2012 CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying 19-29 January 2012

paul-collins

Two things. Fantastic soccer to watch (and the result was good as well). And fantastic turnout by the Vancouver faithful. Our MNT needs to get back out there sometime soon. You guys deserve it. Hope to see you all (from my tele) for the US match.

I too was very impressed with the crowd. Granted, they had a week to ramp up to it with soccer in the news, but the media *got it* and were talking about it on TV and radio. It also didn't hurt that the all-star break is on, and the ladies went to a Canuck game early and got some exposure that way.

Big kudos also to the general soccer population in Greater Van for getting their young clubs out in numbers earlier in the week.

I'd love to hear what the players had to say about the crowd... For women's soccer, the only time they'd have seen crowds like that would be in Germany, so not so positively partisan.

Desiree Scott, wtf? Why had I not noticed her before? She was everywhere in the midfield winning everything. <3

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, I'm trying to remember, but weren't there one or two regulars on this forum years ago who pushed the idea that Sinclair was overrated and one-dimensional, and that Canada would be better off ditching her in favour of somebody with ball skills? I think that possibly stands as this forum's high water mark for abject cluelessness.

Are you maybe thinking of criticism of Kara Lang? I can't recall anybody maligning Sinclair. Anyway, enough of that. Fantastic team performance with Sinclair, Tancredi and Scott standing out. Excellent crowd Alan! Really looking forward to Sunday's game.

I too recall the criticism directed towards Sinclair. It was based upon the assertion that she disappears in big games.

Nice to see a big win in front of a large and appreciative crowd. The team work ethic (as exemplified by the tenacious Scott) and their style of play is making for very entertaining soccer. Looking forward to the U.S. match.

BTW, I'm trying to remember, but weren't there one or two regulars on this forum years ago who pushed the idea that Sinclair was overrated and one-dimensional, and that Canada would be better off ditching her in favour of somebody with ball skills? I think that possibly stands as this forum's high water mark for abject cluelessness.

Yes I remember that too. They had stats showing that her goals came against weak opponents and that she never scored in big games. Nuff said about that I think....

It was a great night last night. Enjoyed the game & enjoyed the crowd. And yes - the acknowledgement of Kara was touching. Canada was full value for the win and all Canada can be proud.

I am looking forward to the final. The US has looked both very good and and (at times) very disorganized. Should be a good show.

ps - I have no idea of the expenses involved in hosting something like this - is the CSA is going to end up making a few bucks from this tournament?

Desiree Scott, wtf? Why had I not noticed her before? She was everywhere in the midfield winning everything. <3

Desiree Scott has been around, but not playing like she has in this tournament. This is definitely the right position for her. She was absolutely incredible, PERFECT tackles, simple but incredibly effective moves and solid as a rock. She is the definition of anchored, but contrary to many who do anchored well, she has moves and she's quick. Sinclair and Scott get my players of the match, without a shadow of a doubt.

I am loving the fact that the players are loving the game, there is joy in their play. Playing relaxed has done wonders for the team.

I have to agree with everyone that it was a fantastic game to watch. The only downside for me was the commentator, who kept going on and on with doomsday scenarios instead of calling the game...oh Canada missed a pass, this could be the turning point, the Mexicans will score and score and win. Oh, the Mexicans win the ball, this could be it for Canada....the end of their Olympic dreams. On and on and on, he really ruined the fun. Someone else please for next game, he was extremely annoying. Brunt was fine, it was the other guy.

KUDOS to the coach. He appears to be the full package. Technical, tactical, motivational, inspirational, calm and encouraging. He gives players the time, space and opportunity to develop their potential. They are not afraid of playing. This has to be the prototype for coaching for the future, at all levels. Let's get rid of all the psycho yellers, verbal abusers, old style "this is the way its always been done" guys. This guy is applying coaching theory to the letter and getting great results. A huge congratulations to Coach Herdman.

Congrats and well done to the ladies. Almost brought a tear to my eye when they ran over after the game to Kara Lang sitting in the on-field broadcast booth, very touching to see given Kara's premature retirement. WOTM though was actually Desiree Scott, she really prevented that Mexican team from getting going in the 1st half (in which they created zippo against us) which allowed us to jump out to that huge half-time lead. Overall very pleasing to see, well-played soccer of the type that those of us wanting to see Pellerud removed (after a while) were expecting we could see from our women. Sinclair to carry the flag in London might not be a bad choice at all, actually.

Congrats and well done to the ladies. Almost brought a tear to my eye when they ran over after the game to Kara Lang sitting in the on-field broadcast booth, very touching to see given Kara's premature retirement. WOTM though was actually Desiree Scott, she really prevented that Mexican team from getting going in the 1st half (in which they created zippo against us) which allowed us to jump out to that huge half-time lead. Overall very pleasing to see, well-played soccer of the type that those of us wanting to see Pellerud removed (after a while) were expecting we could see from our women. Sinclair to carry the flag in London might not be a bad choice at all, actually.

+1 on the Desiree Scott comments. She shut down so much stuff out there. She's like a heat-seeking missle but has some pretty quality distribution to go along with her tackling presence. Didn't seem to flag later in the match as well which speaks volumes for her conditioning.

All so true about Desiree. I have been watching her play since she was 12 and she is a fierce competator. Wonder why the previous coaches didn't recognize this.

As an aside it was mentioned that the present coach chooses his "style" of play to fit the players he has instead of trying to "impose" his style on the players. Any truth to that statement?

All so true about Desiree. I have been watching her play since she was 12 and she is a fierce competator. Wonder why the previous coaches didn't recognize this.

As an aside it was mentioned that the present coach chooses his "style" of play to fit the players he has instead of trying to "impose" his style on the players. Any truth to that statement?

Scott was a regular when Bridge was in-charge of the U20s. Same as Kyle and a few others.

Guest piltdownmanWC

It is being reportered that over 21k tickets have already been sold. With walk up I wouldn't doubt they will hit the lower bowl capacity of 25,300.

Come July I hope Herdmann would have found someone to replace Julien. We need another forward upfront. Maybe Filigno if they can kiss and make up.

I thought Filigno was injured...was there a parting due to something else?

I don't know that I would throw Julien under the bus yet. I've seen her play better and she might just need some time and big games under her belt (same for Buckland). She also got her head smacked in the first game and even though she was cleared to play, those things can affect your reaction time, judgement and performance for a while. I don't know that you're going to find someone who can just jump into big international games and lead the team with lots of scoring. I think Herdman will have to develop his strikers.

If indeed what you're refering to is a post of mine on Sinclair's performance in meaningful games in major tournaments in the decade 2000-2010, those records were supported and are public domain and you're as welcome now as you were then to provide information to the contrary. And if I have a dog and I tell people it hasn't bit anyone in a decade, and a year later you growl at it and raise your arm and it bites you and you scream "AHA! You're a liar and an idiot!" - perhaps I'm wrong but the statement is perhaps a little more revealing about the accuser than the accusee.

I'm also pretty familiar with content from the period you're refering to and I'm not familiar with comments from anyone on her being one-dimensional or ditching her in favour of someone with ball skills. But seeing as you're willing to character assassinate those not present, being such a gentleman I'm sure you'll gladly back it up and source it or apologize.

Moving on to the beautiful game.

Sinclair is at the height of her powers right now. Relaxed on the ball, fully focused and transcendentally and spatially aware. She has been exceptional. Sure we haven't played inside the top 20 yet but it doesn't matter, the master craftsmanship is unequivocal. It will also be interesting to see how the Americans look to neutralize her today. Possibly they'll look to Buehler and Boxx to sandwich her literally and figuratively. Definitely something for people who like to read the game to keep an eye out for early. Another would be the rate at which the Americans look to play wide instead of through the middle.

The Mexicans looked a bit zonked and out of sorts and rhythm compared to their group games. No doubt the extra 24 hours of recovery and the home crowd was in our favour, but we played a smart game and managed to isolate them and take away their ball possession. Another intelligent piece was the cycling and ball movement across the back forcing 33yr old Maribel Domniguez into constant movement and taking the edge out of her legs.

When it comes to the Olympics and CONCACAF - there's no place like home. Les États-Unis, Mexico and Canada are the only three countries in the top 40 teams in the world fighting for two CONCACAF Olympic spots. By contrast and arcanely, UEFA has 25 of the top 40 fighting for a similar two spots. Or well, fought. They used the World Cup last summer as their qualifier, and Germany getting shlocked in the quarters means not only did they miss the medal round at home, but they'll miss their first major tournament ever.

I believe The Ref was the first to notice the arrival of Desiree Scott and it was well-spotted. She's come very far very fast and specifically the change in her distribution is remarkable for such a short period of time. She looks a lot more comfortable in the middle of the field where she has 360 degree range of motion and isn't mentally constrained by the touchline. It takes a while to master visualizing the patterns in being a provider in the final third, but she is a perfect fit and very effective distributing shallower. And even better is she's from Winnipeg and the CIS. What a great story. She also seems genuine and godspeed she stay's humble, healthy and hardworking.

Another player who's been surprisingly underappreciated, especially in the Mexico game, is Lauren Sesselmann. She owned the left side and provided quality distribution into the danger areas. She is one very talented and reliable player. Going at players, closing them down, in the air, working the line, you name it. Smart and polished. What a gift.

Some good stuff on her in the Province today...

1. When the Mexican and Canadian players lined up for the national anthems at B.C. Place on Friday, there was Green Bay, Wisc.'s Lauren Sesselmann standing alongside her Canuck teammates, singing, well, something. "She was yelling," Canadian goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc said with a laugh. "I don't know what she was yelling, but she was belting it out."
  2. Sesselmann, whose dad was born on an air force base in Newfoundland, thus making her eligible to play for Canada.
  3. She's been asked if she even knows where Newfoundland is (She's like, 'Yeah, it's over there,' " said LeBlanc, pointing at random).
  4. Sesselmann said she started the process of trying to play for Canada almost three years ago. She sent in tapes, but was never invited to camp under Carolina Morace.

Here's to more U.S. bases in Canada.

Shannon Woeller has been about as sturdy and dependable as it gets in the back and has looked like a cagey veteran. Against teams with limited numbers high or pressure she's played the position to perfection. The tough part for her is the car rides about to go from 20kph to about 200. We'll spend large amounts of the game under siege with a half-dozen extremely talented and unforgiving players setting up shop across the top of the final third and coming in from all angles. Other than goalkeeper or lone striker, center-back is the most difficult position on the field to play against a team like the Americans.

And last but not least the usual suspects. So many other great people getting it done, people like LeBlanc, Chapman and Parker. Zero surprise to anyone though, throw out the odd off day and they're extremely consistent at delivering high-grade performances.

So back to game day. To be blunt, the Americans are technically far better than we are. That's just a clinical reality and anyone who doesn't think so is either incapable of appreciating the difference or in cold hard denial. As you would expect with a tenfold population and funding, a year-round climate and fully professional league, they're at a completely different level than we are. We may be six ranking places apart but the reality in terms of scope and scale is a different species entirely.

No shame or news there though, it's always been that way and always will. Such is life living next door to a superpower. It's the same or worse in things like football, basketball, and baseball. And of course it doesn't in any way whatsoever mean we can't beat them, that's always on the table in any game of chance. The history of sport is full of David and Goliath, including Canada/USA women's soccer. Blaine in 1986, Columbus in 2000 and Lagos in 2001. Every now and then time stands still for 90 minutes.

The relevant question on day's like today is how do you beat a team better than you? Not tie them. Beat them.

Outside of luck, I can think of a couple of ways that can happen. The first is performance, you outwork and outplay your opponent and/or they beat themselves. Not impossible but not the greatest odds playing #1 ranked teams. The other way is to outsmart them. You employ tactics which lower their advantage into your ballpark. Better game plan, better matchups, better mental headspace, whatever. Hopefully we have a bit of both in our favour today. And if not, well, tomorrow's another day. They're nice on the cabinet at home and even better if you're getting a performance bonus, but they don't give medals in the Olympics for regional qualifying.

And one last honourable mention - to the Haitian defender Sam Brand. She was the young lady who got 100% blindsided by the 18-wheeler on the top of her six. She not only had her bell rung but took a hit that knocks most fully padded and protected NFL players out of games. Brand got herself back up and walked off to the side of the pack and with a couple of minutes of willpower and strength brought herself back and didn't miss a beat. She may not be in London this summer, but that's as Olympian as it gets.

You guys are hilarious to think you have some valid point to put players in youth development in some box, label them and try to restrict their development. It's one of the reason the Canadian youth system has not developed players and coaches.Athletes are free to move where ever they want to complete what they think is the best development for them. Further many of you call yourselves fans but you are not as you don't even consider that heckling, swearing and etc in the stands is poor sportsmanship. It has nothing to do with how much you pay for you ticket to view the game or that you have so many in your group. Your actions are no more different than some idiot showing up at some kids game doing the same thing. What is in the stands should respect the game and players on the pitch as everyone participates. To do otherwise is totally ignoring the foundations of sports, the Olympic creed and other aspects.

I think that Lord Bob and Joe McCarthy have made the point. If you want to attend a silent sports event, and think that fan interaction isn't part of the game, go watch golf, or NHL hockey. Some fans don't want to get involved, and that's fine (they're money helps pay for the sports I watch, so I welcome their contributions); but some of us are going to get involved, even if those people don't like it. Since you appear to be a spectator, not a fan, then it's understandable that you do not understand the actions and emotions of people who actually are fans (which is a word shortened from "fanatic").

If you want to just sit there with a happy joy-joy smile on your face while Canadians play for the US, then bend over and take it, because you are a spectator, not a fan with an emotional attachment to sport. That's fine, because a lot of people don't have an emotional attachment to the sport. They watch Man Utd, AC Milan, Barcelona, and whoever else is currently the wealthiest and most successful team. Watching the game to appreciate the best play is certainly something a lot of people do. I love great play from Man Utd or Spain, but that doesn't make them the teams that I want to watch the most. Watch Barca vs Real on television all day, and you'll get to watch better football than Canada teams provide. However, for some of us, football has an emotional component, and we support the teams we love, not just the ones that currently have the best players.

I'm on record on the Southsider's forum as one of the biggest critics of swearing, so your comments are a red herring. Supporting, singing, chanting, waving flags, and HECKLING TRAITORS are not the same as being a swearing, alcohol-affected jerk. Figure out the difference between the two before advocating a golf-like supporters culture for soccer. There IS a middle ground between a Turkish soccer stadium and a golf course, and soccer fans in Canada are showing what it is, if you take the time to stand among them.

Gordon and Ed have also corrected you about the Canadian development system being "pay to play". Yes, parents pay to register their kids, but as a youth coach, I have given a lot of my time, just like hundreds of people within Canadian soccer did in developing LeRoux to the point where she made the Canada programme, and others have paid for the facilities she used. If she wanted to play only for the US, then why did she participate in and use the Canada national team programme?

Wasn't you.

As for the game, which I eagerly await ticket in hand, I think that caring more could be our biggest advantage. The Americans of course are intensively competitive and not accustomed to letting up and giving less than their all - as their recent double-digit triumphs attest. But deep down I think this is a game they don't want. It's been 24 meetings and more than a decade since we last beat them. Today is as good a day as any. And if we don't, we still walk away from this tournament heads held high. There's always next time.

And one last honourable mention - to the Haitian defender Sam Brand. She was the young lady who got 100% blindsided by the 18-wheeler on the top of her six. She not only had her bell rung but took a hit that knocks most fully padded and protected NFL players out of games. Brand got herself back up and walked off to the side of the pack and with a couple of minutes of willpower and strength brought herself back and didn't miss a beat. She may not be in London this summer, but that's as Olympian as it gets.

You hit the nail on the head. The whole Haitian team earned my heart. Earthquake and poverty, they gave all of us a lesson of resilience and I was happy to see them returning home with their heads high and proud. Kudos to the girls and their coach. You deserved to be here and I hope to see you soon again.

I prefer to see the high road like how the US fans not doing anything about Sesselmann, Noyola and others.

You just don't get it. Sesselman was NEVER approached by the US programme. She never PLAYED in the US programme. She had no chance of PLAYING in the US system. Therefore, her situation has absolutely nothing to do with LeRoux's situation.

People like you just don't get it, which is why your opinion on the topic is wrong. Owen **********, LeRoux, Teal Bunbury - all these people have NOTHING IN COMMON with Marc Bircham or Lauren Sesselmen. If you can't figure this out, then you are incapable of having a meaningful and intelligent opinion on the topic. US fans aren't "taking the high road": (a) they don't know, and (B), just like Canadian hockey fans don't begrudge a guy from Mississauga playing for Switzerland, so too American soccer fans haven't lost anything when Sesselman plays for Canada. When Owen ********** and Sydney LeRoux play for England and the US, Canadian fans HAVE lost something. I don't understand how people can be so stupid that they cannot figure this out.

Could I get the exact kick off time, local time? On the Concacaf site it says the game is tomorrow, and in just over 6 hours, with a clock ticking down. And starting at 2 o'clock. So I am trying to work that out. If it is at 2 local time Sunday that is 11 my time here in Spain but that means in just over 3 hours.

None of this anyone should rightly care about. The CSA site does not state the time. The CBC articles do not either. I suppose if I went online to buy tix they might tell me, but since I am here what is the point.

Attendance for women's soccer should make us proud, what happens in most nations in the world regarding the spread between men and women is disgraceful, I was talking about this today with Barça fans, and most agreed the women were totally ignored (Barça women are leading the Spanish league) and the club was radically sexist, however much we love the men. I mean you do not get more than 200 out for games here, there is no value placed on women at all. So in Canada we have got things right and at least there can be happy we are doing something right.

You hit the nail on the head. The whole Haitian team earned my heart. Earthquake and poverty, they gave all of us a lesson of resilience and I was happy to see them returning home with their heads high and proud. Kudos to the girls and their coach. You deserved to be here and I hope to see you soon again.

The Haitian team was definitely one of my favorites too, I was cheering for them in every game except Canada. They did lots with little.

Having said that Brand is an American as is Boulos. Half of the Mexican team (I didn't count but lots) were born, live and go to school in the States. Noyola went through the US National Development system and played for the US as a youth but chose to go with the Mexican National Team. We also have one American born on our team. I don't think that you can celebrate the American on our team and in the same breath heckle the Canadian on the US team.

If the rules allow it, you can't crucify someone for doing something which is allowed. The argument that a 12 or 14 year old shouldn't have used the Canadian system to develop is weak, a 12 or 14 year old will do what her parents say. They player can only make those types of serious personal decisions, to leave their country and live and play in another, later in their life. Leroux left the country to play in the US pretty much as early as it is possible to do for a teenager going alone. It would never have happened in my family, but there are lots of things that happen in other families that I don't agree with, but that doesn't give me the right to publicly judge.

If we celebrate Brand, Noyola and Sesselman , then how can we publicly heckle Leroux?

If the rules allow it, you can't crucify someone for doing something which is allowed.

That is the least true thing ever written. Rules don't define morality, rules attempt inaccurately to reflect morality. And, when the rules are set by a body as head-to-tail corrupt and decadently sleazy as FIFA, not even that.

Sepp Blatter is one of the last men on earth who'll tell me what's right and what's wrong.

Could I get the exact kick off time, local time? On the Concacaf site it says the game is tomorrow, and in just over 6 hours, with a clock ticking down. And starting at 2 o'clock. So I am trying to work that out. If it is at 2 local time Sunday that is 11 my time here in Spain but that means in just over 3 hours. QUOTE]

The game kicks off at 5pm Pacific Time, pregame show starts at 4:30 PT on Sportsnet. I believe you can watch it online.

Archived