Whitecaps playoff push

RJB

loved the part where Robson's freekick hits the wall, Portland goes on 4 on 2 break while Robson didn't even bother to try to track back

LA will murder Vancouver. Watching Vancouver is almost as bad as watching TFC

Brutal decision to try for a direct shot at goal from that far out.

WTF. Portland's first Road Win.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robson blah blah blah.. Miller blah blah blah.

Camillo was the worst Cap on the pitch tonight. Back to his selfish trying to do it all ways.

You were watching a different game than me then. He was our only threat and was caught a few times dribbling too long but played a good game. Worst Cap on the pitch? Hardly. Miller did next to nothing, Robson didn't track back and let 4 on 2 attacks happen. I seriously hope we get LeToux back for next year. He's a free agent at the end of this season. More than any other skill he inspired his teammates to work hard. He would never have stood there and let a 4 on 2 develop like Robson did. He'd have run his ass off to get back and help the defense.

You were watching a different game than me then. He was our only threat and was caught a few times dribbling too long but played a good game. Worst Cap on the pitch? Hardly. Miller did next to nothing, Robson didn't track back and let 4 on 2 attacks happen. I seriously hope we get LeToux back for next year. He's a free agent at the end of this season. More than any other skill he inspired his teammates to work hard. He would never have stood there and let a 4 on 2 develop like Robson did. He'd have run his ass off to get back and help the defense.

Agreed 100%.

If nothing else, at least Camilo made himself annoying to defend against. Didn't win his 1v1 battles but you could see he was busting his ass to get into good positions off the ball and working hard to pressure up high. Miller did absolutely nothing of value for 90 minutes... on a team with no shortage of attacking talent he should be picking the splinters out of his ass from the bench.

I think Rennie has lost the non-scot part of the room. I just can't see starting Miller ahead of Mattocks being justified. Blatant pig headed bias towards his scot players regardless of performance and results. Somebody from management better have a talk with Rennie.

I can imagine. Robson was useless for the most part yesterday. I think both Scots should be dropped for the Jamaicans or 1 Jamaican and possibly Tiebert. Paul Mariner probably has the same bias with Eckersly and Dunfield (who has an English accent).

Those who complain about Camilo are the same who yell to their kids "kick it away" when they are playing a game. And then they are happy when they do. There are really only a few real talents on the team, talents meaning they are being held back and cannot realize their potential under the dinosaur of a coach we have. Camillo is the clearest and most obvious, constantly killed by poor tactics and being forced to do the wrong thing in the wrong place. BTW, that was a penalty they committed against him, clear as day, the defender totally ignored the ball and brought him down.

I also think that Koffie has way more potential but since the football ideas of Rennie are so limited he'll have to go elsewhere to prove his.

I also think that Koffie has way more potential but since the football ideas of Rennie are so limited he'll have to go elsewhere to prove his.

I fear this. Koffie is the jewel of the young crop of players in my opinion, and to lose him would be a blow, though I expect he would climb up the footballing ladder, and not to another MLS club. Am I wrong to think that he could earn himself a senior cap for Ghana in the near future?

I fear this. Koffie is the jewel of the young crop of players in my opinion, and to lose him would be a blow, though I expect he would climb up the footballing ladder, and not to another MLS club. Am I wrong to think that he could earn himself a senior cap for Ghana in the near future?

I'm hoping he stays with the Caps. He is just so good at out positioning other players when jostling for the ball.

He has played for their U23 side but they are very deep at the DM position. He might not ... hello CSA we have someone you should talk to! :)

I posted in the naturalization thread that Koffie already played for Ghana so under FIFA rules he could only play for another country if he was eligible to play for them at the time he suited up for Ghana. So we can forget about Koffie ever playing for Canada.

6 points from a possible 30 in their final 10 games. LA has 18 from their last 27, with a game tomorrow.

Did you honestly expect them to continue their first half pace? That would have given them somewhere around 55 points which is more than LA can possibly have. From dead last and 28 points, 55 the next year is a stretch. 43 is a solid turnaround. Yes they may have sputtered but they are obviously going in the right direction.

Did you honestly expect them to continue their first half pace? That would have given them somewhere around 55 points which is more than LA can possibly have. From dead last and 28 points, 55 the next year is a stretch. 43 is a solid turnaround. Yes they may have sputtered but they are obviously going in the right direction.

Considering the nature of MLS and the roster movement within, I don’t buy the ‘right direction’ argument. Unlike other franchised sports in North America MLS doesn’t have a monopoly on talent and building with youth is compromised because another team can sign the player for money. If someone offered 5-10million for Koffie tomorrow Vancouver will take it and there goes a huge piece of our ‘building’.

There is so much talent in the world that ‘building’ is a foolish concept, with proper scouting a team can find the players it needs to be successful (not easy of course but doable). The Red Bulls went from worst to third in MLS in one season (granted they got Henry), Seattle has been one of the best teams in MLS since it joined etc.

Yes I am disappointed with the Whitecaps because the roster moves they made failed to make the team better and made them worse. The biggest issue I saw was last night, the Caps didn’t look at all worse without Robson or Miller in the lineup, two of their top paid players. Rennie took a team that worked, made it dysfunctional and now the caps are puttering into the playoffs. If we take this same team into next year we aren’t making the playoffs

Yes I am disappointed with the Whitecaps because the roster moves they made failed to make the team better and made them worse. The biggest issue I saw was last night, the Caps didn’t look at all worse without Robson or Miller in the lineup, two of their top paid players. Rennie took a team that worked, made it dysfunctional and now the caps are puttering into the playoffs. If we take this same team into next year we aren’t making the playoffs

The after game interviews with the coach and players was very interesting. All mentioned that they "got back to doing what they did at the start of the season". Namely total team defense and try to hit on the counter. I think Rennie knew that the Caps would have trouble scoring goals and playing his 4-5-1 fanatically does help weaker teams get results.

For the whole year the Caps were near the bottom in all offensive stats but were 3rd/4th in shutouts. Our chances at the other teams' net was the same for both halves and our goals for was 19 and 16. We gave up 60+ more chances at our net than we had at the other teams' net. If we can generate some more and not weaken our total team defense in the process we will do better next year.

The mid season changes didn't help. I was pleasantly surprised that both Robson and Miller were not starting. Dane and Darren up top is the type of speed and player you need to make a 4-5-1 work on the counter. Miller isn't. Here is hoping we play D & D up top against LA and leave Miller on the bench.

Considering the nature of MLS and the roster movement within, I don’t buy the ‘right direction’ argument. Unlike other franchised sports in North America MLS doesn’t have a monopoly on talent and building with youth is compromised because another team can sign the player for money. If someone offered 5-10million for Koffie tomorrow Vancouver will take it and there goes a huge piece of our ‘building’.

There is so much talent in the world that ‘building’ is a foolish concept, with proper scouting a team can find the players it needs to be successful (not easy of course but doable). The Red Bulls went from worst to third in MLS in one season (granted they got Henry), Seattle has been one of the best teams in MLS since it joined etc.

I see where you're coming from (see San Jose) but I think it's a lot more difficult than you think. Even after all the favouritism and money LA only won its first cup with golden boy last year and it still only finished fourth in the conference this year. TFC with all its money can't get it's **** together. Portland seemed to have it right last year took a step back this year. A soccer team needs a lot of chemistry and depth and it it takes a while to build it and get it right. This year the Whitecaps took huge strides defensively and it showed but we are exactly at the same number of goals as last year. Still I think that this years Caps would beats last years Caps 8 times out of 10.

I thought Rennie's analysis of why the Caps fell flat was fair enough. He said that they lost their way of doing things after getting good results, started trying to take more on and play better, I can accept that. He had the team set up for the counter and a tight defence and that was how it worked best, hard knocks at the back and the odd goal up front.

Rennie forgot to mention that he, like the Caps whole FO last year, forgot how long the season is. Which is not too long compared to anywhere else, but still. You get the sense with last year and this that they only really want to play a four month season, they are yet to get their heads into the full season. So he makes huge changes mid-season, takes apart the team, redoes things entirely, when rarely would you see half that movement in a Xmas signing period where Rennie is from. The rest of the world puts together a roster and goes with it 90% for the full season. That is part of actually knowing what you are looking for an not doing in game experiments.

I am glad I saw our win vs. San José amongst the few games I saw this year at home, that was the right way: solid defending, tough in all parts of the field, a bit of luck.

Tonight's game is a Cup game, and so anything can happen. As long as it's not used to disguise the very poor finish, and the fact that we are a bottom half, sub .500 club at this point, I'm fine with it. No matter what happens during MLS Cup, the Whitecaps have a ways to go.

^Worked pretty well. Shame Miller couldn't hit the side of a barn door and the ref's a ****.

As usual Steve Sandor has some astute observations:

http://the11.ca/2012/11/02/whitecaps-nasl-grads-outplay-dps-in-playoff-loss-to-galaxy/

In all seriousness, how does a career striker miss the frame from that position? The Caps played a game to be fairly proud of and to make the playoffs in your 2nd season is an accomplishment but there needs to be a few lessons learned (and appropriate personnel changes made) before next season.

It was a clear penalty. The Caps have no one to blame but themselves for last night, I've never seen so much undeserved whining about a ref. ESPECIALLY since he let Vancouver get away with a clear foul earlier. I was rooting for the caps but football won last night no question. DeMerit tried to be a hero and stay on injured instead of going down and time wasting, boom goal off the corner. Sub him off and what does the useless Bonjour do? Puts an arm around Donovan... the ref had no choice from his vantage point... an arm went around Donovan and the experienced striker milked it. Bonjour is beyond useless anytime I've seen him.

LA was ****e otherwise they would have buried Vancouver last night. Gotta say, I was impressed with Watson and Mattocks. Miller and Robson are useless... Miller would have done well to finish that chance which was tougher than it looked but Robson botched it completely.

The Caps are going to find it really hard to make the playoffs next season, they were lucky to be in the West this year. The best Canadian club in MLS was/is Montreal.

The Caps are going to find it really hard to make the playoffs next season, they were lucky to be in the West this year. The best Canadian club in MLS was/is Montreal.

Cause Montreal had to play RSL, Seattle, LA and San Jose 3 times right? The west is superior overall to the east and Vancouver finished with more points.

The East actually had a better record in head-to-head play. I also agree that the Caps were going to go down eventually, though we may have made it to penalties if Petrescu called fouls prior to the penalty.

Rennie's a smart guy and he'll make the right changes to move the club forward, including dumping the Scot DPs if he can find suitable replacements in the off season.

Archived