FC Edmonton - Edmonton Supporters Group Discussion

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there guys. I've been following the upstart ESG a bit on this forum but haven't posted much so far. I've been living in the UK for the past year and so unfortunately haven't been able to come to any of the matches, but I'll be there with bells on next year for sure. I was speaking to my brother on the phone today (he had a 'season' pass, but sits on the other side) and asked if he had noticed ESG and your noise-making efforts. He had, and in fact he was very impressed about how you managed to make so much noise for most of the matches...in fact he was wondering if the club was giving you free beer to keep up your energy levels! So good work, lads. Count me in for next season for sure. I'll be moving back home in a couple of weeks, so if you've got any off season pints planned let me know.

I watched the game at work... Was pretty cool to be able to hear the ESG! (BTW, someone brought Bagpipes?!?!? Sweet!)

A few comments: I tried to meet up with people after I was done work at 11, but I wasn't sure where everyone (if you guys stayed as a group) was going. Does the ESG have a specific bar to meet up at after games?

-Awesome shot of the ESG is on the FCE website right now... Congrats to the ones that are pictured there!

- Really looking forward to meeting up with everyone during the off season and planning out next year. It was good to see the boys hold their own against a team they'll be playing next year. I'm looking forward to having season tickets (which rasies another question, how are we going to plan to get those, or is there going to be a way for the ESG to get them all together?) and will be booking all the days off at the beginning of summer so I don't run into the same situation as I did this year where I only made 2 games.

Should be a great winter of promoting the team, planning next season's tom-foolery and drinking beer.

he was very impressed about how you managed to make so much noise for most of the matches...in fact he was wondering if the club was giving you free beer to keep up your energy levels!

No free beer. I really hope FC Edmonton never tries gimmicks to sell pro soccer. I personally despise sports marketing gimmicks like cheerleaders, mascots, free tickets to people who could care less. No gimmicks just a good soccer team and sufficient advertising should be enough to get a sell out at foote field.

I wouldn't want free beer either. I think the club should pinch it's pennies on things of that nature and concentrate on paying coaches and players, and advertising well.

from http://www.fcedmonton.com/content/fc-edmonton-finishes-exhibition-season-hard-fought-draw

"After an even match and a 1-1 draw, the final whistle blew and brought an end to FC Edmonton’s first exhibition season. The fans walked off the pitch to a thunderous ovation from the Foote Field fans. "

So the Edmonton Supporters Group has their own supporters group?? :-p

I wouldn't want free beer either. I think the club should pinch it's pennies on things of that nature and concentrate on paying coaches and players, and advertising well.

I wouldn't say no to reduced price beer! When I was there last it was $6.50/can of beer... thats a little steep. Hopefully if they can reduce the prices a little next year and still turn a profit!

Apparently FCE will be testing a live stream of the game tomorrow. They say no guarantees it will work.

http://fcedmonton.com/videofeed

I caught the last few minutes of the game. The crowd looked good and seemed to be making noise. The stream was already 10 times better than some of the crap we have seen in the NASL this past year. I am looking forward to my trip to Edmonton for next season's Voyageur's Cup match already!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder if Vancouver could work out some kind of loan agreement with FC Edmonton, regarding players such as Ethan Gage and Randy Edwini-Bonsu, two Alberta boys who are obviously D2 capable, but are not MLS ready, yet too good for PDL.

And players who are getting too old for PDL such Alexandre Morfaw, Alex Elliot and Jonathan McDonald, but obviously in need of further development. Especially if they're under contract anyway.

I wonder if Vancouver could work out some kind of loan agreement with FC Edmonton, regarding players such as Ethan Gage and Randy Edwini-Bonsu, two Alberta boys who are obviously D2 capable, but are not MLS ready, yet too good for PDL.

And players who are getting too old for PDL such Alexandre Morfaw, Alex Elliot and Jonathan McDonald, but obviously in need of further development. Especially if they're under contract anyway.

That's what the MLS Reserve League is for.

• 3 weeks later...

hey all,

Just was going through the FCE forums today, and there was a post a few days ago with some information. Just thought I'd post it here.

@Darktee and @jmcfadzen we're mostly looking for volunteers to help during the summer for game day operations, but we are also potentially going to need some more people during the Holiday season to help out at booths. We are also always willing to review potential volunteers if they are interested in helping out in other areas of the FC Edmonton. It's best if you can send in your info in through that volunteer form and the office can contact you if there's an area they need the help in. @jmcfadzen, apologies for that but it was probably just that we had enough volunteers at that time to carry us through the rest of the season. We will definitely need more volunteers for next year when we're going to be in a full season.

Also jmcfadzen, good news on the website is that we're actually currently working on a complete redesign of the site which we will be rolling out within the next couple of months. As for season tickets, with the NASL still in the sanctioning process, we still have quite a few details to work out, including things such as the league deciding on the total number of games for next year. The USSF Division 2 season just finished last week and the NASL AGM is next week, so we will continue sending out season ticket information as we get more areas finalized.

[updated on: Wed, 03 November 2010 13:03]

Nice to see they'll be redesigning the site completely, and that the team is still working on getting everything finalized for next season.

• 4 weeks later...
Frustrating. I know that there are a few teams who have already started selling tickets, or at least are taking deposits. Would have been nice (and good for the team) to start getting some cash coming in for the holiday season.

Montreal hasn't started selling tickets for next season. Maybe some teams are taking deposits but I doubt anyone is selling tickets yet until the teams and schedules get completely confirmed.

Montreal hasn't started selling tickets for next season. Maybe some teams are taking deposits but I doubt anyone is selling tickets yet until the teams and schedules get completely confirmed.

Some have. Carolina for one has been selling next season tickets since October, and they just ended some promotion to get an extra season seat free. I don't know all the details, but go to their site.

EDIT: Minnesota too. http://www.nscminnesota.org/tickets/season_tickets/index_E.html

Some have. Carolina for one has been selling next season tickets since October, and they just ended some promotion to get an extra season seat free. I don't know all the details, but go to their site.

EDIT: Minnesota too. http://www.nscminnesota.org/tickets/season_tickets/index_E.html

I stand corrected. A check on the NASL site shows that things are a little further ahead than I thought. It seems there will be a 28 game evenly balanced schedule next year with each team playing another team 4 times. A few of the early dates have already been anounced so a tentative schedule has probably already been put together.

Archived