Toronto FC vs Chivas USA - Aug 7th

jpg75

I didn't like him in the outside of the "diamond" they were playing in midfield today. His best spot is as a deeper holding mid (along side a destroyer-type) being entrusted with moving the ball to the more creative offensive types. Also from that position, he can ghost up and support the attack when and as needed, like Beckerman at his best. Mind you, I think the RSL man makes about an a seventh of the total dough JDG gets paid, but it is what it is. As well, I'm not sure how things would turn out for the team if they had to play any two of Saric, Sanyang, or Nane in central midfield for an extended period of time in the absence of JDG.

2-1 now after a well-spotted Cann handball.

Boy does your anti-TFC bias ever show in so many of your posts. Even when you are trying to pass yourself off as objective. The Chivas guy was something like three feet away. Cann's arms were to his side. If thats not "Ball to hand" then what is.

I don't really care for TFC. They're not my home team. Big deal. I still wanted them to win this game. 2-1 probably ended up being a fair result that reflected the run of play, as Frei bailed them out on 3 of 4 instances.

But as for the play in question, I've seen so many times the last few years in matches around the world, but especially in MLS, that a shot on target (which it would have been) that hits an arm that is extended (which it was, partially) in the penalty area more often than not gets called. Of course there was one glaring example at the other end, but missing a call at one end doesn't mean you shouldn't make the right call at the other. Ball-to-hand is an excuse refs can use for handballs that wouldn't have directly impacted the play but in this instance it had to be called.

If it had been Nick Garcia or Marvell Wynne (as was the case on more than one occasion last year) instead of the likeable and surprisingly solid Cann, people wouldn't be so quick to cut them slack.

Boy does your anti-TFC bias ever show in so many of your posts. Even when you are trying to pass yourself off as objective. The Chivas guy was something like three feet away. Cann's arms were to his side. If thats not "Ball to hand" then what is.

Am I anti-Toronto? Because I think this was the right call as Cann arm doesn't seem to be "to his side" and clearly block the ball. It's tough on Cann but you got a call this.

Anyways, TFC won so it doesn't really matter.

Maybe I've been watching different games than everybody else, but I thought JDG had been excellent over the last week.
Work rate wise he was strong, especially in the crucial second half in Honduras when the club needed it the most to solidify the result. However I still see a guy pressing with his playmaking, trying to force a killer pass each time he has the ball as opposed to the guy I see at his best in the MNT shirt where he is more patient in keeping the passing rhythm and less forceful with a low percentage pass, but that's just my opinion and maybe I'm just way off base.

Am I anti-Toronto? Because I think this was the right call as Cann arm doesn't seem to be "to his side" and clearly block the ball. It's tough on Cann but you got a call this.

Anyways, TFC won so it doesn't really matter.

But I wasn't responding to anything you had stated. Anyways about the call, I just saw it again a few minutes ago, I was wrong when I said he was three feet away, it was more like inches. How is Cann suppose to avoid that?

Toronto FC v Chivas Post Game Video Blog

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/08/chivas-post-game/

Some post game thoughts from Toronto FC's victory this weekend at home against Chivas USA. In this episode I explain why Chad Barrett has arrived, that Stefan Frei is now definitely in the running for team MVP, and I tee up the TFC game away this week against the New York Red Bulls.

Comments always welcome

Archived