JDG2 interview on Full Time this Sunday

SthMelbRed

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he never said that he gave up his canadian citizenship

he said he gave up his canadian passport.

but Fulltime said otherwise a few posts before:

Jonathan de Guzman told us he gave up his Canadian passport and citizenship in order to become a Dutch citizen. We'll have the entire interview up shortly it you wanted to hear it for youself.

Anyways, I think Grizzly comments couldn't be more appropiate in JDG2's case. I won't lie, I'm bitter, I hope he never plays a WC for Holland and it would be sweeter watch us qualify at some point without him...

Here's my optimists take on the whole thing:

He's still holding out hope for a possibility of cracking the Dutch squad. I highly doubt he's unaware of the rule change nor his eligibility to play for Canada. His nonchalant response was to ensure that nobody (on either side of the ocean) claims he waffled if all things work out for him. Maybe even he's monitored how pissed off we got about Lensky and Begovic for instance.

I also suspect he could have stirred up a fuss to keep his Canadian citizenship/passport (I know for a fact that it is possible), but was too lazy/indifferent/excited about being Dutch to do so. The point is somewhat moot since he can get his Canadian citizenship back at anytime he chooses (whether the Netherlands would revoke his Dutch citizenship I'm not sure).

Wait until June 2012. Then he'll probably be willing to talk about his international options.

Just listened to the full interview on the podcast and he seems indifferent about his International potential. Regardless of what the technical eligibility requirement is on his citizenship/passport, his #1 concern is health then his club side in Mallorca. We'll see how he will respond to a call-up by a senior Dutch squad then we'll know his real intention is... or my gut feeling says just move on.

Is there a link to the interview?

You can access all the required info by clicking on the link - http://fulltimethesoccershow.blogspot.com/2011/01/full-time-podcast-january-16-2011.html

Sorry for the big URL.

He told me after the interview he gave up both his Canadian passport and Canadian citizenship as he couldn't have Canadian citizenship in order to gain Dutch citizenship. For him, it was a choice of one or the other and with him wanting to play his club football in Europe meant giving up Canadian citizenship. He also mentions wanting or hoping to get a call-up to the Dutch national side. So Stephen Hart would likely be wasting his breath to ask him to rejoin the Canada squad. As Will Johnson said, "we want guys that want to be here and a part of something". Perhaps we should all do the same too.

You can access all the required info by clicking on the link - http://fulltimethesoccershow.blogspot.com/2011/01/full-time-podcast-january-16-2011.html

Sorry for the big URL.

He told me after the interview he gave up both his Canadian passport and Canadian citizenship as he couldn't have Canadian citizenship in order to gain Dutch citizenship. For him, it was a choice of one or the other and with him wanting to play his club football in Europe meant giving up Canadian citizenship. He also mentions wanting or hoping to get a call-up to the Dutch national side. So Stephen Hart would likely be wasting his breath to ask him to rejoin the Canada squad. As Will Johnson said, "we want guys that want to be here and a part of something". Perhaps we should all do the same too.

So sad. :(

Oh well, moving on...

No offense to Julian, but if he was my brother I'd b!tch slap him into representing Canada. Really I don't see him representing Holland on a regular basis.

So when his career is done and over with, he looks back as says WOW I represented Holland in 3 qualification matches for the World Cup a total of 47 minutes of international soccer...an experience I'll never forget.

Sorry for the big URL.

I found the link on your site to the part of the JDG2 interview that was not broadcast but couldn't seem to find a link to the podcast itself. Usually you post a direct link here to the podcast which is better. I prefer not to have anything to do with itunes and am sure I am not the only one here who feels that way. I managed to find the link on the website of your radio station though. The address is here: http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/soccer_show/Full_Time_Vancouvers_Soccer_Show_January_16_2011~.mp3

Thanks for the interview and finally putting this issue to rest.

After thinking about this for a day or so, I am actually extremely happy at this turn of events. I never felt comfortable with JDG2 playing for us given what he has said and done in the past. We really need a player with his level and style of play so I probably would have held my nose if he had decided to play for us but he never would have had my respect or full support. I would rather have a team full of players I respect and can support. I am also happy that he did not retain his citizenship unlike that Englishman and hope that he is never granted Canadian citizenship again. He is in no way way Canadian in my eyes and should neither play for us, reside here or have citizenship.

I also suspect he could have stirred up a fuss to keep his Canadian citizenship/passport (I know for a fact that it is possible), but was too lazy/indifferent/excited about being Dutch to do so. The point is somewhat moot since he can get his Canadian citizenship back at anytime he chooses .

This isn't necessarily true, my reading of the law to obtain Canadian citizenship back states that in order to re-acquire citizenship after you lose it you have to become a permanent resident and apply for citizenship in a year. If you were born in Canada and lost citizenship applying for permanent residency is filling out the paper work but also implies being a resident of Canada, JDG 2 won’t return to live in Canada unless he plays for TFC or after he retires. Having permanent residence status also allows you to count as a domestic on an MLS roster, so he would still count as domestic as soon as he comes to play.

Playing for TFC or any Canadian club would allow JDG2 to obtain his citizenship back in a year. I wish the Voyaguers along with the supporters groups of our MLS clubs and soon to be MLS club would agree to some joint statement that we will never support a Canadian club that signs JDG 2 in the future. If he wants his citizenship back it shouldn’t be with one of our clubs, I think it is time for the fans to create some sort of consequences for Canadians who decide not to play for Canada.

I think it is still possible he is lying about giving up citizenship so he can be left alone, but if it is true that he gave up his Canadian citizenship the fans should make it a pain in the ass to get it back ;)

I agree, lets move forward with the guys who continue to answer the call for us. In the end, JDG2 is going to be the person who misses out. We will still have a MNT, that hopefully is comprised of a group of guys who gel and come together as a team and have fond memories of international competition, he will most likely have a hand full of callups for the Dutch (who are notorious outside of the last world cup for infighting) and a missed opportunity.

He is not going top give up his Dutch citizenship as long as he wants to play professionally in an EU country. The advantage is too great.

I would have thought the Dutch would be more liberal with their citizenship laws, but unless he can qualify for dual citizenship in the ways that finchster mentioned, he's gone.

• 5 months later...
*Random post*

Seems like JDG2 is cheering for Canada at the Fifa women's world cup

jdeguz Jonathan De Guzman

Go Canada!

Good for him. Time to move on, nothing to see, move along people. Amazing that Marcel De Jong knows which jersey to wear ... Let's support the Borjans, the Johnsons, the Simpsons, the Jakovics, the McKennas, the Jacksons, and all those already committed to our country.

*Random post*

Seems like JDG2 is cheering for Canada at the Fifa women's world cup

jdeguz Jonathan De Guzman

Go Canada!

Nice to have a Dutch supporting Canadian women team. I wonder why he isn't supporting the Dutch women team either? lol

Good for him. Time to move on, nothing to see, move along people. Amazing that Marcel De Jong knows which jersey to wear ... Let's support the Borjans, the Johnsons, the Simpsons, the Jakovics, the McKennas, the Jacksons, and all those already committed to our country.

I am not supporting him, i just found it weird that he would tweet that knowing he is hated among Canadian national team supporters

I have dutch and canadian passports....not sure what the problem is.

I don't understand it either. Holland is one of the easiest countries to get a passport from. I've never heard that you have to renounce your passport or citizenship of another country. We even have politicians who possess multiple passports.

Archived