FC Edmonton - Edmonton Supporters Group Discussion

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bahahaha....

Hopefully the club will promote properly. If I were them, I wouldn't waste much money until Feb or so though... Then hit the universities hard for March and April.

I actually meant the supporters group though. Who's gonna organize things and keep this going through the cold? And what are we gonna do for the season opener next year? It'd be awesome to start things out right, and do something big.

FCE Marketing

Yes, it would be all about timing, maybe there is something ESG can do to help market the team? One of the best places to find potential fans would be from the other pro sports teams in Edmonton (Oilers, Esks, Rush, Caps, etc.). Perhaps presence at their games/events would help to raise FCE's profile. Now, I don't know how the FATH group's relationship is, if any, with the other organizations but hopefully it's good.

ESG winter tasks

What about raising funds? Could pay for various things like more flags, banners, better drums, etc., and - if we're REALLY good at raising funds - tix/travel costs for road games. We should also think about how we can contribute individually to the ESG. What I mean is that each one of us has different areas of expertise, strengths, interests and passions. So once we've figured out what those are we can combine those and move forward as a group. I suggest we take the time and look at how supporters groups at different clubs contribute positively to their club and the community of fans as a whole. I must say though that I like where we're at now, we each have our own way of supporting FCE, and any form of organization we have should retain a degree of individuality. That being said, we should definitely meet a few times during the winter in orter to keep things organized (or something close to it).

Sup guys, I'm new to the board but I've been following FCE from the first game. I was in the ESG area today against Spokane.

In regards to today's game, wow, those Spokane guys were really bad. They couldn't make 2 consecutive passes, their defensive line didn't move, they couldn't take goal kicks properly and their goalie was obese. Even a div 2 EDSA team would have been better competition.

For next game, the Miami FC roster looks really interesting, hopefully they'll bring their best players.

I looked at the spokane Spiders' site, and I did not see Dylan on there at all. I think he was young and probably with them for this trip, also obese is technically accurate, but not athletic is more accurate. If you saw him at a public place in street clothes you wouldn't label him obese.

I hope that instead of getting at one another and pointing fingers, that the Spiders that did come up to Edmonton take that as incentive to train to a higher level. FC Edmonton was older then they were, and the players FC Edmonton brought over from europe have been instrumental for our prairie boys. I can hear Rein Baart barking instructions to his defence and midfield throughout the game.

I like to see people succeed at what they are doing, but people need to struggle as well as succeed for emotional determination, for grit, for mental endurance, for character, and for wisdom. I didn't really enjoy that game, so I hope that Spokane took something positive from it.

I think if we had played them mid season, we still would have beat them, but 5 - 0 is quite a bit different then 14 - 0. They had only two shots on net all game. That no longer constitutes as a game any more than the military one we played on Canada Day. Sorry, but I had to defend Dylan. I honestly think he is under twenty.

Foote has 3,500 around the artificial turf field. And another 1,500 looking at the grass pitch surrounded by the running track.

http://www.physedandrec.ualberta.ca/artfield.cfm

If you saw the field there is so much grass areas around it for fairly inexpensive expansion. Even below the general section bleachers is a big patch of sloped lawn. If people stood all game that area could be used maybe? I doubt it though considering it is roped off. I wonder about what plans, if any, that the club has for further ticket sales. I was daydreaming at work that the club really took off next year (I run a machine at a bindery and I have a lot of time to dwell on whatever).

If you saw the field there is so much grass areas around it for fairly inexpensive expansion. Even below the general section bleachers is a big patch of sloped lawn. If people stood all game that area could be used maybe? I doubt it though considering it is roped off. I wonder about what plans, if any, that the club has for further ticket sales. I was daydreaming at work that the club really took off next year (I run a machine at a bindery and I have a lot of time to dwell on whatever).

Myself and Stobe_z discussed this a while back. So great minds think alike eh?

Anyway it appears the fun Police dont like people standing on the grass for some obscure reason. (Yes, okay, I know it could get slippery in a rain shower etc but still, come on you guys:()

you know...Its not beyound the wit and wisdom for someone to come up with a design for 'cutting' a standing room terrace into the bank.

What is it the owners do in the real world exactly?...he ask knowingly:D

$200k worth of reinforced concrete and some stratigicly placed steel barriers should get the ball rolling so to speak; and should get you at least room for 1000 bodies.

The hard bit is getting the UofA to agree to been the having the first stadium in North america with a UEFA/ German style approved standing . After that their the city father and planning approvals. then there is a construction programme etc...

But hey, if standing terraces are good enough for the Bundersleige?;)

I like the standing room idea.. Would be awesome for the ESG. There must also be some temporary stands that they would be able to put up for the games as well.

I like the ideas for the off season. Raising funds would be great, I think making a few trips out to other places (maybe not this year, but if Calgary or Victoria got an NASL team...) would be stellar. If we did decide to do that, I think that having some sort of executive team would be important, along with more of a structured charter etc. I spent a bit of time looking at the Red Patch Boys website over the weekend... They seem to have a pretty good way of running things, but there are membership dues that are paid.

$200k worth of reinforced concrete and some stratigicly placed steel barriers should get the ball rolling so to speak; and should get you at least room for 1000 bodies.

The hard bit is getting the UofA to agree to been the having the first stadium in North america with a UEFA/ German style approved standing .

Some ESG can vouch for this photo:

4721621698_71d9979f5a.jpg

Theres a terrace in Montreal.

Plus FCE putting 200k to cut an earth hill on UofA's stadium, is stupid.

I like the standing room idea.. Would be awesome for the ESG. There must also be some temporary stands that they would be able to put up for the games as well.

I like the ideas for the off season. Raising funds would be great, I think making a few trips out to other places (maybe not this year, but if Calgary or Victoria got an NASL team...) would be stellar. If we did decide to do that, I think that having some sort of executive team would be important, along with more of a structured charter etc. I spent a bit of time looking at the Red Patch Boys website over the weekend... They seem to have a pretty good way of running things, but there are membership dues that are paid.

The club set us up with temp stands for the first 3 matches, near the corner flag. It was fine, we were on the field, but we were too exclusive, nobody could join us and people thought we were paid cheerleaders. The general admission stand, which has its shortcomings, is going to be home for the near future. We can stand without being harrassed by security, and we can jam as many people as we want in the section.

I am going to be completely honest, raising funds, drawing up a charter, having an executive team sounds fine and dandy, but we have a core group of 6 people, if that. SIX. I would like to get 10 regulars who will stand beside us and chant for 90 minutes before we start making a formal structure. We are looking WAY too far into the future with making things formal, and quite frankly, even if we do get large, I don't think having an extremely formal structure is necessary. The Voyageurs operate just fine without one, and same with U-Sector, the original Toronto Supporters Group.

In regards to the Red Patch Boys (no offense to any RPB on this site), but if we are going to emulate any TFC supporter group, it is going to be U-Sector. From U-Sector's site http://u-sector.ca/wp/about/:

"U-Sector takes pride in being a loosely-affiliated-yet-tight-knit organization of like-minded individuals who want to contribute to the ever-growing Toronto supporters culture.

As such, there is no official membership process, but rather one is generally “accepted into” the group through building up a relationship with one’s fellow U-Sector members.

To join U-Sector, simply join the discussions on the message boards and become active in the group community, stand and sing with us, help us create banners and flags, travel to away matches, and join in our pre and post-game festivities."

I am throwing this out there well in advance, as we have some Men's National Team matches coming up. We will have pub nights for the two FIFA dates coming up, and I hope to see all the ESG members posting in this thread to come out to at least one so that we can all get to know each other. I know we are all busy people, and can't make it to every match or event, but frankly it is getting frustrating planning events in Edmonton, be it for the V's or ESG, and getting positive responses on this board but at the match or pub its just the 3 of us with a few friends tagging along.

Things have moved on a lot in terms of the acceptance of fan groups by the powers that be since MLS expanded to Toronto. Might be worth checking out what the Sons of Ben were able to do in Philadelphia.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/fans/supporters-club

Instead of having small blocks of seats held for them as happened in TO they basically got an entire end of the Union's new stadium dedicated for their use.

Hey everyone, I just read an article about the new standards that the USSL is setting for the NASL. One of these being that teams involved need to have a Soccer Specific Stadium within 5 years of joining the league. Does Foote Field count as this or would FCE need to build a new stadium?

Hey everyone, I just read an article about the new standards that the USSL is setting for the NASL. One of these being that teams involved need to have a Soccer Specific Stadium within 5 years of joining the league. Does Foote Field count as this or would FCE need to build a new stadium?

Looking at wiki, foote is multi use, so, nope.

But I doubt those standards will be enforced at the D2 level, as it isn't at the D1 Level.

I'm not so sure. It seems they're pretty insistent about a SSS. The team has been talking about plans for one in Edmonton since day 1... unfortunately talk is cheap, but this simply is not going to take off without one. People will only put up with the crazy dead-artificial christmas tree pitch there for so long... and the grid-iron lines really REALLY look terrible.

Archived