Canadians MIA/UI List

nolando

Thanks for the tip - please send me confirmation if there is a story on him signing with Victoria.

I definitely saw him on the pitch (took a few pictures, too) and listed in the program. A guy in the bleachers said it was that Riley O'Neill, and I've got an e-mail into the Highlanders to confirm and see whether he's trialling or signed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ornoch has signed with Veendam and is likely to make his debut with them on Friday. In the article it was mentioned that he will fill the role of "diepe spits", which I would translate as withdrawn striker. Maybe a traditional #10.

http://www.dvhn.nl/nieuws/sport/article6339905.ece/BV-Veendam-trekt-Andrew-Ornoch-aan

And nolando, your 'word on the street' certainly is tantalizing. Any hints about the identity of this European top-flight club?

Ornoch has signed with Veendam and is likely to make his debut with them on Friday. In the article it was mentioned that he will fill the role of "diepe spits", which I would translate as withdrawn striker. Maybe a traditional #10.

http://www.dvhn.nl/nieuws/sport/article6339905.ece/BV-Veendam-trekt-Andrew-Ornoch-aan

And nolando, your 'word on the street' certainly is tantalizing. Any hints about the identity of this European top-flight club?

Well, maybe I have overstated it, but it looks like he will end up in a "top-tier" (as opposed to a second division) European league, not in Germany, and probably at a relatively lesser known club there, I would suspect. Once the club situation is sorted out he is hoping to be back in the picture for the MNT.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it looks at least that we have (pseudo)confirmation that Hastings is indeed still alive. Where would he be playing in Canada? In Vancouver??

RICHARD HASTINGS

Inverness-bred Canadian committed cardinal sin of joining Ross County in 2001 and then tried his fortunes in Dutch and Austrian football. Returned to Caley Thistle under Craig Brewster in 2004 and added another 133 appearances. Switched to Hamilton in January 2009 and is now believed to be playing back 'home' in Canada.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/daily-mail-london-england-the/mi_8002/is_2010_Sept_22/years-men-super-caley-ballistic/ai_n55320121/

Well, it looks at least that we have (pseudo)confirmation that Hastings is indeed still alive. Where would he be playing in Canada? In Vancouver??

RICHARD HASTINGS

Inverness-bred Canadian committed cardinal sin of joining Ross County in 2001 and then tried his fortunes in Dutch and Austrian football. Returned to Caley Thistle under Craig Brewster in 2004 and added another 133 appearances. Switched to Hamilton in January 2009 and is now believed to be playing back 'home' in Canada.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/daily-mail-london-england-the/mi_8002/is_2010_Sept_22/years-men-super-caley-ballistic/ai_n55320121/

Sounds like Hart should call him up again!

• 2 weeks later...

Was doing some random googling and looked up Massih Wassey - looks like he's still training with Schalke II but there was a quote from the head coach to the effect of "I have no idea why he's still here - we told him in the summer there's no chance of him ever playing ..."

Was doing some random googling and looked up Massih Wassey - looks like he's still training with Schalke II but there was a quote from the head coach to the effect of "I have no idea why he's still here - we told him in the summer there's no chance of him ever playing ..."

Wow...harsh. maybe he has a sponsor at the club.

Wow...harsh. maybe he has a sponsor at the club.

Havoc88, when you post quotes like this you need to post a link to the original especially when it is in a foreign language so others who speak this language can see if the quote/translation is correct. If you are referring to the quote from: http://www.westline.de/fussball/sc-p...art2027,268280 that was posted in the Canucks in Germany thread, your quote is incorrect. The coach says he will not play again for Schalke (and was told in summer but in my recollection it was very late in the summer, ie. at a time hard to find a new club) and he trains alone at the club but he doesn't say anything like not understanding why he is still there. It is not only completely normal for players under contract who the club doesn't want anymore to still train at the club, it is their right under the laws of German football. Any attempt to stop a player from doing so or to make them feel unwelcome or uncomfortable would be subject to punishment by the German football authorities. I highly doubt the Schalke coach said what you are claiming and if he did, I think he would be in a bit of trouble from the league and player's union.

You are correct and apologies for not following proper protocol as it should have been obvious the "direct" translation could have been inaccurate. And upon finding the link again, I clearly took liberties with the tone of the quote.

This was the site I saw it on - I believe dated around Sept 24:

http://www.mv-online.de/lokalsport/muenster/sc_preussen/1403182_Willkommen_bei_Preussen_Schalke.html

It sounds similar to the link you posted but there was nothing there.

Added Chris Williams and Alex Elliot who were released by the Caps today:http://whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature10191001.aspx

Meanwhile, Whitecaps FC also confirmed today that the club will not offer contracts to goalkeeper Dan Pelc, defenders Nelson Akwari, Zurab Tsiskaridze, and Chris Williams, midfielder Alex Elliott, as well as striker Jonathan McDonald.

Added Chris Williams and Alex Elliot who were released by the Caps today:http://whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature10191001.aspx

Meanwhile, Whitecaps FC also confirmed today that the club will not offer contracts to goalkeeper Dan Pelc, defenders Nelson Akwari, Zurab Tsiskaridze, and Chris Williams, midfielder Alex Elliott, as well as striker Jonathan McDonald.

No surprises there... with the emergence of Porter at the end there it was basically good night for Elliot.. I think Williams and Elliot will catch on somewhere else in the NASL/USL

This thread is utterly depressing, a virtual graveyard of careers dead before they barely got started.

Has a lot to do with the structure of football in Canada. In any European country you can always keep playing lower tier, make a few bucks, even a half a salary, keep your day job, and still dream, even reasonably, of getting a break. In virtually every city. You can be a solid semi-pro in the tiered promo-releg system. I know quite a few guys in their 20s doing this, including people I work with, or coaches of my kid.

One guy I know who was on a fifth tier team last year who works in sport management, is about 28 or so, and the team just promoted to 4th tier. And after 8 games are leading their division (there are 17 4th tier divisions in Spain). So some of the players are getting attention, including from the local 3rd tier teams (four divisions in Spain and that is fully pro) that are having a bad start. I doubt he makes more than 4 or 5 hundred euros a month (probably the lowest paid team in their division though), a very modest side but doing great. Thing is, I ask him a bit more about himself, and he tells me (get this) that he played youth at FC Barcelona from age 13 to 17 and was on the U-17 B team with Reina, Valdes, Arteta, amongst others. So here he is, a guy who had an amazing upside 10 years ago and never played pro, finally, at age 28, with a chance of being picked up by a solid lower tier pro team.

That can't happen in Canada, there is no middle ground, no place to keep playing competitively, either you stay in Europe in a country you have papers for, or go back to Canada and coach at a high school.

This thread is utterly depressing, a virtual graveyard of careers dead before they barely got started.
Be glad I haven't posted the list of players, that I compiled, while doing the ol Moaca, who had stints in Europe. And most of those guys would be under 30. You'd better hide the rope and the Cat Steven's music.

Has a lot to do with the structure of football in Canada. In any European country you can always keep playing lower tier, make a few bucks, even a half a salary, keep your day job, and still dream, even reasonably, of getting a break. In virtually every city. You can be a solid semi-pro in the tiered promo-releg system. I know quite a few guys in their 20s doing this, including people I work with, or coaches of my kid.

One guy I know who was on a fifth tier team last year who works in sport management, is about 28 or so, and the team just promoted to 4th tier. And after 8 games are leading their division (there are 17 4th tier divisions in Spain). So some of the players are getting attention, including from the local 3rd tier teams (four divisions in Spain and that is fully pro) that are having a bad start. I doubt he makes more than 4 or 5 hundred euros a month (probably the lowest paid team in their division though), a very modest side but doing great. Thing is, I ask him a bit more about himself, and he tells me (get this) that he played youth at FC Barcelona from age 13 to 17 and was on the U-17 B team with Reina, Valdes, Arteta, amongst others. So here he is, a guy who had an amazing upside 10 years ago and never played pro, finally, at age 28, with a chance of being picked up by a solid lower tier pro team.

That can't happen in Canada, there is no middle ground, no place to keep playing competitively, either you stay in Europe in a country you have papers for, or go back to Canada and coach at a high school.

That's a great story, now contrast that with a guy like Brian Rowland who after playing USL-2 for a bunch of years finally had a chance to move up to USL-1 and maybe catch someone's eye. Instead he decides to retire because he can make more money as an assistant coach at the NCAA D1 level. Unreal, only in Canada (and the US).

I think the gap in pay between D2 and D3 probably has a lot to do with so many guys ditching the game in NA. When you have to take a haircut from 30K to 3K you're probably going to go looking for a real job.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Ante Jazic is a perfect example of this. After finishing his university playing days at Dalhousie, he went to Croatia on holiday. A family member arranged a trial with a club there and the rest (a nice pro career) is history. Who knows what his soccer life would have been like if he stayed in Halifax.

Archived