JDG2 interview on Full Time this Sunday

SthMelbRed

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really looking forward to this sunday's episode it is quite stacked. I look forward to hearing the comment from JDG2 aswell as the new whitecap players.

Although i am expecting no new devellopments with JDG2, he will probably say he has had contact with Stephen Hart, talk about la liga, and hear he dodge questions about playing for canada.

I wonder exactly what he'll say. I know that Hoilett was non-committal, but I wonder if de Guzman will do the same given that he has not really been included in the any recent plans for the Dutch national team. Not even a whisper. I'm going to stay on the positive side and hope he says yes. Also curious if they will ask him about his recent comments about Toronto FC.

Of course they are monitoring - he's playing well in La Liga. But is he a "top 8" midfielder for Holland? THat's the question right...and does he "have more upside than the bright 18-21 year olds" available....

I think the answer to both of those is no. Yet he could literally be a star for Canada. On a good team with a reasonable chance at qualification as a top 6-8 nation in Concacaf. Which would be a top 4 nation if some lads would just commit!

Of course they are monitoring - he's playing well in La Liga. But is he a "top 8" midfielder for Holland? THat's the question right...and does he "have more upside than the bright 18-21 year olds" available....

I think the answer to both of those is no. Yet he could literally be a star for Canada. On a good team with a reasonable chance at qualification as a top 6-8 nation in Concacaf. Which would be a top 4 nation if some lads would just commit!

I often wonder about this. A lot of people (myself included), tend to think that JDG2 and Hoillet are the saviours of Canadian soccer. It is entirely possible that for whatever reason they can't make it happen either (recall how confident we were about WCQ2010).

I agree that he is not a top 8 midfielder, but he is arguabley a top 10 midfielder, as far as central midfielders go. He also doesn't have more upside than the 18-21 year olds. However, the dutch still may cap him at any age if they feel the need to do so. It's plausable that he gets his first cap at the age of 27 and never gets called again. Jay Bothroyd, a cardiff city striker, earned his first cap with England last year against France, it could happen to JDG2.

So another question is, does JDG2 want to play a half dozen times for Holland? Or does he want to earn 50 caps for Canada?

I often wonder about this. A lot of people (myself included), tend to think that JDG2 and Hoillet are the saviours of Canadian soccer. It is entirely possible that for whatever reason they can't make it happen either (recall how confident we were about WCQ2010).

Even with two of thos guys I don't know if we would be clearly a top 4. I think we tend to underestimate Honduras and Costa Rica and overestimate our own team. If we had a guy right now playing on Tottenham, two at Wigan, one at Celtic, and one Anderlecht, and a veteran guy at Inter Milan (even if he wasn't getting minutes), we would already be claiming we are a top 4.

The dutch have alledgedly been monitoring . I remember reading that on a mallorca fan site

my mistake, it was an indonesian article.

Here is the google translation.

Appearances midfielder Jonathan de Guzman did not seem to escape the observation of the Dutch national team coach Bert van Marwijk.

De Guzman to leave Feyenoord Rotterdam free agent last summer and is now the mainstay of Mallorca. Different from his position as a winger during the strengthening Feyenoord, De Guzman placed in Mallorca in central midfield.

"We continue to monitor it. We are not unaware of good appearance De Guzman in Spain," said Van Marwijk told Voetbal International.

"If Jonathan continues to perform well, of course calling the national team just a matter of time. I think he deserves invoked. Just as with Royston Drenthe, I had one year to consider calling him into the national team. If Drenthe continue to perform well with Hercules, he entered our radar. Once also with De Guzman. "

"I think De Guzman is a great player. He has long entrance monitoring, but unfortunately often injured. However we still monitor it. Players like De Guzman would never have escaped notice."

Maybe open up the discussion of international duty by telling him that a Dutch fan came on here (in another thread) claiming that he had given up his Canadian passport and asking him if this is true. Give him the opportunity to indicate that he still considers himself a Canadian and then... boom... you have the opening to ask about his international intentions.

Hi Guys,

In addition to JDG2... we'll also have the following:

Plus Paul Dolan, Canadian National Men’s Goalkeeping Coach, will join Full-Time for his first visit of what will be a monthly series. We’ll also catch up with Whitecaps FC 1st round picks Omar Salgado and Michael Nanchoff and round off the show with Whitecaps FC head coach Teitur Thordarson and ‘Caps president Bob Lenarduzzi. Real Salt Lake midfielder and Canadian International Will Johnson will also stop by to discuss his new 4 year deal and what he would say to Canadians deciding whether or not to play for the Canadian National Team.

The usual suspects will also be by including Marc Rizzardo from Metrotown Physio to discuss the latest injury news from the world of soccer and we’ll find out “What’s on Setanta“ with Andy Shapiera.

We'll try and sort out what de Guzman is going to do... play or not play for Canada. Should be interesting.

Maybe open up the discussion of international duty by telling him that a Dutch fan came on here (in another thread) claiming that he had given up his Canadian passport and asking him if this is true. Give him the opportunity to indicate that he still considers himself a Canadian and then... boom... you have the opening to ask about his international intentions.

That's a pretty good tactic and would be good to know if he's even a Canadian anymore because that would put a lot to rest if he says no.

The show is fantastic you guys get the best guests and give good interviews. Keep it up!

We'll try and sort out what de Guzman is going to do... play or not play for Canada. Should be interesting.

I doubt you will be able to get a definitive yes to this scenario... but maybe you can find out if there is a chance. As little as I want to get my hopes up again I would be interested to know if there is even a slim chance of him changing his decision.

He confirmed that he gave up his Canadian passport for a Dutch one. He's not playing for us.

In the words of Stephen Colbert, "...movin' on...."

did bircham have a canadian passport,did dejong give up his dutch citizenship to play for canada.

is there such thing as a dutch passport anymore,wouldnt dutch citizens have a euro passport.

Good point. How can the passport requirement be true if De Jong is elgible to play for us?? He's born in Canada and a Dutch citizen. The same as De Guzman.

did bircham have a canadian passport,did dejong give up his dutch citizenship to play for canada.

is there such thing as a dutch passport anymore,wouldnt dutch citizens have a euro passport.

Bircham had a Canadian passport as England like Canada allows dual citizens. Holland restricts dual citizenship but allows it in some cases such as if you are born abroad to Dutch parents which would be DeJong's case.

Personally I am disgusted that JDG2 chose to renounce his Canadian citizenship but also happy that he was required to do so unlike that Englishman because he does not deserve to hold it.

Good point. How can the passport requirement be true if De Jong is elgible to play for us?? He's born in Canada and a Dutch citizen. The same as De Guzman.

Many European nations allow people who are ‘ethnically’ of that nation to gain citizenship. De Jong was born in Canada of Dutch parents, so he could obtain his Dutch passport almost simply as applying for it, the same goes for Lars Hirschfeld who is ‘ethnically’ German.

In many cases European nations require you to renounce your current citizenship to obtain theirs, in the case of Tam Nsaliwa he obtained Canadian citizenship and had to renounce his citizenship to obtain his German citizenship. Tam was an immigrant to Canada and gave up his citizenship voluntarily; therefore he isn’t Canadian in any sense of the word and can’t play for us. He would also have to go through the Canadian immigration process all over again to get his citizenship back.

Honestly it seems very bizarre for Jonothan to give up his Canadian citizenship because two sections of Dutch citizenship law I believe he could qualify to not renounce his citizenship

where the person has lived in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, or Sint Maarten for an uninterrupted period of 5 years or longer before age 18.

where the applicant has "special and objectively assessable reasons" for not renouncing his existing nationality.

I believe he left home at age 12 and obtained his citizenship at age 18, so under the first part he could qualify. Under the second part his family is back in Canada and he travels there often, if he owned property in Toronto he could also make this case. Jonothan could make a case under these two sections to keep his Canadian citizenship if he wanted too. If he did renounce his citizenship, because he was born here he would have to apply for permanent resident status and could obtain his citizenship in one year (Play for TFC for one year and become a citizen again).

I believe Jonothan never gave up his citizenship and this is just the easiest way to say, “I have zero interest in playing for Canada even if I am not good enough for the Dutch.” I honestly believe we will see this happen more and more in soccer, players refusing to play for national teams if it is not one of the ‘top nations’. Playing for Canada will never increase your career earning potential and if that is the case, why waste your summers in the Gold Cup if no monetary value is to be gained from it in the long run?

Archived