Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't bother reading the Google translation but reading the German I wouldn't say it is mostly unflattering. Everyone agrees that he has talent and played well with Munster. Some question whether he has a realistic assessment of his ability and whether he has the personality and desire to realize his potential. There seems to be if not some bitterness at least some "I told you so" aspect to the comments which have to do with him leaving Munster whose fanforum this is. According to the posters it seems like he had some success in Munster and thought he could be a Bundesliga star so left them for the Schalke reserves. I doubt this is actually true because that is not how things work other in the mind of some fans with more imagination than knowledge. Most likely Schalke scouted him and saw some potential and offered him a contract. The important and bad news in this is actually what is quoted at the beginning from an article that he has been told he is no longer in the coach's plans and should search for a new club. He does, however, have a contract until next year so if he can not find a new club is entitled to train with Schalke 2 and be paid.

While this is not good news it may not be as bad as it seems either or as one of the posters mentioned to the "I told you so guys", his career is not over. He was a pretty steady starter for Schalke 2 in the 4th division last year. What this means is not that he can't play at the 4th division or higher but rather that Schalke does not see him as a future Schalke player or in other words a future player for an upper table 1st Bundesliga team. Plus they have brought in a lot of new younger talent for Schalke 2 this year, 12 new players. Will be interesting to see if he is able to sign with a new team and at what level. It is quite possible he may be able to sign with a 3rd division team or even higher. However, if they just told him this it is pretty crappy because that will make finding a new team at this point a bit harder than if he was informed earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Keegan Ayre and Gordon Chin are both coaching youth soccer in the Lower Mainland according to an anonymous poster on duane's blog and verified by a quick google.

Maybe they have given it up at the pro level -maybe they will pop again in Edmonton??

Keegan Ayre and Gordon Chin are both coaching youth soccer in the Lower Mainland according to an anonymous poster on duane's blog and verified by a quick google.

Maybe they have given it up at the pro level -maybe they will pop again in Edmonton??

Gordie Chin is 27 years old, and so moving on to coaching wouldn't surprise me. As for Ayre, I can see this as a short term move, since he's only 21.

Looks like Eddy Sidra has been released from Energie Cottbus II.

http://www.snoa.de/fussball/herren/regionalliga_nord/news/30688/Alle_Transfers_auf_einen_Blick.html

Yes that is correct although it is a list of those leaving the club so it is not clear whether he was released or left the team. Dosanjh and Porter are also on the list. On the good news side, Latendresse is listed as an addition to the club which means he has graduated from the youth team to the reserve team.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at some of the names mentioned in this thread. There are some that I just never thought were very good to begin with but are are also a few that I had seen play and thought they had some promise. Most of the later types probably never got real shot and bounced around from lower division side to lower division side and never really getting noticed. Seems like there was missing transition point with these in that they went from being stars in amateur soccer to going straight to some pro outfit playing against men.

Notice that those who went as teenagers to a club youth academy for a club of some repute, comparatively fared better. And those who didn't, at least got a fair shot.

Apparently Terry Dunfield is trialing at Motherwell: http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8142&st=20

confirmation in the press:

Motherwell are running the rule over Canadian international Terry Dunfield. The midfielder left English League Two side Shrewsbury last season because he wanted to play at a higher level.

The 28-year-old is now on trial with the Fir Park outfit and could win a deal if he impresses. Shrewsbury boss Graham Turner was furious at losing Dunfield and said: "When players don't want to play for you get them out as quickly as possible."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/08/04/motherwell-boss-craig-brown-voices-concerns-over-threadbare-squad-86908-22462623/

Any word on Alen Marcina?

Found him on facebook. Looks like he is a fulltime personal trainer/ soccer camp coach (must be done playing now and probably time to remove him from the list) running with his brother Niko and another guy under the banner performallout:

Perform AllOut Perform AllOUT-Exclusive 8 Week Training Program registration due by end of week! If you are looking for a program to Maximize your Son or Daughters Soccer Potential you have found it in Perform AllOUT...

Contact Alen Marcina. Email: A_Marcina@hotmail.com PH: 210-569-9762

[url=http://www.facebook.com/PerformAllOUT/posts/144174828935323]

Riley O'Neill seems to be trialling at/signed with the Victoria Highlanders of the USL PDL (and is, in fact, currently playing the match against FC Edmonton).

Thanks for the tip - please send me confirmation if there is a story on him signing with Victoria.

Apparently Terry Dunfield is trialing at Motherwell: http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8142&st=20

An recent overview of Terry, probably from a Shrewsbury fan:

Terry Dunfield is a hard working, fairly mobile but ultimately very limited centre midfield player.

He's had his head filled with daft ideas by the Canadian manager about needing to play at a higher level to enhance his international chances which riled Graham Turner no end. He was shown the door with a year still to go on his contract with an agreement that he couldn't sign for another club in England. Unfortunately League 2 was Terry's level and he's simply not good enough to play at a higher level in the opinion of many.

Good honest, hard working pro, but he offers precious little in the opposition half, he's a decent ball winner but a very average player in possession. He doesn't take set pieces and he very rarely scores, threatens to score or creates chances for others.

He might do a respectable holding centre midfield job but i'd be amazed if he could hack it in the SPL.

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8142&st=20

Archived