AC Milan to visit Impact at Olympic Stadium

kyam

Last year's Everton/River Plate game in edmonton was one of those cases.

I am wondering the same thing. This another one of those voyageurs Urban myths right up there with:

- Anytime there`s a disapointing turn out at CMNT home games is because of poor promotion by the CSA

- You must play Home games out west because you will get a stronger support for Canada

- Its all Keyven Pipe`s fault.

- Its all Mo`s fault.

- Thomas Niendorf is a genius

And then we have this one that says that anytime a European club comes to play to Canada, it is automatically assumed that they will play only their subs and B players. From what I have seen, aside from when Manchester United visits North America, there is not much evidence that these clubs make no effort to showcase their talent.

Having your best players away on world cup duty, and some of the rest playing most of the game would be considered a "B" side in my book. I'm not blaming AC Milan, it's a friendly after all.

Juventus was the team when I was young and foolish. Vialli and Ravanelli were the main reasons. As I grew older and wiser and with the family connections for Florence, a bond started to grow and then I really fell in love with the squad this season.

My family is from Friuli, but my favourite player of all time is Baggio, so I have a definite soft spot for both Fiorentina and Juve, even though I know that's pretty much illegal... Not to mention, as you said, Fiorentina have built a great team these last couple years, who have really won me over, with the likes of Jovetic, Mutu, Montolivo, etc.

Does anyone know when tickets go on sale? I have decided that I absolutely must go to the Fiorentina match and possibly the Milan match as well.

My thoughts echo'ed by another Southsider exactly: http://vancouversouthsiders.blogspot.com/2010/04/friendly-announcements-dont-light-my.html

:D

Why is everyone falling over themselves for this? It makes no sense to me and comes in the middle of important games for Montreal.

I think these North American teams do these events out of some sort of an inferiority complex, perhaps getting the Soccer Snobs out of the cafes and supporters pubs etc to actually watch the local team vs some "Euro Superpower" to try to sell them on the domestic product...

My thoughts echo'ed by another Southsider exactly: http://vancouversouthsiders.blogspot.com/2010/04/friendly-announcements-dont-light-my.html

Why is everyone falling over themselves for this? It makes no sense to me and comes in the middle of important games for Montreal.

I think these North American teams do these events out of some sort of an inferiority complex, perhaps getting the Soccer Snobs out of the cafes and supporters pubs etc to actually watch the local team vs some "Euro Superpower" to try to sell them on the domestic product...

I respect your opinion and it is not lacking any support in fact; however, i must disagree. There is an agreement in place that guarantees certain players to be present and active. These friendlies must be looked at from a business point of view rather than a soccer operations point of view. Dos Santos have proven that they can properly manage rosters in light of friendlies and they have experience in dealing with friendlies randomly inserted into their schedule. A matter of fact, teams around the world deal with them all the time.

I agree that it is to sell the impact to the soccer snobs in Canada and i think there is no city that has more soccer snobs than Montreal and to be able to sell 18 000 season tickets in 2012, this is the way, the impact must show their product to this segment of soccer fans and what better way to do so against a soccer super power.

People will be paying to see a b team at best, with a few guys from the normal 16 or so regular first teamers that don't make the cut in South Africa...

I don't see how AC Milan could guarantee that Ronaldinho will be at Saputo Stadium instead of training with Brazil... He might come down with an "injury"

also, even if L'Impact are playing the Milan and Viola B Teams, they will have to play their best players at their best to avoid embarassment, with a Nutrilite game vs WFC 3 days after one of the games... That doesn't sound like a sound management plan if aiming for all 3 points vs WFC on that day.

Respectfully Agreeing to disagree. :)

People will be paying to see a b team at best, with a few guys from the normal 16 or so regular first teamers that don't make the cut in South Africa...

I don't see how AC Milan could guarantee that Ronaldinho will be at Saputo Stadium instead of training with Brazil... He might come down with an "injury"

also, even if L'Impact are playing the Milan and Viola B Teams, they will have to play their best players at their best to avoid embarassment, with a Nutrilite game vs WFC 3 days after one of the games... That doesn't sound like a sound management plan if aiming for all 3 points vs WFC on that day.

there are lots of soccer snobs that wont go to the game just because boriello isnt playing lol

I

These friendlies must be looked at from a business point of view rather than a soccer operations point of view. Dos Santos have proven that they can properly manage rosters in light of friendlies and they have experience in dealing with friendlies randomly inserted into their schedule. A matter of fact, teams around the world deal with them all the time.

People seem to always forget that when the Impact, TFC or Whitecaps play against these teams its going to be an opportunity for teams that consist of alot of Canadians to play against some top talent in the world. How often that the Canadian players in the lower leagues or lower divisions in Europe get to play against Milan or RM and be seen by the likes of Milan and RM.

Edit: Before someone mentions the example of cup games as examples of where Euro based canadians get to face the top clubs, let me mention that the big clubs are equally or more likely to play B squads or subs in those games than they are on NA tours.

I don't see how AC Milan could guarantee that Ronaldinho will be at Saputo Stadium instead of training with Brazil... He might come down with an "injury" ...also, even if L'Impact are playing the Milan and Viola B Teams, they will have to play their best players at their best to avoid embarassment, with a Nutrilite game vs WFC 3 days after one of the games... That doesn't sound like a sound management plan if aiming for all 3 points vs WFC on that day.

I really only got into watching soccer while attending University in Toronto... what struck me was the HUGE number of soccer supporters in Toronto (Especially compared to Red Deer/Edmonton). Before TFC, nearly everybody in my circle of friends supported a Soccer club from their parents homeland.

Despite the media attention, marketing, MLS and the sellout crowds at BMO Field, these smae people continued to ignore the domestic game. The only time they EVER payed attention is when an International friendlies in town. And even then, they don't bother watching cause they were only friendlies.

However, one of them attended the Real Madrid match and another watched it on TV. While TFC got crushed, they started to casually follow TFC after the event. Despite the crushing defeat, the quality was AT LEAST, better than what they thought it would be... It at least convinced them to watch the rest of the season and the home openner last light.

International friendlies are largely marketing exercises for big European clubs, but it can also be a marketing "coup" for MLS/NASL outfits as well.

I concur, but don't market it to the already supporting supporters like it is some sort of a favor they are doing for you by bringing in the also-rans from Fiorentina and Milano to play you 3 days prior to a match that actually means something.

What i mention to say in my original post on the matter was that I don't understand why us PROPER supporters get our panties in a twist over the games... I get WHY they happen.

I guess people get exicted, because it might be the first and last time that they get to see world class clubs such as Fiorentina and AC Milan.

Amongst others, bottom line there are countless reasons to be excited from this game even if there are some disadvantages but the club will deal with it.

Joey Saputo is a business man, he knows when to take risks. I guess he felt that getting a result against Vancouver with three days rest, was a gamble he was willing to take. Dos Santos is a master at managing his roster, and playing some of the best clubs in the world could only make the squad better. Hopefully some of the younger players who don't see a lot of playing time, get a chance to show their talent.

I can understand this point, and actually felt similarly when TFC announced the Real Madrid friendly. For one thing, I didn't really care either way about Real Madrid, and the match also came smack in the middle of a tough part of the schedule for us.

A lot of 'hardcore' TFC fans DO enjoy these friendlies though, so it's not just for the casuals and Eurosnobs. And if MLSE ever got a Serie A team over here to play TFC, I'd be pretty interested as well, although I'd still be cheering 100% for TFC.

And I don't understand your 'inferiority complex' comment. It's not an inferiority complex when you openly know and admit that your team is nowhere near on the same level as a team like Fiorentina or Milan. To think otherwise would be stupid.

And TFC didn't play their full strength team against Real Madrid, they rested a lot of regulars, and fringe players like Gabe Gala also got a run out; I don't think Gala had featured once all season prior to that.

Milan, as mentioned, will not have their entire first team, but still will be able to field a very strong team. Pirlo and Pato will certainly be missing, Gattuso, Huntelaar, Onyewu and Zambrotta will probably be, and Ronaldinho, Thiago Silva, Abate, Zambrotta and Borriello might be.

The thing about teams like AC Milan, though, is that they have such incredible depth that they still can field a team that's close to world class, even assuming all those players go to the WC, which they certainly won't. That still leaves you with:

Dida

Abbiati

Storari

Antonini

Bonera

Favalli

Nesta

Kaladze

Jankulovski

Oddo

Seedorf

Flamini

Ambrosini

Mancini

Di Gennaro

Adiyiah

Inzaghi

And the only players on Fiorentina who might be going to the WC are Gilardino and Montolivo.

15,000 TICKETS SOLD FOR IMPACT MATCH AGAINST AC MILAN

The Montreal Impact announced Friday that almost 15,000 tickets have been sold for its international game against AC Milan, which will take place on June 2 at Olympic Stadium, only a few hours following the launch of ticket sales, this morning at 10 am.

This sets a new record in ticket sales for the Montreal club.

“We are thrilled about the enthusiasm that this event has generated,” said Montreal Impact Executive Vice President Richard Legendre. “This confirms that this event is highly anticipated by soccer fans and that Montreal is an outstanding market for international soccer events.”

The Impact also announced that almost 5,000 tickets have already been sold for the game against Serie A (first division) Italian club Fiorentina, slated on Sunday, May 23 at 2 pm, at Saputo Stadium.

Several excellent tickets are still available for both games. Tickets are currently on sale for the Fiorentina match through Admission (514-790-1245 / admission.com), as well as at the ticketing office of Saputo Stadium. Tickets for the AC Milan game are available through Admission or at the ticketing office of the Olympic Stadium and Saputo Stadium. Note that top category ticket holders will get a chance to attend the visiting club's training session one day prior to the game, at Saputo Stadium.

Yes I am not very excited by this either nor thrilled by the timing of the Fiorentina game. These type of friendly matches usually suck. Everyone is worrying about seeing the stars yet in my experience the more stars that play the worse the game is because they don't give much effort and are trying to avoid injury. If they play their subs and B teamers the game is usually better because they try harder and the level of difference in talent is less. Yet that is the equivalent of seeing a team a level below the big name team you are paying to see. The Bordeaux friendly against the Impact was a decent game but the team they fielded was more equivalent to a Ligue 2 team than French champions.

I understand the financial and marketing reasons for having these games. I also will go to them because the will be big soccer events and I think it is important for UM to have a good presence there especially since we may be almost the only ones in the stadium supporting the Impact. Nevertheless, the games that are circles on my calendar are the games against TFC and Rochester not these friendlies.

I am wondering the same thing. This another one of those voyageurs Urban myths right up there with:

- Anytime there`s a disapointing turn out at CMNT home games is because of poor promotion by the CSA

- You must play Home games out west because you will get a stronger support for Canada

- Its all Keyven Pipe`s fault.

- Its all Mo`s fault.

- Thomas Niendorf is a genius

And then we have this one that says that anytime a European club comes to play to Canada, it is automatically assumed that they will play only their subs and B players. From what I have seen, aside from when Manchester United visits North America, there is not much evidence that these clubs make no effort to showcase their talent. When Real Madrid visited last year, most of their star started and played most of the game.

I would call 4 of your 5 "urban myths" more or less true. Poor marketing from the CSA is not the only reason for poor turnouts but it is a pretty big reason. Pipe was not a good leader of the CSA. Mo is pretty much 100% at fault for all of TFC's woes since the others at fault were all hired by Mo. Thomas Niendorf may not be a genius but he does seem to have a good eye for scouting talent and some coaching skills in developing it that are well above the norm in this part of the world. I agree that the idea of playing home games out west for Canada support is not true but I have also not seen that opinion voiced very often.

I understand the hole thing about the schedule and all...i agree but we've all said that soccer needs to grow and have more visibility within our country. Almost any div 1 club from Europe coming here is a good thing for promoting soccer.

All the recent events relating to the Impact, I'm sure, does help the club in some way at reaching for MLS....this event also.

I can understand this point, and actually felt similarly when TFC announced the Real Madrid friendly. For one thing, I didn't really care either way about Real Madrid, and the match also came smack in the middle of a tough part of the schedule for us.

A lot of 'hardcore' TFC fans DO enjoy these friendlies though, so it's not just for the casuals and Eurosnobs. And if MLSE ever got a Serie A team over here to play TFC, I'd be pretty interested as well, although I'd still be cheering 100% for TFC.

And I don't understand your 'inferiority complex' comment. It's not an inferiority complex when you openly know and admit that your team is nowhere near on the same level as a team like Fiorentina or Milan. To think otherwise would be stupid.

And TFC didn't play their full strength team against Real Madrid, they rested a lot of regulars, and fringe players like Gabe Gala also got a run out; I don't think Gala had featured once all season prior to that.

Milan, as mentioned, will not have their entire first team, but still will be able to field a very strong team. Pirlo and Pato will certainly be missing, Gattuso, Huntelaar, Onyewu and Zambrotta will probably be, and Ronaldinho, Thiago Silva, Abate, Zambrotta and Borriello might be.

The thing about teams like AC Milan, though, is that they have such incredible depth that they still can field a team that's close to world class, even assuming all those players go to the WC, which they certainly won't. That still leaves you with:

Dida

Abbiati

Storari

Antonini

Bonera

Favalli

Nesta

Kaladze

Jankulovski

Oddo

Seedorf

Flamini

Ambrosini

Mancini

Di Gennaro

Adiyiah

Inzaghi

And the only players on Fiorentina who might be going to the WC are Gilardino and Montolivo.

Ronaldinho may not be selected by Brasil.

Archived