigi's half time speech to his team "Do you guys want to face this Dallas bunch in the wild card game or do you want to play that sad sack bunch from Vancouver? So go out and score and win!"

Well done goals by Seattle. #2 & #3 are just clinical passing and finishing. Wow. That you Seattle. 3-1 for Seattle now. I am breathing much easier.

Thank you Seattle. We are in the playoffs so I have 2 more games to watch. RSL & LA. I don't have much hope for more than that unless Rennie comes to his senses and starts Mattocks and Richards because we are such a one dimensional long ball team that they and their speed are our only hope. If I see Miller starting then I know we are doomed to a one and out playoff run.

Over the last 9 games:

Vancouver:

1W 6L 2D - 5 Points

Dallas:

4W 2L 3D - 15 Points

Los Angeles (first round opponent)

5W 1L 3D - 18 Points

New England

2W 4L 3D - 9 Points

Toronto FC

0W 6L 3D - 3 Points

Portland

2W 3L 4D - 10 Points

The Whitecaps have backed into the playoffs. They will finish below .500, and in the bottom half of the league. They should have done so much better, given their fantastic start. Third least GF, fewest GF on the road, only playoff club with a negative goal difference, and fewer points than one(possibly two) Eastern non-playoff clubs.

But we've made the playoffs, so the club will use that to spin the season as a success. Save me the, "it's only their second season" nonsense, because this team has capitulated.

Here's a question: when do questions arise about Martin Rennie? Has he "lost the room" so to speak?

I think Rennie has lost the non-scot part of the room. I just can't see starting Miller ahead of Mattocks being justified. Blatant pig headed bias towards his scot players regardless of performance and results. Somebody from management better have a talk with Rennie.

I think Rennie has lost the non-scot part of the room. I just can't see starting Miller ahead of Mattocks being justified. Blatant pig headed bias towards his scot players regardless of performance and results. Somebody from management better have a talk with Rennie.

Yeah, I've been disgusted with Robson's attitude and Miller's performance. They have to be booted to the curb. Pure Cancers. I am fed up of watching both of them not play and just stand and complain.

Not to mention not starting Richards either who was in form from his INT performance with Jamaica.

Yeah, I've been disgusted with Robson's attitude and Miller's performance. They have to be booted to the curb. Pure Cancers. I am fed up of watching both of them not play and just stand and complain.

loved the part where Robson's freekick hits the wall, Portland goes on 4 on 2 break while Robson didn't even bother to try to track back

LA will murder Vancouver. Watching Vancouver is almost as bad as watching TFC

Archived