2012 CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying 19-29 January 2012

paul-collins

Morgan is fast but without that through ball to her (that lead to that goal by Wambach) that goal doesnt happen. And there was a good flicked header that resulting in one of her goals. The irony here is that, at the last world cup, it was the americans who looked to be all about athleticism. Especially in that semi final when they played France.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with Free kick first touch and rapid ball movement is what ultimately created the gap between Canada and the US. The Americans' simply did everything a little faster and crisper. It was obvious watching them right from game one that their touch was superior to Canada's.

While there were a few tactical errors from the back line, they can't wear the loss. The loss was about American plays building, not just foot races or tactical errors. Bringing Wilkinson in, definitely helped in the second half. Gayle seemed a bit frozen at times.

I have to say that my favorite moment in the game is when new Canadian Sesselman sent new American Sydney Leroux on her butt out of touch and won the ball.

My player of the match has to be Scott again. She only gets better every game, once again she pulled the rabbit out of the hat more than once.

Looking forward to seeing the team evolve in the months leading to the Olympics.

Really hard game to watch after the Mexico game, but probably good for everyone to reground the expectations. A lot of talk about rebounding and improving since that French match, but the players are the same and not about to change I would guess. Our crosses, first touch, speed, everything are below the top teams.

I do not think this was our strongest team that we could have fielded, perhaps the two day gap was the problem. I hope so as otherwise Herdman has to be questioned (Molinaro does a fine job of that over at sportsnet). The success of this team will come down to how Herdman lines them up, these players we have are good enough to compete against any in this world, but they clearly can't go out and defeat the top teams. I hope Herdman doesn't lie about that and plays the tactics accordingly next time.

Of this tourney, I only saw the Mexico match from the 35th minute on and then this final so I'll just mention the positives which were qualification for London (obviously, first and foremost), the play of Sinclair, and the performance of Scott in the ball winning role: I was quite impressed with her quickness into the challenge and physical (but legal) play.

It's clear there's a lot of work in progress but as noted by lovetoplay I'm also curious to see how the squad will evolve (great word choice, btw).

I think player management is going to be one of the things Herdman will have to work on with the squad - to get the bench up to strength to win the easier games while preserving the wind and legs of the pivotal players for the top games.

It's clear to me that the Canadians were not as strong yesterday as they were on Friday; part of that is that the US is such a class team, and their "must win game" was on Tuesday rather than Friday, so they were able to not play everyone for the full 90 on Friday (Morgan's pace being in part due to the management of her energy expenditure). The other part was that our ladies *had* to leave it all out on the field on Friday, against a good (and improving) Mexico side.

On any given match day, the Canadians can pull a rabbit out and play with the Americans, if everything goes our way. (This is not to say I think they are equal on paper - just that it can be done.) BUT - the Americans will win in a tournament setting as you go deeper into it because we don't have the reservoir of energy and talent that they do. At least, not yet, and perhaps we never will.

LeRoux at least is still devoting her energies to growing the game in North America, which has spinoff benefits to soccer here.

If you ask Leroux I bet her favourite player growing up was Mia Hamm. And I get you soon we will have lots of Canadian girls whose favourite player is Sydney Leroux.

The cycle continues.

If you ask Leroux I bet her favourite player growing up was Mia Hamm. And I get you soon we will have lots of Canadian girls whose favourite player is Sydney Leroux.

The cycle continues.

The NY Times article makes it clear that she wanted to play with both Mia Hamm and the best team in the world.

One thing that did strike me throughout this tourney, even against Cuba when we failed to pad to our lead in the 2nd half with Sinclair subbed off, is how over-reliant this team is on Sinclair. The US marked her out of the game and by comparison they had an array of weapons they could deploy against us. Case in point Alex Morgan wasn't even starting for them in this tourney that truly meant something and she ripped our team to shreds. Which makes the defection of Leroux (who looks like she could have been the next big thing for us) somewhat more painful. We certainly need to get both Filigno & Belanger back for the Olympics, otherwise the exact same thing will happen as did in the WC last year, even if we have a slightly improved midfield supporting cast.

Alex Morgan may not be a world superstar but if she was wearing red last night we were in the mix. She sat high with pace and a brain and no one on the planet was marking her out of the game. She delivered the win early creating goals 1v2.

Morgan was also well-calculated. The broadcasters may have had their morality tale with Sundhage but she demonstrated last night why she's behind the bench of the #1 team in the world and not up in the press booth.

Regardez Syd the Kyd, this line drawing has nothing to do with anyone or anything in any way, it's just cracks me up every time I see it.

1242032359_haters-gonna-hate.gif

Was anyone else puzzled last night when Leroux came out with "I have a lot more fans now, but we're playing in Canada." Perhaps I'm too used to the tact of the real Sid the Kid.

Over the years I've supported Leroux and I've also questioned the ethics of her applying for things like Canadian social services. I no longer have emotion either way. Perhaps I've wrestled my demons.

The only residual emotion I feel is for Canadians. The people who wear the shirt with pride and honour because it's what and who they are. Outside of the First Canadians everyone has roots beyond our borders and we're all to a major or minor degree culturally hyphenated-Canadians. But we're Canadians and we're proud of what and who we are and what we accomplish together.

Canada is a great place. Always near the top in every quality of life and happiness ranking, and Vancouver is #3 on the Economist's Worlds Most Livable Cities list (Toronto #4, Calgary #5). There are no American cities in the top 30, or even in the top 50 in personal safety. We may not offer everything every other country in the world can, but we offer a pretty good place to live and be proud of and call home. If people don't want or like that godspeed to them in their travels without any hard or bad feelings and I'll even pack them a lunch and wish them well.

The other reason I perhaps have little emotion where she plays is I see the big kid in the U11 game. The one who goes on the field and scores at will in games with lower level players but struggles when the game becomes dynamic, interactive and intelligent.

4 - number of assists she had in the last two complete NCAA seasons.

100 - the average amount of time in minutes for her to get one shot on net in the last two season's NCAA playoff runs watching her team pack out early.

Stop and think about those numbers.

Sydney Leroux played 45 minutes against Mexico and 30 against Canada and the attack of the #1 country in the world basically disappeared when she stepped on the field. The only quality or real danger after her entrance last night was the result of others like the Cheney/Morgan combination.

I would bet money Leroux spends a lifetime in celebrity and fame, just not in the game.

The other reason I perhaps have little emotion where she plays is I see the big kid in the U11 game. The one who goes on the field and scores at will in games with lower level players but struggles when the game becomes dynamic, interactive and intelligent.

4 - number of assists she had in the last two complete NCAA seasons.

100 - the average amount of time in minutes for her to get one shot on net in the last two season's NCAA playoff runs watching her team pack out early.

Stop and think about those numbers.

Sydney Leroux played 45 minutes against Mexico and 30 against Canada and the attack of the #1 country in the world basically disappeared when she stepped on the field. The only quality or real danger after her entrance last night was the result of others like the Cheney/Morgan combination.

I would bet money Leroux spends a lifetime in celebrity and fame, just not in the game.

I agree with Vic. Real facts numbers agree with what I have seen on the field. I have never seen her before and I was deceived because with all the noise you make around her I was expecting a big star, a Mia Hamm to be in the future. I've realized she did not deserve all the attention she's drawing be it positive or not.

I think you should stop talking about the girl because this would be the biggest insult you could make to her. Only stars receive big attention, and they don't care boo's other than those of their team's fans because those boos sound to their ears like applauds. It is acknowledgement of their talent. Want it or not everytime you talk about her, you make her ego feel bigger. We have something in french that says something like : Talk about me/it in good, talk about me/it in bad, as long as you talk about me/it, it's just fine for me.

For my part, I won't criticize someone who does'nt even deserve to be criticized. Already have spent too much time about that ...!

Aren't they just as guilty of taking advantage of the system? Why aren't they reviled as traitors to Canadian soccer?

Because they don't play for the Canadian national team programme one year, and then switch to the US national team programme the next. Duh.

I have coached several young women who got scholarships to the US. Pretty much all the current Canadian womens team took that path (that's another issue). You may notice that it was possible for people like Christine Sinclair to go to a US university, create a pro career, represent Canada internationally, and become one of the best players in the world - all without defecting to the USA.

Sinclair shreds low quality teams as a forward, but against top teams she can be starved of supply, as the US did. She needs to be moved back as an AM at the top of Herdman's diamond for the Olympics, and against all top teams, because she is our best player and provider, but AM still allows her to attack the opposition goal. As long as that lesson was observed, then this 0-4 drubbing is worth it - the Dieppe that might help us win a Normandy.

I think this team is always going to struggle in the latter stages of tournament play, especially against teams where we don't have a physical/athletic advantage. Even against Mexico, our 2nd half wasn't as good as our 1st half. I liked the way we lined up v Mexico in the 4-3-3 and put pressure on the ball, but I think we struggle to do that over 90 mins.

You could see that result coming. Depth is of course the main issue but the few chances we had in the 1st half were wasted. I watched every minute of every game for Canada and it was obvious they came in with the plan to peak for Friday's game and they did very well.

The hectic week caught up with them yesterday.

Despite having to sit thru yet another airing of that interview with LeRoux's mother, I came away quite pleased with the crowd reaction and her sulking. Nothing to contribute from her, other than her gargonzo outpouring against DR, a team my u16 boys lower division team would beat by 10 goals.

BTW, I've seen a post alluding to Foligno not being picked for the team. What is the story on that? She looked more impressive than Julien in her appearances to my mind.

Although having just looked at the qualified teams for the Olympics, our chances of getting a medal or progressing out of the first round I'd have to say are better than at the WWC because the field doesn't look as strong. No Germany in our group is already an improvement......

BTW, I've seen a post alluding to Foligno not being picked for the team. What is the story on that? She looked more impressive than Julien in her appearances to my mind.

Jonelle Filigno @JFiligno

Surgery time! Wish me luck!!

6:23 AM - 13 Dec 11 via web · Details

Jonelle Filigno @JFiligno

@tineyk great! i get my cast off in 2 days .. its gunna be a slow process but ill get there:) thanks!

3:28 AM - 21 Dec 11 via web · Details

;)

Although having just looked at the qualified teams for the Olympics, our chances of getting a medal or progressing out of the first round I'd have to say are better than at the WWC because the field doesn't look as strong. No Germany in our group is already an improvement......

Where can we see which group Canada will be in? Isnt the draw in April?

Where can we see which group Canada will be in? Isnt the draw in April?

Yes, but Germany didn't qualify - UEFA was only given two spots outside of Great Britain as hosts, and they went to the top two teams in the WWC in 2011 - which was France & Sweden as they each made the semi-finals, whereas Germany was eliminated by Japan in the Q-F. So we know already that we won't have Germany in our group.

But we live in a country which allows dual citizenship, and which holds multiculturalism as one of its basic premises. You are not required to give up your culture, allegiances or even your citizenship to another country to live in Canada.

Interestingly, you can't say the same thing about the USA though. They get hurtbutt if you have dual citizenship and demand new citizens to "renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign state or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen."

Wow.. friggin crazy Euro-zone qualifying system!?

Thanks for clarifying.

Well whichever qualifying system they use, at least one of the top 6 ranked NT's would not qualify.

Given that, what's really crazy is that only 2 UEFA nations qualify. 2 out of 11 qualification places are from UEFA. But 5 of the top 11 women's NTs (excluding hosts England/U.K.) are from UEFA.

I know it's the Olympics, but sheesh... at least have UEFA #3 play-off against CAF #2 or something like that.

Archived