FC Edmonton - Edmonton Supporters Group Discussion

http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2011/03/fc-dallas-dominates-desert

FC Edmonton - Rein Baart (Jazz Grill 46), John Jonke (Niko Saler 46), Andre Duberry (Paul Hamilton 46), Paul Matthijs (Shawn Pi 46), Niko John (Antonio Arango 46), Dominic Oppong (Will Beague 46), Chris Kooy (Shawn Chin 46), Chris Lemire (Alex Semenets 46), Kyle Yamada (Shawn Saiko 46), Jerome Baker (Mutunda Kwesele 46), Paul Craig (Daniel Antoinuk 46).

"Nineteen players have signed with FC Edmonton so far and the team is taking a look at five other trialists during training camp" I count 22 from the names on the in-game roster. I tried to correct the names as best I could

http://www.fcedmonton.com/content/fc-edmonton-gets-preseason-ball-rolling

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh.. Would have been nice for FC Dallas to at least get the players names right...

Rein Boart? Jazz Grill? Paul Math?

Still, good result for the boys against a major league reserve team.

EDIT:

Just read the latest 24th Min... Duane is bashing FCE something fierce...

Meh, even if he is, its always fun to have a little bit of hype leading up to a game. Especially since the majority seem to think that the initial stage of the V Cup will be FCE vs TFC for the next few years. Creates a bit of a competative environment for us newbs in Edmonton!

20 years old, born in Kiev but moved to Mississauga when he was eight. Nice attacking midfielder who's played a fair bit of forward, particularly with the U-20 MNT. Left-footer, small guy and not that fast but shifty and so smart for his age; it was frankly kinda frightening to watch him at the USL PDL level because he was thinking two steps ahead of half his teammates. He also has a very powerful shot with that left foot and excellent playmaking instincts. I like seeing him most as an attacking left winger simply because of that playmaking ability and because his combination of small size and lack-of-speed means that he's not in great position as a forward; he can definitely do it, though.

I know him from the Whitecaps Residency team, where he was one of their leading players and got a couple of sniffs with the senior side. I've been a big fan of Semenets's since forever, but even I'll admit that he's probably not MLS quality yet. When the Whitecaps cut him, I was desperately hoping that he'd be able to catch on somewhere else professionally. His potential is definitely MNT-level.

Anyone else notice the site is being updated with news every day now? Hmmm, the guy with the money on the line takes over his team and suddenly productivity goes up....Conincendence? I suspect not.

http://www.fcedmonton.com/content/defender-has-sights-set-nasl-home-opener

I noticed that as well.. The team roster is updated almost daily and I was really impressed with latest article that Andreas posted. I don't want to blame it all on Mel though... It is less than a month to the first game, so there is a lot more info floating around out there. But I wouldn't doubt that the departure may have something to do with it.

On an unrelated topic, talking randomly to a customer at work yesterday, I actually met someone that's not a soccer nerd that had heard of FC Edmonton (granted he was a sports freak...). Now if only the team would post some ads around town, the mainstream might actually start buying tickets.

I noticed that as well.. The team roster is updated almost daily and I was really impressed with latest article that Andreas posted. I don't want to blame it all on Mel though... It is less than a month to the first game, so there is a lot more info floating around out there. But I wouldn't doubt that the departure may have something to do with it.

On an unrelated topic, talking randomly to a customer at work yesterday, I actually met someone that's not a soccer nerd that had heard of FC Edmonton (granted he was a sports freak...). Now if only the team would post some ads around town, the mainstream might actually start buying tickets.

I know they've hired a soccer marketing company to get the word out but am of mixed opinion, as the principal of the company in question has had good results (Tampa Bay) and very bad results (Baltimore, Dallas). It's an effort though, so here's hoping.

I know they've hired a soccer marketing company to get the word out but am of mixed opinion, as the principal of the company in question has had good results (Tampa Bay) and very bad results (Baltimore, Dallas). It's an effort though, so here's hoping.

That was quite awhile ago though.. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm a big fan of the articles and the postings that are going on right now.. I mean they even posted the starting 11 for tonights pre-season game! That's about 10000 times better than last year, when you had no clue who was playing.

I'm very glad to see the improvements. In regards to the guy they got to come in, if its Drew, he's a pretty cool guy.. Can't say much other than he responds to pretty much every suggestion and request I've sent him, though the answers are sometimes the usual "its coming soon".

I drove past a truck today that had a Seattle Sounders decal and a soccer ball decal, and I remember passing it on the way to the city in the past. I hope that dude gets excited about F.C. Edmonton.

Nothing in the journal or sun for weeks... Makes you wonder. Hope things pick up.

Not true... There was write ups for the pre-season games, but you had to look REALLY hard to find them. Today's Edmonton Journal I can confirm for sure. You have to go to the stats pages, and on the left-hand side, at the bottom (where there was a equally small write up about Man U) there is a brief summery for the game, including who scored for Edmonton.

So I was reading over the wikipedia entry for FC Edmonton, and noticed that the team has somehow been given a new nickname... "The Monties"

Anyone have ANY clue where this came from? I know we talked about the Eddies on this forum, but I've NEVER read anything anywhere about "The Monties".

THE MONTIES!

Shurley Shum Mishtake!

Were not going to be compared to a slightly rotund, ageing scottish golfer are we with a tendancy for beligerant grumpiness?

Either that or someone has a really poor spellchecker routine. If thats the case then I think Her majesty's RCMP already have 'first dibs' on that name.

Anyway out of intrest on the nickname front... How are we! How are we! How are we? etc.

Niko Saler called up the U-20 Camp in Florida? Or is it U-23. The FCE article states they're preparing for Olympic Qualifiers... so that's U-23 but they state U-20...I'm lost.

He was born in 1992, so not much help there. Could be the U-23's but because he's younger Andreas wrote U-20's?

• 2 weeks later...

NASL has a new website... Looks WAY better than what they used to have. Way more professional. Fort Lauderdale also has released their new logo, which looks better than the script they were working with before.

nasl.com

FC Edmonton has also started an online ticket sales for individual tickets too. Gen Admission is $23 while reserved seating is $28.

http://fcedmontontickets.com/Vs-Montreal&Tickets

Wow! Those tickets are expensive!

Agreed. Masster, how much were tickets in the Southside at Swangard last year?

VWFC Cheapest Seat: $20. MLS, enough said. Cheapest season ticket is $319, $330 in Edmonton for a lesser league.

IMFC Cheapest Seat: $15.25. IMFC play in a Soccer Specific stadium with a grass pitch and no American football markings. A much superior football experience, for much cheaper.

I'm not expecting much this season, attendance wise after seeing the pricing structure. Hopefully the results on the pitch are great and we get people out to watch a winner, regardless of price.

Has to be a mistake. It will be at Commmonwealth.

Yeah, I know this, but will the random person purchasing tickets know this? He would just assume that the official team site actually, you know, knows where the game is going to take place.

Hopefully FCE catches this error soon.

Archived