Cuba-Canada in game thread (R)

Free kick

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

canada seemed to immediately play as though their backs were against the wall after red, and I don't feel they needed to. They were capable of holding some possession despite being ten-men.

Still, they showed some good signs and it's a good positive start.

Simeon did actually play really well up front to close it out.

What an awesome result. This is the type of fixture I'd expect us to trip up on in the past
Exactly. they played to a game plan and got the result by being smart. Oh, and Edgar's chip into the box was fantastic, followed by a class header for the big man. Nice to see what Atiba can do out there, too. these boys need to get the IV going fast, and let's hope Occean and Hutch are good to go for Tuesday. Honduras will be very tough.

We should end the round right now, we would be first place in the group :)

In all seriousness great to get 3 points thats all that matters. Hopefully it will be a draw between panama and Honduras but if not, who would you rather want to win?

If not a draw definitely Honduras

What a relief to get the result. I feel pretty good about what they are doing on the pitch. They are doing a lot of the little things right, including not conceding anything right after they scored, and good game management at the end. Besides the goal, my next favourite moment was when Johnson went after the Cuban defender and made him give up the corner. That was fantastic.

I am a huge Lars supporter, but I don't think anyone can really defend what he did there. I'm just glad it didn't cost us in the end. Borjan looked good, and there is no controversy over who gets the start on Tuesday as Lars is suspended.

I don't think I've seen DeRo more motivated than he is during this current qualifying cycle. I think he could be good for a goal on Tuesday. Edgar is so solid out there right now. Occean did what we need him to do, score when we get a chance. Jackson did great in a sub role. Besides Lars, I can't think of anyone who didn't do well in this game.

Looking forward to Tuesday...

Jason

We almost shot ourselves in the foot again, but thankfully it looks like this group has the mental toughness that past groups didn't. Guys like Will Johnson working their asses off til the end, Edgar, Borjan and McKenna being vocal at the back...Occean looking like he could be the finisher we need up top (please be the next Gerba).

The only thing i'd like to see is those damn AM's/Wingers/Support attackers pinching in more. Still saw DeRo and Ricketts out at the touchline way too much. Other than that, well, 3 points baby!

One of the players I have been most happy with is Edgar. In the U20s a few years ago, he was hyped up, but then our whole team underperformed. Recently though, he has impressed me with his composure in each outing. Glad to see some of the next generation really upping their game.

We almost shot ourselves in the foot again, but thankfully it looks like this group has the mental toughness that past groups didn't. Guys like Will Johnson working their asses off til the end, Edgar, Borjan and McKenna being vocal at the back...Occean looking like he could be the finisher we need up top (please be the next Gerba).

The only thing i'd like to see is those damn AM's/Wingers/Support attackers pinching in more. Still saw DeRo and Ricketts out at the touchline way too much. Other than that, well, 3 points baby!

The good thing about OO is that if he can have the goal scoring touch that we've been missing since Gerba has bee out of the loop he also brings more hold up play as a natural target man which is what this system is designed around.

Nothing confirmed yet, but he was indeed holding his hamstring and limped onto the field after the game. Maybe it was just cramping from dehydration. The big guys suffer most in these conditions. At least I am hoping it is a cramp and not a tear.

Archived