2012 CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying 19-29 January 2012

paul-collins

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
. If anything many are failing here to understand the actions of BC Place security and have maybe not read the guidelines posted by the CSA.

Bottom line is the sportsmanship on the field is best to be mirrored by the supporters in the stands to make the sport grow. Otherwise it become like sending the bad adults at a kids game home as they don't understand they are guests in the athletes environment.

The first part is incorrect. Brett from the southsiders has 'lawyered' there ass on several occasions showing that they know the rules quite well actually.

Game on. Game off. During the game take the piss all you want as long as it's not racist, homophobic or sexist. Yes there are also other lines to cross and in this respect I have seen SGs self policequite effectively.

It's just not that bad, unless I have really missed something.

On the topic of selling the other side of the bowl, I have to say that the overhead sails mask the upper bowl quite nicely and provide a sense of it being a nice 20k stadium (instead of just covering teh upper seats, making the upper bowl visibly empty).

I understood right away why they restricted the seating to one side - the TV-viewable side - as the LED adboards were also on that side (so the spectators couldn't see them, but the TVs could).

If they are able to get 15k+ at tomorrow night's game, it should look pretty decent.

The upper curtains are excellent. I have to think they're doing some good acoustically as well; the Voyageurs just boom under there.

Seriously, if you guys inside and outside Vancouver ever get the chance, BC Place is a surprisingly enjoyable place to watch a soccer game.

Guest piltdownmanWC

I actually think the full lower bowl configuration is around 25,300 not 20k. The Whitecaps cap it at 21k but thats with alot of tarped off seats.

I for one really like the subroof compared to just tarping off the upper bowl.

For what it is worth when I asked if the upper bowl would be open I was told "Not Yet", which isn't a a 'no'.

Guest piltdownmanWC

As for security. I think the problem is that every event has it's own set of rules, and I don't think many members of security study them very closely. The other day they were confiscating flag poles in the Voyageurs/Southsiders section. When I questioned them they told me they were not allowed. I asked them for a copy of the rules, they didn't have them, but luckily I did. There then was a grey area because the rules said that they were allowed in the designated supporters, but the rules didn't define where those sections are. I made a phone call to the organizing committee and after a meeting on the concourse the flagpoles were returned to their owners.

Since the security don't know all the rules they are left to enforce them to their own standards. Problem with that is that some are great and like what we the supporter groups do and others are like CoachRich and think we should just golf clap.

Our section has self policed ourself this section to a great degree. Because there are so many kids around we have zero-swearing and I have personally have told a few people to tone down their insults to the players warming up right below us.

Guest piltdownmanWC

On a fun note, just a reminder that we will be at Doolin's Irish pub on both Friday and Sunday. They currently are part of Dine Out Vancouver, so you can get a taste 3 course meal for only $18. All are invited to join us. Should be a great time.

As to the big game itself, what do people think will be the starting lineup? I must say I have been content with the choices to date but have not been overly impressed with either Julien or Buckley (missing Belanger big time). The player who has really caught my eye is Scott who has been very good so far.

Guest piltdownmanWC

Groupon SOLD OUT. You also can't get a pair anywhere but Purple now. I expect 20K+ and even a lower bowl sellout is possible.

As to the big game itself, what do people think will be the starting lineup? I must say I have been content with the choices to date but have not been overly impressed with either Julien or Buckley (missing Belanger big time). The player who has really caught my eye is Scott who has been very good so far.

My guess for lineup is Woeller, Chapman, Wilkinson, Booth, Scott, Kyle, Schmidt, Parker, Sinclair, Tancredi and Leblanc.

I agree that Buckley has not been impressive yet but did see the flashes of potential a few times, just seems a bit premature, she wasn't ready for this stage just yet. I have to say that up front I have been missing Filigno.

My guess for lineup is Woeller, Chapman, Wilkinson, Booth, Scott, Kyle, Schmidt, Parker, Sinclair, Tancredi and Leblanc.

I agree that Buckley has not been impressive yet but did see the flashes of potential a few times, just seems a bit premature, she wasn't ready for this stage just yet. I have to say that up front I have been missing Filigno.

I assume Sinclair will continue in her attacking midfield role so would expect to see Tancredi and one of Julien or Buckland up front. This drops Schimdt to the bench although she could play upfront with Tank to take advantage of her size and strength against the smaller Mexicans.

That game was absolutely fantastic.

My favourite moment in the game happened before the game even started. During the national anthem, the look of relaxed calm and enjoyment on LeBlanc and Sinclairs face was so perfect. They had swagger written all over their faces and backed it up all game long.

That performance bodes well, both for Sunday v the Americans and beyond. Scott was strong in front of the back 4, linked well with Schmidt and Parker, who in turn got good service into the front 3. And when we were starting to lose our grip on the game, Tancredi and Sinclair provided a moment of quality to salt it away. Can't wait for Sunday.

Fantastic night. Great crowd of nearly 23,000. I'm still on a high.

Really looking forward to Sunday. The US are not happy to be facing Canada, that's for sure. USA-Mexico would have been a tame affair with neither side looking to risk much. But Canada on home turf in front of another huge crowd, and no love lost between these two sides - very different story. Then you've got the whole Wambach vs Sinclair angle, with both players now tied on 129 goals. Woot.

BTW, I'm trying to remember, but weren't there one or two regulars on this forum years ago who pushed the idea that Sinclair was overrated and one-dimensional, and that Canada would be better off ditching her in favour of somebody with ball skills? I think that possibly stands as this forum's high water mark for abject cluelessness.

^ I don't remember reading that angle but maybe someone with a few more years on the board can speak to that. When I joined in 2008, there was almost no discussion of CWNT, so if it was a thought, I wouldn't think too many shared that thought.

Two things. Fantastic soccer to watch (and the result was good as well). And fantastic turnout by the Vancouver faithful. Our MNT needs to get back out there sometime soon. You guys deserve it. Hope to see you all (from my tele) for the US match.

Archived