Whitecaps playoff push

RJB

Miller and Robson struggled again and the one time the connect Camilo gaffs the finish.

0-0 and needless points dropped, thankfully a spirited game in SJ ended 3-3 with Lenhart equalizing at the 90'.

If the 'Caps wanna get in the playoffs they will need to keep pace with a hungry and in form FCD.

Caps also lost Mattocks and Thorrington to apparent hamstring injuries in the first 45'.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miller and Robson struggled again and the one time the connect Camilo gaffs the finish.

0-0 and needless points dropped, thankfully a spirited game in SJ ended 3-3 with Lenhart equalizing at the 90'.

If the 'Caps wanna get in the playoffs they will need to keep pace with a hungry and in form FCD.

Caps also lost Mattocks and Thorrington to apparent hamstring injuries in the first 45'.

John Thorrington went a while without being injured, for John Thorrington.

A loss or draw on Wed and there will be no Fat Lady singing. They will be done. Even if they made the playoffs they lack so much confidence they would be out before the Fat Lady could even get to the Mic.

Agreed, we got so lucky last night in the San Jose vs Dallas game. If the caps can't take the bull by the horns next game they are done. Even if they make it, I don't expect them to do anything in the one off game against whomever.

Agreed, we got so lucky last night in the San Jose vs Dallas game. If the caps can't take the bull by the horns next game they are done. Even if they make it, I don't expect them to do anything in the one off game against whomever.

Camillo could have given them a boost ... if that goal had gone in they'd be 5pts up. Wow was that close. Inches away from 3pts.

If Lenhart doesn't score that goal, Dallas would already be holding the 5th and final playoff spot (due to tie-breakers).

I think if Vancouver doesn't beat Chivas on Wednesday they are done. I fully expect Dallas to get 6 points in their two games against Chivas.

Correct. We have to take max points off both Chivas and Portland. I fully expect Dallas to beat Chivas away and at home. Given the way Dallas played last night they are a threat to beat Seattle in Seattle as well.

9 points on the table, we lead by 2, all tie breaks belong to Dallas so we really lead by 1. 8 points dropped by Dallas or picked up by the Caps or any combo thereof, and we are in.

Mattocks injury will really set us back. He was hunting down the long balls and creating havoc with his quickness. Richards will be back from suspension so we will still have some speed options up top. Watson looked real good coming in for Thor so his injury shouldn't set us back as much.

Rochat as the Dmid in front of the defence was awesome last night. His up the middle passes to the feet of Caps players broke us out of our third repeatedly. Harvey looked okay at LB so expect the same on Wed.

The worst part for Caps fans has to be the fact that Miller and Robson are going to be back next year.

Both worked very very hard last night, I thought, but the fact that they cover so much terrain means that the positioning of the whole squad gets thrown off as a result. There were often huge chasms in midfield as a result of Robson (and Miller, even) tracking back so far that they were closer to being defenders than attacking players.

Both worked very very hard last night, I thought, but the fact that they cover so much terrain means that the positioning of the whole squad gets thrown off as a result. There were often huge chasms in midfield as a result of Robson (and Miller, even) tracking back so far that they were closer to being defenders than attacking players.

They can work as hard as they want. The bottom line seems to be the Caps haven't been very good since they've joined the team.

They can work as hard as they want. The bottom line seems to be the Caps haven't been very good since they've joined the team.

We have been playing route one soccer way too much. Last night we still did a lot of that but with Mattocks up top you can do that. Over the previous 5 games where we had Miller alone up top it was useless. Hopefully we keep playing the 4-4-2 because Miller needs a very quick partner up top to be effective. Mattocks is out so maybe Richards will be paired with him.

Working hard is only part of the game. I don't see anything in Robson or Miller that would lead me to give them DP slots and salary.

Camillo could have given them a boost ... if that goal had gone in they'd be 5pts up. Wow was that close. Inches away from 3pts.

That will probably be the worst miss of the current MLS season. Not only was the miss bad in itself, but the implications surrounding the Caps' season also plays a factor.

Anyhow, with Mattocks injured, Rennie should call on Tiebert to lead this team to the promise land.

Anyhow, with Mattocks injured, Rennie should call on Tiebert to lead this team to the promise land.

I think Caleb Clarke would be a better choice, but also a gigantic gamble. Taking relatively unproven kids like that in this kind of situation and throwing them to the wolves would be a bad idea. Especially since the fans and the media can be so vicious to the players when the team isn’t winning. It would be a gigantic blow to their confidence if they were put in a situation of expecting them to fill in for Mattocks if we lost.

I think that it looks like the team is finally starting to gel. Miller and Robson are fitting into the team than they had been. Knighton’s looking great (though I think that Cannon got thrown under the bus a bit.), Demerit and O’Brien are a great centre-back combination. Watching Matt Watson, I think he should be starting, not Thorrington. I think that Rochat should be playing left back instead of Jordan Harvey, Harvey looked the least solid out of anyone out there.

I think that’s less damning for Robson and Miller than the rest of the squad. There are a lot of great teams out there that play with that very flexible positioning, because it can be a great way to throw off or surprise the other side. I’m not sure if Rennie wants them playing that way, but if he does it’s a matter of having the rest of the squad knowing where to be when the Scots are out of their normal positions.

I think Caleb Clarke would be a better choice, but also a gigantic gamble. Taking relatively unproven kids like that in this kind of situation and throwing them to the wolves would be a bad idea. Especially since the fans and the media can be so vicious to the players when the team isn’t winning. It would be a gigantic blow to their confidence if they were put in a situation of expecting them to fill in for Mattocks if we lost.

I assume if they use Tiebert, the Caps would shift Camillo into the center of the park. This would make the most sense as the kid has already proven he can play out there. If not a start, he should be used as a 70'th minute sub.

Caps need to win the Portland game regardless of whether Dallas screws up against Chivas this weekend. Dallas could pick up 6 points between their Chivas home game and their game at Seattle. The Dallas vs Seattle game takes place after the Vancouver vs Portland game, so Vancouver will need to get a win.

Vancouver took care of business last night, crushing Chivas 4-0.

Still looks like they will need a win over Portland in a few weeks. Unless Dallas slips up in one of their two Chivas matches.

Caleb Clarke also got a run out. Even though he should have put him on 10 minutes earlier when Robson scored the fourth goal, Rennie did good there. However, the Caps did not look interested in going forward at that point considering Clarke only got the ball one time, and fumbled it badly probably due to nerves that one time.

Caps need to win the Portland game regardless of whether Dallas screws up against Chivas this weekend. Dallas could pick up 6 points between their Chivas home game and their game at Seattle. The Dallas vs Seattle game takes place after the Vancouver vs Portland game, so Vancouver will need to get a win.

Portland worries me because beating Vancouver gives them the Cascadia Cup. I know it’s meaningless but it gives their fans a little something for the season. They aren’t going to roll over like Chivas I think they have something to play for.

There’s little margin for error, Vancouver has to win the last two. If Dallas wins their final three and Vancouver drop points in any of the two remaining games the caps are toast.

Portland worries me because beating Vancouver gives them the Cascadia Cup. I know it’s meaningless but it gives their fans a little something for the season. They aren’t going to roll over like Chivas I think they have something to play for.

Portland may have nothing to play for by the time they get to Vancouver. It depends on how this weekend's Cascadia Cup clash with Seattle goes.

There’s little margin for error, Vancouver has to win the last two. If Dallas wins their final three and Vancouver drop points in any of the two remaining games the caps are toast.

No it is anything but meaningless to a team that is second last in the conf and 3rd/4th last in the league. It is the ONLY thing they have to play for. Portland are a proud bunch and like narduch said they will have a lot of loud travelling fans to play for. We need to beat them and get 3 points but it won't be easy. No way are they folding the tent and mailing it in. If anything they would love to deprive us of a playoff bearth.

You are dead on correct about the last 3 games. Whoever blinks first doesn't make the playoffs and given the way Dallas has played recently I'm not so sure the Flounders can take them even at home. Caps need to win 2 more and then to hell with FUD because what they do won't matter. Last game at RSL's home will be tough, beating the Timbers even at home will be tough.

That is good because WHEN we pull it off it will make us believe and play like we mean it in our playoff qualifier on the road.

Cheers

Dallas just did the unthinkable and dropped points to Chivas! 1-1 so in what should have been a gimme road win Dallas CHOKE, FAIL and drop 2 points to the second worst team in the whole league!!!! Yea ha!

So we are 4 points up with 2 games each left. They play Seattle next and JDG is out with his 5th yellow card. A loss in Seattle and Dallas are done. They need to win both their remaining games and hope the Caps get less than 3 points out of our remaining 2. Magic number for the Caps is 3 (2 but Dallas has all the tie breaks so we need 3).

Archived