Whitecaps playoff push

RJB

Cause Montreal had to play RSL, Seattle, LA and San Jose 3 times right? The west is superior overall to the east and Vancouver finished with more points.

Yes, that makes sense. It took more points to get into the East playoffs but the West is better. Don't get me wrong those 4 teams are class but the East isn't exactly bad with NY, Houston, KC..

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The East actually had a better record in head-to-head play. I also agree that the Caps were going to go down eventually, though we may have made it to penalties if Petrescu called fouls prior to the penalty.

Rennie's a smart guy and he'll make the right changes to move the club forward, including dumping the Scot DPs if he can find suitable replacements in the off season.

Why would he dump the Scot DPs? Imagine you were a Canadian manager in Scotland for hockey and you brought in two high priced Canadians... are you going to dump them? Hell no, he flipped his team for those two so he'd better pray they work out or it's probably gonna cost him his job.

Why would he dump the Scot DPs? Imagine you were a Canadian manager in Scotland for hockey and you brought in two high priced Canadians... are you going to dump them? Hell no, he flipped his team for those two so he'd better pray they work out or it's probably gonna cost him his job.

He might have a greater chance of keeping his job if he admits his mistakes, learns from them, and takes appropriate action. In this case it seems pretty clear that Miller is a bust and Robson is maybe passable at best ... not worth DP money IMHO (admittedly not an expert, but there it is FWIW).

Miller's strike rate:

2008 through 2011 with Rangers: 49 goals in 81 games. 0.6goals/game

2011 season with Bursaspor: 5 goals in 15 games. 0.33goals/game

2011 - 2012 with Cardiff City: 10 goals in 43 games. 0.23goals/game

2012 with the Whitecaps: 2 goals in 13 games. 0.15goals/game

Seems pretty telling to me.

It was a clear penalty. Sub him off and what does the useless Bonjour do? Puts an arm around Donovan... the ref had no choice from his vantage point... an arm went around Donovan and the experienced striker milked it. Bonjour is beyond useless anytime I've seen him.

Actually no it wasn't a clear penalty. Donovan's arm was in the same position, the only difference is Bonjour is bigger and stronger. Donovan didn't have the strength or position and knew it so he dove.

I agree I thought the ref did a fine job. I cheer for Vancouver but those soccer players on the Whitecaps are pretty hard to cheer for. Robson is a pathetic crybaby and not at all a good player. I liked Thorrington's passion but it got the better of him. Quit yelling at the ref and learn how to just play well. You could see when he made a decent cut back in LA's box and then made a pathetic dive the ref was in his head. They are a difficult team to cheer for and it almost would have been a crime if Vancouver advanced over LA.

Whitecaps giving up 70% possession seemed like a sure fire way to lose. Did they really believe they could advance or even try win the MLS Cup with this strategy? TFC and MTL played their last games on Sunday and Saturday, four days later Vancouver surrenders.

Actually no it wasn't a clear penalty. Donovan's arm was in the same position, the only difference is Bonjour is bigger and stronger. Donovan didn't have the strength or position and knew it so he dove.

Donovan was fouled, he sold the call. If he stayed up he wouldn't have won the call and won the game, harsh reality but the best players in the world do it and win matches. Bonjour knew he was beat so he tried to play the man... clumsily and in the end he clumsily lost the match for you. Agreed on the point of Robson and Thorrington being babies... Robson looked on the verge of tears at one point, embarrassing. If you wanna call out a dive call out your boy Thorrington. Pathetic.

Well it was a much better season than last year. Several points:

1) We played the only way that has worked for us this year. Total team defense and counter.

2) We really need to unload Miller & probably Robson. Neither is DP level.

3) Donovan dove. He is a wanker.

4) Thor should have fought through it but dove instead and didn't get the call or shot. Dumb.

5) The 2 conferences can't be compared due to it not being fully interlocking. Think of them as 2 different leagues like the NFL.

6) Mattocks is the real deal. Watson is looking better all the time. Knighton is definitely our new #1 keeper for a while.

7) Our defense played very well for most of the game.

8) San Jose and Kansas City are the best teams in the 2 leagues. Here is hoping they play each other in the MLS Cup.

Cheers to all and hopefully we see you in the playoffs next year as well.

Donovan was fouled, he sold the call. If he stayed up he wouldn't have won the call and won the game, harsh reality but the best players in the world do it and win matches. Bonjour knew he was beat so he tried to play the man... clumsily and in the end he clumsily lost the match for you. Agreed on the point of Robson and Thorrington being babies... Robson looked on the verge of tears at one point, embarrassing. If you wanna call out a dive call out your boy Thorrington. Pathetic.

Its the professional Mantra, "If your touched you go down".

Unless your name happens to be Fernado Torrez.

Just the fact that the argument about which team, Whitecaps or Impact, was the better outfit over the season now apparently boils down to who played better opostion, due to which conference system they were situated in, even when Columbus missed a playoff berth with more points than both of 'em shows how the schedule employed by the MLS does NA Soccer no favours at all.

Especially when you consider a balanced schedule could have been achieved with an addition three games.

(no more on this though as I'm starting to get a bit Robert on the Subject)

Still, Nice try Whitecaps.

Lost the match for me and my boy Thorrington? If you're saying I'm a biased Whitecaps fan you're off. I've been to more Galaxy home games than Caps and actually live farther from both than you do. I was flicking and saw the game was on so I watched it. Call it what you will, like I said to me it was a cheap flop. That may be moral or rational to you, it ain't to me.

It was a clear penalty. The Caps have no one to blame but themselves for last night, I've never seen so much undeserved whining about a ref. ESPECIALLY since he let Vancouver get away with a clear foul earlier. I was rooting for the caps but football won last night no question. DeMerit tried to be a hero and stay on injured instead of going down and time wasting, boom goal off the corner. Sub him off and what does the useless Bonjour do? Puts an arm around Donovan... the ref had no choice from his vantage point... an arm went around Donovan and the experienced striker milked it. Bonjour is beyond useless anytime I've seen him.

LA was ****e otherwise they would have buried Vancouver last night. Gotta say, I was impressed with Watson and Mattocks. Miller and Robson are useless... Miller would have done well to finish that chance which was tougher than it looked but Robson botched it completely.

The Caps are going to find it really hard to make the playoffs next season, they were lucky to be in the West this year. The best Canadian club in MLS was/is Montreal.

Even though I agree with most of what you say, I have to say that was not a penalty. It was super soft. I think the ref just gave into pressure from the first half when Donovon got his legs tangled with O Brian in the box. Even that one wasn't a penalty. Donovan is a little bitch...that is all.

Regardless of the result I really enjoyed last night's game, much better quality than the Chicago-Houston match on Wednesday night. Thought Vancouver looked significantly better with Mattocks who put way more pressure on the Galaxy back four. I also agree with the sentiment that Robson was the laziest (or least fit) midfielder on the pitch last night, especially with Koffie, Rochat, Watson etc. running their asses off.

Really hope Vancouver manages to build on this season and starts to incorporate guys like Teibert from their reserve/academy team instead of just sitting on what is at best an average-MLS squad.

My thoughts:

1. For those piling on the Caps for the lack of possession and sitting back, what did you expect? They were playing a superior team away from home. I had no issues with the strategy after going up 1-0, and it might have worked if not for a SICK strike by Mike Magee.

2. The call on Donovan could have gone either way. The issue I have is the way the match was called up to that point. All players and fans ask of officials is for consistency. Some are more strict, some are more flexible. But, you must be consistent throughout the course of the game. Up to that point in the match, that same play was not a foul.

3. I had a better left foot in U14 than Robson has right peg now. Embarrassing and he and his whining can go home. I'm one of the few that like Miller more than Robson ... note that the term "like" is used loosely here.

4. Thorrington should be ashamed.

5. Demerit and Knighton played lights out. Gargantuan performances and you have to feel for the guys.

6. Best Canadian club right now? Is that a title that anyone wants? Fastest turtle. I give the Whitecaps and the Impact passes due to expansion youth. TFC comes in a distant 3rd.

I’d rather a manager who can admit his mistakes and move on than go into next season with Robson and Miller on the team. I would fire Rennie if he planned to keep these two next year, it’s clear they didn’t work out and I don’t think we can make the playoffs next year with these two. Rennie had no problem dumping Jarju, but that was an easy decision because it wasn’t his decision to sign him.

I’ve been hard on Rennie for the team’s failures in the second half, but every manager makes mistakes. If Rennie can recognize his mistakes and move on, that’s proof he is a competent manager.

Is it too early to talk about next season? Haha

Gotta give lots of props to ex-USLer Watson out there. Set up the first goal, made a nice move and shot to force Saunders into a rebound leading to the TSN Turning Point miss by Miller and then Robson (Prompting Chief Wiggum from The Simpsons to say, "That's nice DP work, boys!"), but his best play was after he got tackled off the dribble and knocked down, but then hustled his ass off to make a recovery tackle to win the ball back. Lots of heart there.

Archived