FC Edmonton - Edmonton Supporters Group Discussion

Agreed. Masster, how much were tickets in the Southside at Swangard last year?

VWFC Cheapest Seat: $20. MLS, enough said. Cheapest season ticket is $319, $330 in Edmonton for a lesser league.

IMFC Cheapest Seat: $15.25. IMFC play in a Soccer Specific stadium with a grass pitch and no American football markings. A much superior football experience, for much cheaper.

I'm not expecting much this season, attendance wise after seeing the pricing structure. Hopefully the results on the pitch are great and we get people out to watch a winner, regardless of price.

I think the cheapest seat at the box office last year was $20, but with your season tickets it was around $15. What made the deal even better, was that your season seats included tickets to the women's games as well. If you didn't want them, you could trade in those tickets for extra tickets to the mens matches. Plus, the Whitecaps had a never waste a ticket program, so that if you couldn't attend one game, you could trade in those tickets for another game.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not expecting much this season, attendance wise after seeing the pricing structure. Hopefully the results on the pitch are great and we get people out to watch a winner, regardless of price.

Hopefully is right. If they can at least put together a winning record, and with the Oilers dead last and Eskimos looking shaky this year, I can see the marketing now: "Come see a pro team in Edmonton with a winning record!"

I like the price of the tickets.

A. Edmontonians have that kind of cash easily. It is cheaper then every other form of entertainment we have in the city. God, twenty three bucks to have three hours of entertainment.

B. If we sold out Foote at twenty bucks a pop, and at five thousand, five hundred seats... Hmmm that is $1,540,000. Jesus Christ! That is less money then they lost last year. That is the cost of pro sports. For Christ's sake, it costs thirteen bucks to watch the Spruce Grove Saints play.

C. People will take it a harder look at it, if it takes itself seriously. Right now FC Edmonton is striding in the room and making eye contact with everyone. Charging a real price for a professional product is what needs to be done. Almost everyone has been impressed with the signings we have made so far, and these guys are professional athletes, and a fat nerd makes more money than any of them. I spend $75 a ticket to see the Alberta Ballet. The Jubilee Auditorium has limited seating and they need to cover production costs. I want to see FC Edmonton next year, And the year after. $1,540,000 isn't enough money to run a professional sports team, and I doubt self regulating themselves down to the PDL is in their objectives.

D. Be happy that we are smarter then all of those MLS teams that have never, ever, EVER, turned a profit. I know the reason the tickets to Dynamo and Rapids are so cheap. Because groveling helps franchises. No wait, wait it f**king doesn't

http://fcedmontontickets.com/Vs-Toronto14

"Venue: Foote Field"

Um, really?

That would be smarter. I mean it. paint over the lines. Cost: a couple grand maybe? Pay-off 5,500 fans excited about pro soccer in Edmonton, and on their home field before kicking off a season of NASL home games. Commonwealth costs eighty grand just to book it for one time. That doesn't include all sorts of extra expenses that go with it. I bet they get Foote Field for a night at the peelers and a few pints. Maybe keeping the hidden cams in the girls dorm a secret? Who knows, but it doesn't cost $80,000.

Another thing about the prices. $23 is what you pay for three pints at the Elephant & Castle as you drool on the table wishing we had pro soccer. Would any of you trade three beers for a game to see YOUR team play? I would. It works out to what $23 every two and a half weeks. I sponsor children, and I don't even flinch at the tiny $35 a month. For a couple of reasons. I make a good living in northern Alberta, and I do it because it matters to me. Do you think I joined these forums because I don't give a shut about FC Edmonton?

I have been using these prices as a selling point.

freind: "Twenty bucks for general seating!"

me: " Yeah dude. That is the price for professional sports."

friend: "Wow pro soccer in Edmonton."

We live in a unique culture in northern Alberta. Where higher prices mean a better product in most people's minds even though... Why would you stand in a line to get in a club with snooty ***** girls, overtly expensive drinks, and horrible, horrible euro-pop?

But that price emphasizes my point. We have a pro team. WE HAVE A FREAKING PRO TEAM! Less then thirty bucks a ticket! No way that is awesome! It is Edmonton, I just spent half the price of an FC Edmonton ticket at a fast food drive through. $23 to an Edmontonian is what? Like $4.50 to a Texan? Our cost of living makes those tickets laughable. Stop comparing them. And I heard that the Whitecaps weren't profitable at Swanguard. They weren't a money pit by any means, but they weren't a cash machine either. They could make the step up to the MLS, and so they did. Extremely smart move.

Another thing about the prices. $23 is what you pay for three pints at the Elephant & Castle as you drool on the table wishing we had pro soccer. Would any of you trade three beers for a game to see YOUR team play? I would. It works out to what $23 every two and a half weeks. I sponsor children, and I don't even flinch at the tiny $35 a month. For a couple of reasons. I make a good living in northern Alberta, and I do it because it matters to me. Do you think I joined these forums because I don't give a shut about FC Edmonton?

We live in a unique culture in northern Alberta. Where higher prices mean a better product in most people's minds even though... Why would you stand in a line to get in a club with snooty ***** girls, overtly expensive drinks, and horrible, horrible euro-pop?

But that price emphasizes my point. We have a pro team. WE HAVE A FREAKING PRO TEAM! Less then thirty bucks a ticket! No way that is awesome! It is Edmonton, I just spent half the price of an FC Edmonton ticket at a fast food drive through. $23 to an Edmontonian is what? Like $4.50 to a Texan? Our cost of living makes those tickets laughable. Stop comparing them. And I heard that the Whitecaps weren't profitable at Swanguard. They weren't a money pit by any means, but they weren't a cash machine either. They could make the step up to the MLS, and so they did. Extremely smart move.

Totally agree, and love the passion man. I honestly thought it was a deal when I heard the price. Its 16 tickets for a good price, plus a(nother) scarf. While the eskies may charge less, I'm closer to the field and in a venue with less people. I'm hopeful that the prices won't change a ton over the next few years too, avoiding the complaining we've heard from both Toronto and Vancouver (and just wait til Montreal is expected to pay MLS prices!). If MLS is the eventual goal for Edmonton (regardless if its plausable or not, just going for the sake of argument here), might as well get people used to the prices now. For 330-400 a season, or 23-28 a game, there's no reason why they can't fill foote. I still think that if they sell to college kids for 17-20 a ticket, they'd be competative with the Eskimos and would get a great atmosphere.

Hey I want as many people in there as possible.. Just means I can win more on the 50/50!

I disagree completely. We are going to pay $20, $30, $40, whatever for tickets. Passionate supporters don't care about the ticket price, they will be there regardless, rain, snow, shine, and there are, what, 10 of us? It's going to discourage the average Joe from coming. Hell, I can't even convince 80% of my soccer playing pals, or the "die hard wake up at 5:00AM to watch Burnley vs Wolves" friends to come out to a match. Paying $23 bucks to watch "pro" soccer, when they grew up playing with half our roster? It's going to be difficult.

Foreverthursday, I encourage you to check out the EDSA Mini World Cup that is just getting underway. MINI WORLD CUP SCHEDULE I'll be at a number of matches, probably all of the India matches as I have a number of friends on the team. The quality of play is quite high, in fact, our own Canadian Mens National team player, Eddy Sidra, played on Team India in this tournament a few years ago.

Wait until you see the passion and atmosphere in the stands as the tournament progresses. This is the exact demographic and atmosphere we need at Foote Field. A good idea would have been to have a $10-$15 "standing room only, college corner, supporters area" type section, letting people know that they are encouraged to sing, chant, stand up and jump around for 90 minutes.

That would be smarter. I mean it. paint over the lines. Cost: a couple grand maybe? Pay-off 5,500 fans excited about pro soccer in Edmonton, and on their home field before kicking off a season of NASL home games. Commonwealth costs eighty grand just to book it for one time. That doesn't include all sorts of extra expenses that go with it. I bet they get Foote Field for a night at the peelers and a few pints. Maybe keeping the hidden cams in the girls dorm a secret? Who knows, but it doesn't cost $80,000.

Whether it would be smarter to paint over the lines at Foote Field is up for debate, but I think we can agree that it is not smart to have the wrong venue for the match listed on the team website less than a month before kickoff.

I disagree completely. We are going to pay $20, $30, $40, whatever for tickets. Passionate supporters don't care about the ticket price, they will be there regardless, rain, snow, shine, and there are, what, 10 of us? It's going to discourage the average Joe from coming. Hell, I can't even convince 80% of my soccer playing pals, or the "die hard wake up at 5:00AM to watch Burnley vs Wolves" friends to come out to a match. Paying $23 bucks to watch "pro" soccer, when they grew up playing with half our roster? It's going to be difficult.

Foreverthursday, I encourage you to check out the EDSA Mini World Cup that is just getting underway. MINI WORLD CUP SCHEDULE I'll be at a number of matches, probably all of the India matches as I have a number of friends on the team. The quality of play is quite high, in fact, our own Canadian Mens National team player, Eddy Sidra, played on Team India in this tournament a few years ago.

Wait until you see the passion and atmosphere in the stands as the tournament progresses. This is the exact demographic and atmosphere we need at Foote Field. A good idea would have been to have a $10-$15 "standing room only, college corner, supporters area" type section, letting people know that they are encouraged to sing, chant, stand up and jump around for 90 minutes.

Will those friends ever accept FC Edmonton? Or are you trying to sell Green Day and The Offspring to punks who like Leftover Crack, Choking Victim, and 90lb. Wuss as something they would like? I say keep the prices and sell them to companies. We might not always fill Foote, but at least all the tickets were sold.

So not to change the subject, but there seems to be a pretty good article written by Terry Jones that hopefully will be in the Edmonton Sun tomorrow (don't have the link cuse I'm on my phone right now). Its a pretty fair article and goes over how there haven't been much sales for season tickets, but Tom Fath acknowledges it. It also differentiates between hockey and soccer with the kit sponser. Hopefully it'll raise some more awareness for the team, especially since the Oilers season is pretty much over, and there's not much news to report there until the free agent signing frenzy in July.

EDIT: Found it... plus an article written today for the Journal talking about the Lam bros and the earthquake in Japan.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Japanese+earthquake+shook+Edmonton+soccer+player/4538034/story.html

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/columnists/terry_jones/2011/03/31/17830396.html

^ I find Terry's articles to be fair and to the most part positive. Strangley I feel as if I have gained more information on the TFC game from that one article than from all my fishing around on the FCE website.

Still $25 bucks for a wednesday night walk-up to a TFC game, cant complain at that. Hopefully the 10 day push will help with the marketing. Time for us to try and ask Mr Mandel of he's going to turn up, when he hits the airwaves for his CBC radio slot for this comming month.

Man... I love the press the club got today.. I didn't read the Sun, but I assume that the article that was online last night was printed in it, nice header in the Journal's sports section leading into a nice half page picture and article opposite the Oilers woes on page 2, front page picture and good write up on page 3 of the Metro (that free paper). Awesome awesome coverage, and combined with the presale deal, I'm optomistic about sales. Plus someone posted a pic on the facebook page with the ad they're running, and it looks super professional.

I'm pumped. I'm even willing to over-look the cheap tickets as a way to drive up sales. I knwo that this means that the team will probably take a hit on this game, but hopefully it'll bring people back for the regular season.

I'm pumped. I'm even willing to over-look the cheap tickets as a way to drive up sales. I knwo that this means that the team will probably take a hit on this game, but hopefully it'll bring people back for the regular season.

I don't really think $25 is cheap. For context, the Eskimos average around $22 to $25 of ticket revenue per seat.

So I kind of think that is what the market will bear for outdoor sports in Commonwealth Stadium.

I don't really think $25 is cheap. For context, the Eskimos average around $22 to $25 of ticket revenue per seat.

So I kind of think that is what the market will bear for outdoor sports in Commonwealth Stadium.

Um.. Not last time I went to an eskies game (granted that was a few years ago). College corner tickets were around 20-25 a seat, and that was about 5 less than regular price. FCE is right on target in my opinion, and this half price ticket makes them comparible to the Capitals $10 tickets.

so what have the ESG been doing? Making flags/banners, negotiating section rules with FO, advertising online/in bars?

Yelling at front office trying to explain that we will help them if they are willing to help themselves. Mostly I will stretch backwards for them if they spend at least a shiny nickle on advertising. We are starting to see some, but in the last few months we only received answers like; "soon." Outside of wearing the scarf and talking to people about it, I personally haven't felt the need to carry dead weight.

Short answer is yes. If I could get a scanner I'd have a crest and potentially looking at getting scarves done. Flags and banners are in the process!

My suggestion would be to focus on the flags and banners in year 1 and not so much the scarves. Support the club with their merchandise in year 1. The visual element of the flags and banners are what is important to draw in new people. Once the group starts to grow, then you can worry about your own scarves to differentiate yoursleves. Just my 2 cents.

Scarves are not cheap, the UM 02 did their first in 2005. Maybe a t-shirt would be a better choice for your first marchandise.

http://www.ultrasmontreal.com/boutique/

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sure we're just going to be sticking to team-made merch for at least the first year, then once we have enough guys, looking at expanding. Its been a bit tricky to get everyone into the same room, but with FCE starting the season away, we'll have enough time to meet and organize before a home game. There are several flags in the works though.

Archived