Canadians abroad: February 3-9, 2012

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 3-9, 2012.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joseph Di Chiara will surprisingly start the game for Krylia Sovetov when they will play against Dinamo Kiev at Marbella Cup 2012.

looks like no video streaming for the game :(

Joseph Di Chiara will surprisingly start the game for Krylia Sovetov when they will play against Dinamo Kiev at Marbella Cup 2012.

Tosaint Ricketts played 73 minutes today in that very same tournament as FC Timisoara got shellacked 5-0 by Lech Poznan.

Jackson is having a cracker of a game from what I've been seeing. Made a run into the area on keeper after burning a defender (failed to score) then couple minutes later set up the goal. Commentators raving about him:

"It's all about Jackson here"

Edit: Just got subbed out in the 74th minute.

It kind of pisses me off how little respect Jackson gets in Norwich (from mgmt) for how much he provides in limited minutes. Plays a major role in setting up the winning goal, having a great game and gets pulled out immediately after the goal - not even for a defender but for another striker?

It kind of pisses me off how little respect Jackson gets in Norwich (from mgmt) for how much he provides in limited minutes.
It seems to me the fact that he got the start shows that management rates him pretty high since Norwich is deep up front (from what I hear everyone say). We'll have to see if he gets the start next game, that will be the real telling factor.

It kind of pisses me off how little respect Jackson gets in Norwich (from mgmt) for how much he provides in limited minutes. Plays a major role in setting up the winning goal, having a great game and gets pulled out immediately after the goal - not even for a defender but for another striker?

Well. I think that the post game analysis on soccer central summed it up well. He can do a lot of good things out there, just as we have seen from him on a number of occasion playing for canada on the senior side or as a U20, but its yet to be seen if he can score regularly to be a fwd. I too dont understand why he doesnt get more playing time but i'll bet that if he had more of killer instinct around the box, they would not be able to put him on the bench.

It's nice that he got a start, but I think it's his 3rd or 4th all year. With strikers, if you don't give them a run of 5 games or so to get some confidence going, you don't see their best most consistent play. Between the number of cup dates he's given them and really their whole premiership season which wouldn't have happened without him, he deserves more of a chance, especially given that he has got 4 goals this year as basically a sub.

They have alot of forward depth but the guys are hardly world beaters, guys like Lee Martin and Steve Morrison who might grab 10 goals in the premier league in a good season if you let them take penalties. Holt is OK, but he's old (just turning 31). Would really like to see him get a prolonged chance to produce at this level, and I think he's earned it.

Hopefully you're right and he gets the next start too.

I disagree slightly. If you watched his early appearances in the EPL, he was not playing at the same pace as the rest of his team. He looked just not strong enough. But I think that's how it always is for him. He sort of feels things out, and works his way up to the level he needs to be at.

I'm actually glad he was put on the wing. It shows that his ability to play at the EPL level is there, and it means possibly more playing time, since he seems to have done well. Wish I'd gotten out of bed to watch the game.

And to the people making comments about his instinct in front of goal... I disagree entirely. He has a great ability to sniff out chances, from all sorts of situations, e.g. his goal against WBA this past week. If that isn't killer instinct, to strip the defender, and score, I don't know what is. If you look at most of his goals I think you should agree!!

While they showed Jackson on the RW in the pre-game, I am pretty sure he was playing as a striker next to Holt in a 4-4-2. He certainly spent alot of time as furthest player up the field and on the left to have been playing right midfield. I also get the sense that he has cemented himself as the 3rd striker (behind Holt and Morrison), and with Norwich still in the FA cup, I expect him to get more playing time going forward. This was a very good match for him, and more like it will continue to get him more time on the pitch and more starts.

Was just going to mention that. They are playing him on the right siden of MF in a 4-4-1-1 formation

I only saw the second half but unless there was a tactical shift after the break it looked like he was playing a whole lot more centrally in conjunction but running off the ball into wide positions.

As for the lack of killer instinct, the one nitpick thing I have notice is his lack of confidence in his left foot finishing. I saw a first half highlight where he went down the left but screwed his left footed effort comfortably (for the keeper!) wide of the far post and then in the second half when he turned Wheater and broke in on the left before getting closed down he opted for a fancier right foot-curl-to-the-far post attempt which turned into a far too tame effort. During the WCQ in Toronto I remembered him having a couple of similar chances down the left (one in which tried to use the outside of his right foot to bend the ball around the keeper at the near post, even a tough task for Zico in his heyday!) and made of a hash of it. Obviously, easy for me to say from my armchair!!;)

From what I saw of him in the second half I thought he did really well so I hope he maintains a string of starts.

Both sides of this Jackson debate are being quite harsh. Lambert obviously loves him, just look at the reception he got when he came off today. Holt and Morrison has been two of the premier league's better strikers this season. The fact that Simeon has come up to 3rd choice says a lot. He's scored 4 goals in all competitions in very limited minutes and looks like he'll play a lot more in the second half of the season. He's still only 24, which is 4 years younger than when Radzinski made his EPL debut. Norwich look safe as houses now, so my only concern is that I haven't heard of a new contract as of yet. My understanding is that his current deal expires June 30.

Another side of the discussion that needs to be mentioned is this was a player who wasn't even a starter at the Championship level last season for most of the year. His run late last season was awesome, but I was actually annoyed when he was able to get Norwich promoted, I thought for sure he wouldn't be able to step up. I'm just thrilled he has been able to prove me completely wrong (even if it is taking a bit of time for the results/starts to come)!

Great game for Jackson today. Between this and his last start in the FA cup he has defineitly given Lambert a lot to think about whne it come to teams selection

Steve Morrison who might grab 10 goals in the premier league in a good season if you let them take penalties. Holt is OK, but he's old (just turning 31).

In all fairness to these two, they both already have 9 goals and have been getting rave reviews for their play. They have definitely earned their spot. The one this that Jackson has going for him, is that he offer something different in playing style. As he showed today, he can use his pace to get pass defenders and also set up goals. Hopefully with the FA cup, they can go on a bit of a run and Jackson can get more playing time.

Archived