FC Edmonton - Edmonton Supporters Group Discussion

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry about trying to buy a black and blue flag like that. If its just a simple four squares, it'd most likely be way cheaper to buy the fabric and put it together from there. Were you picturing a two pole flag or a larger one to wave?

I was thinking a three pannel one, similar to the Dutch flag but in FCE colours with either "ESG" in the middle, or "FC EDMONTON".

Still have to buy the Alberta flag... it on my to-do list for the next two weeks.

it is always more satisfying if you design and make a flag yourself! the end product may not be as good looking, but the time you spent doing it only shows how much you care about the team.

Ya know I've been looking for any advice or "how to" manuals online about banner and flag making... any advice for a rookie Football Supporter?

I wouldn't worry about trying to buy a black and blue flag like that. If its just a simple four squares, it'd most likely be way cheaper to buy the fabric and put it together from there. Were you picturing a two pole flag or a larger one to wave?

I was thinking a three pannel one, similar to the Dutch flag but in FCE colours with either "ESG" in the middle, or "FC EDMONTON".

Still have to buy the Alberta flag... it on my to-do list for the next two weeks.

Hit up your local MLA and MP for flags, they usually have some lying about.

Ya know I've been looking for any advice or "how to" manuals online about banner and flag making... any advice for a rookie Football Supporter?

One trick that was used in the early days of RPB that seemed quite clever at the time (not directly involved due to being based in London rather than Toronto) was to use a slide projector to place the image of the banner onto the fabric to be painted so the design could be quickly traced out making the painting part much easier.

Thanks guys. Being new-er-ish here I wasn't in on any of the national games in Edmonton and have no experience in flag or banner making.

I saw a couple videos that RPB posted on making signs or the making of some of the larger tifos. Really liked them, though I was worried about the type of paint used, and any cracking of the paint or the paint falling off if cheap fabric and paint is used.

It's just basic sewing. Really nothing special about flags.

Sewing is an option.

There is also the melty tape stuff.

You can quickly bind together fabric into larger sheets, make a sheath for a pipe ect... with a hot iron really quickly.

It's strong. Nearly all the TFC/Canada flags are made this way and some of them are pushing four years old and surviving.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info and advice. Hopefully I can make something decent!

On anothe topic: breaking news, GM Mel K is gone! Apparently he resigned today. So for those in the know, is this a good thing (potentially getting someone with more soccer experience) or a bad thing (rats off a sinking ship etc)?

I'm torn.

On the one hand, Mel K is... um, checkered as a soccer mind. He may well have been pushed by the Faths who got a good look at how badly he was running the ship. Notice how, in the articles discussing Kowalchuk's resignation, the Faths are quite open that the season ticket sales are weaker than expected, whereas when Kowalchuk was in place the party line was that sales were going very well but they couldn't divulge any numbers or specific information.

On the other hand, the last thing FC Edmonton needs is an excuse for nay-sayers to leap up and say "HA! See! Mickey Mouse organization!"

I'm torn.

On the one hand, Mel K is... um, checkered as a soccer mind. He may well have been pushed by the Faths who got a good look at how badly he was running the ship. Notice how, in the articles discussing Kowalchuk's resignation, the Faths are quite open that the season ticket sales are weaker than expected, whereas when Kowalchuk was in place the party line was that sales were going very well but they couldn't divulge any numbers or specific information.

On the other hand, the last thing FC Edmonton needs is an excuse for nay-sayers to leap up and say "HA! See! Mickey Mouse organization!"

Gotcha. I was thinking people may think its a little less mickey mouse since mel's departure, but I only have peoples opinions from these boards to go off of.

I'm glad the Faths are showing some transparency.. It will be a nice change of pace.

Glad he's gone. He's never made it work before after countless tries. I cringe everytime I see Petrones name, Mel's name or Ross Ongaro's name connected with pro soccer in Edmonton. They might be swell guys, and have the purest intentions but they lose and the soccer community loses every single time they are a part of the pro system.

cool thanks. Ya they "announced" that on the main page in the write up promoting the game.

Good to hear that they improved. It was pretty cool to see some new pictures on the facebook page as well. Just need a multimedia section on a new revamped webpage and we'd be rolling.

EDIT: They posted a nice little summery on the fcedmonton.com for ya Thursday. Its a nice little look at how the team is doing. Plus they've signed 19 players apparently and are giving another 5 a look at camp.

Bearing in mind that this was FC Edmonton's first tuneup with a new squad but FC Dallas is approaching the end of their pre-season, 3-0 sounds reasonable to me.

On the other hand, this was a long, long way from Dallas's best eleven. The FC Dallas starting lineup was:

GK: Chris Seitz (30 career MLS games)

DF: Moises Hernandez (0), Zach Loyd (24), Scott Gordon (0), Bobby Warshaw (0)

MF: Charlie Campbell (0), Peri Marošević (4), Andrew Jacobson (42), Ricardo Villar (0*),

FW: Andrew Wideman (0), Ruben Luna (4)

* - significant overseas international experience

No match report yet on the FC Dallas website, though they've generally been pretty prompt at writing up every little game.

Glad he's gone. He's never made it work before after countless tries. I cringe everytime I see Petrones name, Mel's name or Ross Ongaro's name connected with pro soccer in Edmonton. They might be swell guys, and have the purest intentions but they lose and the soccer community loses every single time they are a part of the pro system.

Took too long. But Fath'll turn it around, he's a patient dude. I can pretty much guarantee whomever they go after will have some recent pro soccer management experience and be a seasoned pro.

Archived