AC Milan to visit Impact at Olympic Stadium

kyam

They won't be playing their Star's due to the World Cup, but Serie A sides AC Milan and Fiorentina will be playing two friendly matches against the Montreal Impact.

I hope they play at least a few regulars for the first 45, like Real Madrid did against Toronto. Either way, I hope the overwhelming number of ACM fans in Montreal will be matched by the Montreal Ultras.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/impact-to-play-ac-milan-at-olympic-stadium/article1534244/

They won't be playing their Star's due to the World Cup, but Serie A sides AC Milan and Fiorentina will be playing two friendly matches against the Montreal Impact.

I hope they play at least a few regulars for the first 45, like Real Madrid did against Toronto. Either way, I hope the overwhelming number of ACM fans in Montreal will be matched by the Montreal Ultras.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/impact-to-play-ac-milan-at-olympic-stadium/article1534244/

The Fiorentina game will be played 3 days prior to the last Voyageurs Cup game against Vancouver. I'm not sure I like the timing of this friendly....

I may need to make the trip for the Fiorentina game!!! I can't believe that it is only at Saputo. They will probably have a better roster than Milan. The best Viola players play for countries that didn't qualify for the World Cup: Vargas, Jovetic, Mutu

Missing for Fiorentina:

Gilardino

Montolivo (maybe)

Marchionni (maybe)

Gamberini (maybe)

Missing for Milan:

Dida

Onyewu

Pato

Huntelaar

Zambrotta

Flamini

Pirlo

Borriello

Thiago Silva

The Fiorentina game will be played 3 days prior to the last Voyageurs Cup game against Vancouver. I'm not sure I like the timing of this friendly....

Hey, Dos Santo's has shown that he is willing to throw in a mediocre squad for "meaningless" matches.

Just for Stevan Jovetic alone, I definitely will have to go to this. I'm insanely jealous of Impact fans right now... lol

Marchionni and Gamberini have maybe a 5% chance of going to the WC, so they'll likely be there. Montolivo SHOULD go, but Lippi's said he'll probably be going with his usual old guys, so yeah. And Sebastian Frey will also be there, because he's retired from international duty. I have a vintage 1985 Fiorentina shirt that I'm currently debating bringing to get signed...

He also knows how to win championships.

Here is the Link from the Montreal Impact Site.

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1343&Focus=0

Im not refuting that... All I'm saying is that based on past-precedent, Dos Santo's has demonstrated that hes willing to be strategic in selecting his team based on the importance of the match. I hardly expect the Impact to field its A-team...

Then again, both Serie A team will likely be playing their reserve teams, regardless of whether players are participating in the World Cup.

Aston Villa (Loss 4-2) and Benfica (draw 0-0) both played their B-teams in Toronto.

Only reason why Real Madrid (Loss 5-1) fielded C.Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema and Raul, was cause TFC paid them a $1 million appearance fee. I don't think the same arrangement is being made here. Except, they are looking to put in a grass field into Olympic Stadium. Costed Toronto $250 000...

why is everyone saying "B" players....ronaldinho is not going to the world cup....neither is seerdorf, nesta, ambrosini, inzaghi, pato(probably not), abbiati, dida, jankulowski, abate, antonini and the list goes on.....this game will be played by all of these players most likely....fiorentina only has maybe 2 or 3 internationals.....these games will be very good games and both will be soldout in no time...only ronaldinho's name will sell thousands of tickets alone......montreal is a soccer city and this is the second step(ccl quarters finals) was the first step and the final step will be 2012 in the mls......

They have a contract with AC Milan that guarantees certain players will be there: Ronaldinho, Filippo Inzaghi, Pato, Clarence Seedorf and Dida. Also interesting to note in the Joey Saputo interview is that AC Milan are the ones who contacted the Impact about this friendly..

See, good strip clubs are an economic benefit!!!

why is everyone saying "B" players...ers most likely...

I am wondering the same thing. This another one of those voyageurs Urban myths right up there with:

- Anytime there`s a disapointing turn out at CMNT home games is because of poor promotion by the CSA

- You must play Home games out west because you will get a stronger support for Canada

- Its all Keyven Pipe`s fault.

- Its all Mo`s fault.

- Thomas Niendorf is a genius

And then we have this one that says that anytime a European club comes to play to Canada, it is automatically assumed that they will play only their subs and B players. From what I have seen, aside from when Manchester United visits North America, there is not much evidence that these clubs make no effort to showcase their talent. When Real Madrid visited last year, most of their star started and played most of the game.

Aston Villa started almost all of their best players, and they stayed on the field for most of the game too.

Benfica didn't play Numo Gomes among others. I think Rui Costa was the only marquee player on the field. Aston Villa had players like Harewood, Zoltan Stieber, Stephen O'Halloran (The last two were from their Reserve teams with no premiership caps)... the starting keeper was Sorensen who lost the starting role that same year...

Besides, its all about timing... The TFC v. Real Madrid match was played just weeks before the start of the La Liga season. It was one of the last friendlies for Real... As a team, it was an important match for them, in that it was another opportunity for the new signings to develop some level of cohesion. The coaches were able to take some final looks at some of their players.

Perhaps 1 or 2 regular's will make an appearance in Montreal, but I hardly imagine ALL the non-World Cup starters will appear given the timing of the friendlies. It will likely be similar situation to the Benfica-TFC match. They chose Montreal, cause of the large Italian community, much like Toronto's Portuguese community.

Benfica didn't play Numo Gomes among others. I think Rui Costa was the only marquee player on the field. TFC paid $1 million appearance fee to Real Madrid so that they would play their A-team... I don't think we'll be seeing Seerdorf or Ronaldinho on the pitch unless some sort of appearance fee was made.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/soccer/2010/04/14/001-impact_milan.shtml

Listen to interview with Joey..

Benfica didn't play Numo Gomes among others. I think Rui Costa was the only marquee player on the field. Aston Villa had players like Harewood, Zoltan Stieber, Stephen O'Halloran (The last two were from their Reserve teams with no premiership caps)... the starting keeper was Sorensen who lost the starting role that same year...

Besides, its all about timing... The TFC v. Real Madrid match was played just weeks before the start of the La Liga season. It was one of the last friendlies for Real... As a team, it was an important match for them, in that it was another opportunity for the new signings to develop some level of cohesion. The coaches were able to take some final looks at some of their players.

Perhaps 1 or 2 regular's will make an appearance in Montreal, but I hardly imagine ALL the non-World Cup starters will appear given the timing of the friendlies. It will likely be similar situation to the Benfica-TFC match. They chose Montreal, cause of the large Italian community, much like Toronto's Portuguese community.

I didn't make any mention of Benfica, i spoke only of the Villa game. 3 players making their debut is hardly a "B" team. Villa started Barry, Young, Agbonlahor etc. Sorenson started and had to leave the game due to injury. The regulars that didn't start were brought on later (Reo-Coker, Carew).

I may need to make the trip for the Fiorentina game!!! I can't believe that it is only at Saputo. They will probably have a better roster than Milan. The best Viola players play for countries that didn't qualify for the World Cup: Vargas, Jovetic, Mutu

Missing for Fiorentina:

Gilardino

Montolivo (maybe)

Marchionni (maybe)

Gamberini (maybe)

Missing for Milan:

Dida

Onyewu

Pato

Huntelaar

Zambrotta

Flamini

Pirlo

Borriello

Thiago Silva

Just choose one team Mass, you can't tell me Juve and then flip to Fiorentina....I may have to spill a beer ( it's only pilsner) on your Fiorentina kit next time. ;) ;)

I am wondering the same thing. This another one of those voyageurs Urban myths right up there with:

- Anytime there`s a disapointing turn out at CMNT home games is because of poor promotion by the CSA

- You must play Home games out west because you will get a stronger support for Canada

- Its all Keyven Pipe`s fault.

- Its all Mo`s fault.

- Thomas Niendorf is a genius

And then we have this one that says that anytime a European club comes to play to Canada, it is automatically assumed that they will play only their subs and B players. From what I have seen, aside from when Manchester United visits North America, there is not much evidence that these clubs make no effort to showcase their talent. When Real Madrid visited last year, most of their star started and played most of the game.

Last year's Everton/River Plate game in edmonton was one of those cases.

I believe that this is the cant miss event of the summer in montreal. What a great move by the impact, most montreal soccer fans are not impact fans (i will not debate their wisdom on this issue) but i believe with events like this, those soccer fans are gonna be enlighten and become impact fans in time for the franchise to make the move to the MLS and create a huge build up.

Just choose one team Mass, you can't tell me Juve and then flip to Fiorentina....I may have to spill a beer ( it's only pilsner) on your Fiorentina kit next time. ;) ;)

Juventus was the team when I was young and foolish. Vialli and Ravanelli were the main reasons. As I grew older and wiser and with the family connections for Florence, a bond started to grow and then I really fell in love with the squad this season.

Archived