Montreal MLS roster discussion

They are going to see what they get from expansion draft? Chances are especially for strikers there isn't much...who knows maybe see him in camp in Jan? Weird situation...

Are referring to Gerba? Marsch's interesting Q&A on MLS.com he states that they were specifically looking at forwards in South America. Yes they obviously didn't keep Gerba because they are looking to bring in better strikers than that, from foreign leagues and/or from the drafts. We won't see him in camp, he has been released. He complained in the radio yesterday about his treatment but came across a little one-sided IMO. Marsch mentions in the MLS.com interview that there was no hidden conspiracy from above, he simply didn't have Gerba in the plans.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So assuming the 3 Canadian players rule is still in place next season, which players do you see/want filling those slots?

Patrice Bernier-What's his contract situation? Can he get out of it by the start of the MLS season?

Mozzi Gyorio- Really impressed me last season. Skillful young player, great passer and is dangerous at set-pieces

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault- Canadian international, apparently doing well for his team.

One of the FC Edmonton standouts last season- You would assume Porter, Hamilton and Saiko would have some options this off-season.

So assuming the 3 Canadian players rule is still in place next season, which players do you see/want filling those slots?

Patrice Bernier-What's his contract situation? Can he get out of it by the start of the MLS season?

Mozzi Gyorio- Really impressed me last season. Skillful young player, great passer and is dangerous at set-pieces

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault- Canadian international, apparently doing well for his team.

One of the FC Edmonton standouts last season- You would assume Porter, Hamilton and Saiko would have some options this off-season.

First of all I think we all hope they aren't shooting only for the bare minimum.

I think most fans are hoping Simon Gatti will be there as a very useful utility bench player, and also Sebrango should be given a 1-year deal to come on as a late sub and poach some goals... he really a sort of talismanic figure for the club. Throw in Ilcu who is the most promising youth player and there you have your bare minimum.

By all accounts Bernier only signed until January on purpose after having spoken with the Impact so that looks cautiously positive.

I'd love to see a Canadian DP like Simpson but I really don't think that's in the cards.

Jesse Marsch really liked what he saw of Sebrango, a true pro. I'd like to see him as a sub with us.

Same for Gatti he would probably be cheap and he can play anywhere on the field. A major plus is that he speaks french.

Some kids like Ilcu, Ouimette and Crépeau are probably going to get a chance.

After that Bernier is a real possibility. Just from what he was saying earlier this summer, and the fact that he is at the right age to come back home and that he has a young kid I really believe he is ready to come back. The only thing is that you have to offer him the good conditions.

Maybe Issey too? I thought he is only signed until January 2012 so like Bernier the timing would be right. I wouldn't mind seeing Issey with a Canadian team in the MLS. He's a decent attacker and like someone a couple pages back mentioned, there are not usually quality attackers unprotected in the expansion draft (unless they have large contracts that would make an expansion team think twice).

^

I just for the life of me can't understand why Issey is way down south and not in MLS. I can't.

Think he's built for the league, both physically and in style, is fairly affordable, and going forward at least could offer a more-than-fair improvement for many MLS sides.

Get his fleet feet and attacking mind up here.

No idea why Issey isn't playing in MLS. Going to MLS would be a step up from the A-League and about equal to his time in the Danish Superliga. I guess he has fallen off the map with MLS clubs. Also I know Iain Hume isn't playing at the highest level these days in League One, but I would target him. These are not splashy foreign signings, but I would like to see fringe national team players at least play in Canada once during their careers. Or older players like Stalteri finish their careers here.

Also Luca Toni, Filippo Inzaghi, and Alessandro Del Piero have all hinted they could be interested in MLS with Montreal being the most mentioned place. Frankly, all are washed up. Let the Middle East be their retirement home for one last cash grab. Although Toni might have a little left in the tank.

No idea why Issey isn't playing in MLS. Going to MLS would be a step up from the A-League and about equal to his time in the Danish Superliga. I guess he has fallen off the map with MLS clubs. Also I know Iain Hume isn't playing at the highest level these days in League One, but I would target him. These are not splashy foreign signings, but I would like to see fringe national team players at least play in Canada once during their careers. Or older players like Stalteri finish their careers here.

I find the Issey situation totally bizarre too.

Also Luca Toni, Filippo Inzaghi, and Alessandro Del Piero have all hinted they could be interested in MLS with Montreal being the most mentioned place. Frankly, all are washed up. Let the Middle East be their retirement home for one last cash grab. Although Toni might have a little left in the tank.

Out of all those big name rumors, yes Toni is the only one I'd be a little interested in... and Crespo, which is ironic since he's probably the oldest out of all of them but I've always liked him. Inzaghi I've always hated even in his prime, rat-faced little faker and penalty poacher.

^ Issey was born in Calgary, but spent almost all of his childhood in Japan and England before playing pro in Singapore and then Europe. I don't think the draw of MLS as as sort of 'homecoming' would be the same for him, as I very much doubt he considers this country to be any sort of home for him.

^ Issey was born in Calgary, but spent almost all of his childhood in Japan and England before playing pro in Singapore and then Europe. I don't think the draw of MLS as as sort of 'homecoming' would be the same for him, as I very much doubt he considers this country to be any sort of home for him.

That is probably correct and his brother is playing in Hong Kong and possibly his parents still live in Japan so playing in Australia may put him much nearer to his family than playing in North America or Europe would. On the other hand he seems to have been willing to move where he has to in order to further his career so one would have to think he would be interested if he got a decent offer from MLS.

That is probably correct and his brother is playing in Hong Kong and possibly his parents still live in Japan so playing in Australia may put him much nearer to his family than playing in North America or Europe would. On the other hand he seems to have been willing to move where he has to in order to further his career so one would have to think he would be interested if he got a decent offer from MLS.

+1

I just think he'd be a good fit in the MLS, particularly with a Canadian Team !!!

I hope the Impact are looking to take advantage of the 23 and under and 20 and under rule for DPs next year. I don't think the Impact need a big name to draw. I'd rather them sign young national team quality players from Central or South America that have hunger. Players who have the ability to play on good European clubs in the future, but you can get a few years out of. Or at worst sell for good money in a year. Players like Anthony Lozano of Honduras, Rodolfo Zelaya of El Salvador, or Marco Urena of Costa Rica. There is also a lot of good talent in South America that might not be available for a 80k to 200k slot. But with the DP slot, you can attract them by offering them more than they could even get in Europe. You can then spend a lot more money on the rest of your roster.

Again, it comes down to how good the Impact's scouting is.

I hope the Impact are looking to take advantage of the 23 and under and 20 and under rule for DPs next year. I don't think the Impact need a big name to draw. I'd rather them sign young national team quality players from Central or South America that have hunger. Players who have the ability to play on good European clubs in the future, but you can get a few years out of. Or at worst sell for good money in a year. Players like Anthony Lozano of Honduras, Rodolfo Zelaya of El Salvador, or Marco Urena of Costa Rica. There is also a lot of good talent in South America that might not be available for a 80k to 200k slot. But with the DP slot, you can attract them by offering them more than they could even get in Europe. You can then spend a lot more money on the rest of your roster.

Again, it comes down to how good the Impact's scouting is.

There are some (probably BS) rumors kicking around about Kennedy Igboananike. He had 15 goals in 57 appearances for Djugarden and is only 22. At one point he scored 30 in 50 games in the Swedish 3rd division.

I think his father, and possibly both his parents, are in Canada. It might be more home that people imagine:

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/kitpublishing

http://upwardgravity.wordpress.com/about/I

I maintain that he would have been (and still might one day be) a great MLS player.

Did the Impact really turn down over 700k for Ali Gerba from a Turkish team last year? That is what he says. Honestly, he seems delusional. He also thinks he still has a contract with the Impact for next year. And that he has the option of returning to Toronto. Despite the fact I don't think they want anything to do with him. He scored 1 in 11 games and was a headache in 2009.

I think the Impact just didn't think he could play in MLS and would be a poor reserve forward. Sebrango is a perfect guy to substitute and you'd be better off using your roster spots for younger strikers.

I really hope Montreal makes an effort to sign Stalteri (at a reasonable salary for you guys obviously) at this point he needs to swallow his pride and sign for someone in MLS... we actually do miss him on the national team now.

That would be a great move. I think that so many of our national team spends so much time aboard that they lose sight of helping develop the game here.

IIRC, most IMFC did not want Stalteri on the team. personally, I'm not sure if he has anything left in him.

Yes it's an extremely unpopular idea on the fan forum. I think I'd do it, but I doubt he'd start much so from a Voyageur perspective it doesn't really make sense, plus he'd probably be expensive. You may not get burned with skill much in the MLS but an older defender will be burned on pace.

I like Stalteri a lot but I don't think he would be a good signing for Montreal. He was always a player who got by on athletic ability and effort not skill. He also was an iron man for years and played every game and was never injured. In recent years he has had a plethora of injuries and at 34 must be starting to slow down though it is hard to say since he has hardly played for the last couple of years. He is a player who relied on his physique and once the body of such a player gives out their effectiveness will decline rapidly. At a certain salary level it might be worth taking a chance on him but I doubt he will want to play at that salary level, ie. $70 or 80 k.

Archived