Toronto FC vs Chivas USA - Aug 7th

jpg75

You guys need points and the sooner the better. I'm not hitting the panic button but if you want to make the playoffs you are currently tied for the last playoff spot. 3 would be good, 1 would be okay but you really need to get something at home and on the road. Good luck.

Santos is playing with a lot of confidence right now and I'm hoping he gets the start. He holds possession up top much better than OBW and Gerba did and his smart play set up the two goals in Tegucigalpa. With Sanyang and Saric both injured Nane should maintain his place and he'll be hoping to make himself the first choice ballwinning partner alongside de Guzman.

^Well, perhaps he's found his spot, as opposed to being a left sided midfielder, LB, or even striker, where he has also played this season. He's an excellent athlete, looks strong in the tackle, but the technical skill side of his game is pretty inconsistent (and that's being generous). However in this system he's just asked to be a "destroyer" with de Guzman doing the vast majority of the passing work in the centre of the park, so hopefully he can be keep improving.

that was a nervy one, man they did a good job getting on corners and crosses but frei saved us a bunch, they had way too many chances and too much possesion at the end

edit:wrong place to put it but I figure as an edit it's okay, impact are playing in an hour on the src (the french cbc)

2-1 now after a well-spotted Cann handball.

A shame that he didn't well-spot the 5 handballs that Chivas got away with, including a much more blatant one in their own PK area minutes after the call against Cann (who could do absolutely nothing about the guy kicking the ball off his arm from not even a foot away). Criminal officiating - not so much bad as suspiciously inconsistent.

If by "well-spotted" you mean "completely ridiculous" then I agree whole heartedly.

I'd love to see what you'd have said if a call like that had gone against Canada.

IMO, good call. Maybe Cann doesn't know much about it, which isn't important anyways, but he makes himself bigger with his hand and block the ball.

If by "well-spotted" you mean "completely ridiculous" then I agree whole heartedly.

I'd love to see what you'd have said if a call like that had gone against Canada.

It was absolutely the right call. He made himself bigger by extending his arm and blocked a shot at net. That's textbook.

Got there in the end. Good to get the three points as a confidence boost heading into playing NYRB, Cruz Azul, NYRB and RSL in the next four games. Won't be able to afford to squander so many chances against those teams if games are going to be won.

Tough set of games ahead but at least you got the job done tonight and claimed all 3 points. Busy busy busy.

A few observations:

When I was watching this game on tape I concentrated on Nane quite a bit and I thought he did pretty well. His technical skills are still inconsistent (leading to some possession losses which can be avoidable, such as with better body position, etc.) but he was quick into the tackle on a number of occasions and create turnovers (unlike Saric). And unlike Sanyang, he didn't have any glaring, almost laughable passing giveaways, generally being good with his distribution. Relative to his early season performances I'll give the big guy credit where credit is due so I hope he can keep it going, considering that he was a pretty maligned guy on this board earlier in the year.

Another heavily maligned guy who was solid out there was ... Garcia! Granted, he had one hiccup when he got the positioning wrong in first half injury time, but he had some strong play in the second half, especially in a 1 v 1 near the end. Also a couple of good passes to in the offensive zone which started some dangerous attacks. The jury will always be out on him but at least today he didn't hurt his cause.

Frei made some quality saves when needed in the second half...again. TFC fans should enjoy his efforts for as long as he is here.

Santos got rolling after the first few minutes and it was too bad about his injury. However, Mista showed some class with his distribution and set up play.

It was absolutely the right call. He made himself bigger by extending his arm and blocked a shot at net. That's textbook.

You make it sound like it was some cunning plan of his. I don't even think he knew the ball was there until it hit his arm, the guy kicking the ball at him was less than a foot away, there was no way he could see the ball coming ahead of time in order to do anything deliberately. The call is ridiculous because the same Ref ignored four much more blatant handballs by Chivas prior to that and then after the PK ignored another handball by Chivas in their own penalty area that was also far more blatant, in each case the ball being fired from a greater distance than the one played against Cann. Once the Ref decided to ignore all of those he can't suddenly decide to call one, presumaby just to make the game more interesting for the sake of tv ratings. That inconsistency is insanely ridiculous.

Regardless of the whole ball to hand issue, I think it's safe to say that it was, rightly or wrongly, a handball call that tends to get made in an MLS context. Agree with BearcatSA that Garcia played reasonably well although he's lucky Braun missed on the diving header just before half-time. He's definitely doing enough not only to keep Hscanovics out of the team but also to prevent finding another left back rather than another wide midfielder from being the key issue during what was left of the transfer window after Mista's arrival. Nane Joseph is doing surprisingly well (although there is plenty of room for further improvement) to the extent that JDG was able to push forward more than he was earlier in the season. The level of criticism that JDG sometimes receives elsewhere borders on farcical, in my opinion. Although it's definitely reasonable to expect a bit more from a DP player making his salary level than we have been seeing he still played very well by MLS standards yesterday. He is a major upgrade on Carl Robinson, who always seemed to me to get an unmerited level of adulation. When JDG, Mista, DeRo and Santos can eventually play together at the same time for a full 90 minutes very good things are liable to happen. Mista should eventually fill the creative void created by the departure of Amado Guevara and along with the arrival of Santos has already helped to turn things around a bit again after the disappointing stretch of results immediately before and after the World Cup break.

Archived