FC Edmonton - Edmonton Supporters Group Discussion

To all the Edmonton V's,

As I mentioned in the other FC Edm thread, I would like to help set the wheels in motion to start a supporters group for the club. I have communicated and been contacted by a few individuals who work with the club, who want to meet and discuss overall opinions including website development, content, relationships between club and supporter groups as well as general questions about the future of the club. The club is aware of some of concerns listed in the other thread, as they do read the V's board.

Before we meet with the team representatives, I am suggesting we get our ducks in a row and get interested individuals together for some introductions and discussions. River_City (Sergio) and myself were debating whether to get a group of guys together for the Argentina v. Canada on Monday (E&C, 1:00 PM?) . I am going to be in Montreal until Monday morning, so if that doesnt work, perhaps we can choose a time later in the week. Please let me know what works for you.

I would like to get an email list going for the yet to be named FC Edmonton Supporters Group. I will also start a Facebook Group, as I am sure there are people in Edmonton who aren't V's who would like to get involved - we will keep it private for now and launch public once we are more established. I believe Sergio had an Edmonton V's mailing list, and we can go from there. Send me a PM with your contact info (name/email) and I can invite you to the group on Facebook as well.

The club is also willing to give us a representative at upcoming press conferences (not sure what this entails - would need to get further details).

I will be away from my computer until Monday so I won't be able to respond until then.

Cheers,

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Family commitments wont allow me to be a totally active member but I would like to be on the emailing list. (I'll have a house full of Kids at 1.00pm on Monday:(-all watching the Game:D)

A number of people in my workplace are showing significant intrested in how things are developing, as are my kids cohort at school (but not at this fan base level) I'd like to be able to keep them abreast of things an assit with Rumour Control if i can.:D

I'm still good on 'Foote Soldiers' by the way.:cool:

As for the CFB Game. Will we be seeing flyers in the Press?

Though I'm new, I would love to be a part of this. I've been cheering for TFC ever since their inaugural game, but not that I'm here I'm ready to switch sides. :P

Not been in Canada long myself (under two years) but the TFC is hard to emotionaly invest in from this far away. If you get to see a team live you find the bond begins quite quickly. Swiching sides however....ooh eer?

Not been in Canada long myself (under two years) but the TFC is hard to emotionaly invest in from this far away. If you get to see a team live you find the bond begins quite quickly. Swiching sides however....ooh eer?

I've actually recently moved to Edmonton from London Ontario. So I've been to a handful of TFC games which is exactly why I've become a huge fan of them. I'm hoping that we can create something similar here. A good supporters group can be huge to the success and draw of a team.

Although I've been lurking for a while I haven't posted until now... just wanted to add my name to the 'interested' list for a FCE supporters group. I'm living in the UK at the moment (Norwich...go City! League One champion...wohooo!), but hope to be moving home in the summer at some point. Good to hear some ground work for a group is already being done... I'll keep an eye out for any meetings when (if) I move home.

I'll not abandon TFC that easily. Sorry. When no one else was stepping up and providing something approximating a proper club in this nation, they did. So they're my main club.

I'll support Edmonton as my NASL club but am not planning on attending much until NASL clubs start show they have at least an inkling of how to service those supporters groups. Right now, they don't, and it's not an "organic" process where they'll slowly over time start doing it right. THey'll either wake up one day to reality, or their franchise will die out. But I'm not backing out on my club, local or not, until someone here demonstrates the proper effort, expertise and respect for the game.

• 2 weeks later...

The club has asked me for numbers are they are going to set a supporters section aside for us for both the Foote and Commonwealth Matches (standing only). What I need everyone to do is to confirm to me if you will be attending the June 16th match, as well as future matches, and if you will be purchasing a ticket pack for all the matches this year?

Could you please let me know ASAP?

Unfortunately I can't make this first one, but I am planning on coming for the ColoColo match. I'd love to see Pompey (or whatever's left of them) but I'm not sure I'd be able to make that one either (blasted job!) Looking forward to the development of the SG in Edmonton, along with the club. There's been a lot of negativity (Lord Bob!!!) surrounding things regarding the club lately, so it's good to get some insider info every once in a while to know that the club isn't really a ticking time bomb.

The club has asked me for numbers are they are going to set a supporters section aside for us for both the Foote and Commonwealth Matches (standing only). What I need everyone to do is to confirm to me if you will be attending the June 16th match, as well as future matches, and if you will be purchasing a ticket pack for all the matches this year?

Could you please let me know ASAP?

Sent you a PM.

There's been a lot of negativity (Lord Bob!!!) surrounding things regarding the club lately, so it's good to get some insider info every once in a while to know that the club isn't really a ticking time bomb.

I prefer "well-jaded cynicism".

Well tomorrow is our first match. I have been extremely swamped at work and haven't been able to co-ordinate much.

What I can tell you is this:

-We will have a designated supporters section - a few rows of bleachers on the field

-Look for the Edmonton supporters group sign and head there to get your tickets. If the guys at the booth have no idea what you are talking about - ask for me (my name is Shawn IRL) and they should be able to get a hold of me. I should be there around 6:00PM tomorrow.

-The club may have a select number of FC Edm T-Shirts for sale tomorrow for us to purchase - no word on scarves or jerseys or the like, which is disappointing - I am basically begging them to take my money for scarves, but nothing yet

-Tell as many people as you can, and be ready to be loud

Hope to see you all tomorrow, and make sure you say hi. Would be nice to put some face to usernames.

3-0 for FC Edmonton ok crowd the general admission crowd was doing the wave the small supporter group made some noise in the corner wasn't a sold out crowd but hey it was a good game and people had fun but not enough merchandise

Well... the inaugural meeting of the "Edmonton Supporters Group" went pretty well. When I got there, RiverCity and Carl_Valentine were already working on our first banner. As expected our group was small... there was basically 6 of us at the beginning of the match. After a bit of a rocky start we started to find a bit of a groove and things went much better in the second half. Somehow one of the ball-boys moms ended up sitting in our section and thought RiverCity was going to get us arrested for yelling at the ref... <sigh> we've got a long way to go...

Still, not bad for a first time out. We had fun anyway. By the end of the match our ranks had swelled to 12 people (not counting the soccer mom) and included CMT player, Eddy Sidra. Nice of the players to give us a bit of a nod at the end.

The game itself was fun... final score 3-0 Edmonton FC. The Montreal keeper was red-carded right near the end of the game for handling the ball out of the box.

Archived