Canada vs Venezuela (May 29th)

loyola

Our feed in Canada didn't show the sub - the Argentinian's supplied it, and they were busy showing Maradona and Messi laughing on the sidelines by this point in the game. Because Craig & Gerry were calling the game from a studio in Toronto, they didn't see it either. I haven't re-watched my tape, so I'm not even sure if he got a touch on the ball either. Hopefully we see a bit more of him tomorrow.

Not only got touches on the ball but was crisp and confident in the few he had, my play by play man even commented on it being his first cap and said where he was playing. Of course not enough time to make a difference but I think he'll be happy with a first start for us, maybe it will motivate him.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McCallum seems to only play as a striker with Hereford. Is he leftfooted? Wassey is apparently a lefty, so also be an option out there... But as he plays centrally for his club I wouldn't expect much in terms of crossing the ball.

I also hadn't realized Pacheo got on at the end of the Argentina match. I imagine if he replaced Johnson he played down the right. The only thing I don't like about Stalteri AND Sidra starting is that there are no defenders among the substitutes.

McCallum is indeed left-footed. Here is a coverage about his debut for CNMT.

http://www.hereford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200150

McCallum is indeed left-footed. Here is a coverage about his debut for CNMT.

http://www.hereford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200150

It 's great to see a player who is keen to represent his country! He probably wouldn't have got a look if it wasn't for all the no shows but good for Hart on calling him! I know he's playing at a fairly low level but he is still young and sometimes our guys take a little longer to develop! I hope he gets a chance and does well!

It 's great to see a player who is keen to represent his country! He probably wouldn't have got a look if it wasn't for all the no shows but good for Hart on calling him! I know he's playing at a fairly low level but he is still young and sometimes our guys take a little longer to develop! I hope he gets a chance and does well!

Was I the only one surprised that he wasn't a redheaded kid with pasty white skin and freckles with a name like Gavin McCallum?

Was I the only one surprised that he wasn't a redheaded kid with pasty white skin and freckles with a name like Gavin McCallum?

I remember watching his uncle Trevor playing for Canada, so I wasn't surprised! lol

Ok, well given what we have available, I figured I would get my Stephen Hart on and try draw up a line-up.

This is no better than our C+ line-up, and I would be very surprised to get a result, but hey another good experience for the kids.

------------Wagenaar/Al-Shaibani (split halves)-----

Sidra--------Straith---------Hastings-------Klukowski

---------------------Ledgerwood-----------------------

Stalteri--------------Pacheco-------Nakajima-Farran

-----------------Jackson--------------------------------

----------------------------Friend----------------------

The rationale:

- We have more depth at the back than in the midfield, so let's pull Stalteri forward to the right side of midfield. IIRC he had a stellar display in that position against Mexico in Edmonton in 2008.

- Let's go with a 4-4-2 to allow us to get our two best attacking players on the position, and to keep Friend from getting isolated again. Jacko and Friend are likely our strike pair for the next cycle of WCQ too.

- Let's have a good long look at Pacheco, given that he came off the bench against Argentina, Hart must like what's he's seen in training

- I was torn between Issey and McCallum on the far side, but I figured give Issey the 1st half and if he sucks bring on McCallum

Thoughts?

-------------------------Haidar----------------------------

Stalteri--------Straith---------Hastings-------Klukowski

Ademolu--------------Pacheco-------Nakajima-Farran

-I think Hart's big on Ademolu and will let him start and try and make an impact today.

-Stalteri has nothing going forward and very little tracking back so I think he would be a major liability for us anywhere in midfield.

Whole websites were created to complain about the ineffectiveness of Stalteri in midfield, and this was when his legs were ten years younger.

-I would like to see Pacheco get a whole game, or darn close to it, at least. Like with Haidar, there's no point bringing in someone so unknown unless we see him play a proper game.

- I wouldn't be surprised in Hastings is injured

-McCallum needs at least a half, maybe for Issey or Jackson

- I have a sinking feeling we may see Dunfield instead of Pacheco or McCallum, which for me is a total waste, like Wagenaar instead of Haidar.

There some to be conflicting reports that Peters is in Merida. He's on the squad list in this article, for instance: http://www.hereford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200150

If he is there then I want him in Stalteri or Ademolu's place.

-I would like to see Pacheco get a whole game, or darn close to it, at least. Like with Haidar, there's no point bringing in someone so unknown unless we see him play a proper game.

Hart has brought in other unknown or relatively unknown guys only to limit their appearences to late in matches. Rivas, Dominic Imhoff, and Ornoch come to mind in that regard. I guess my point is that he feels he sees enough within squad training to determine whether or not the guy fits into his plans.

-------------------------Haidar----------------------------

Ademolu--------------Pacheco-------Nakajima-Farran

-I think Hart's big on Ademolu and will let him start and try and make an impact today.

-Stalteri has nothing going forward and very little tracking back so I think he would be a major liability for us anywhere in midfield.

Whole websites were created to complain about the ineffectiveness of Stalteri in midfield, and this was when his legs were ten years younger.

- I wouldn't be surprised in Hastings is injured

-McCallum needs at least a half, maybe for Issey or Jackson

- I have a sinking feeling we may see Dunfield instead of Pacheco or McCallum, which for me is a total waste, like Wagenaar instead of Haidar.

There some to be conflicting reports that Peters is in Merida. He's on the squad list in this article, for instance: http://www.hereford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200150

If he is there then I want him in Stalteri or Ademolu's place.

I hear you all on fronts Nolando.

I stuck Stalteri at RM for two reasons though:

- We know what Ademolu has to offer and know he is not going to develop into a fixture in our starting XI anytime soon. On the other hand, Sidra is much more of an unknown and is at least hanging around with a decent club in Germany. And I mean, past it or not, when Canada has Paul Stalteri available with this kind of roster - you know he's going to start.

- Stalteri also played a super game at RM vs. Mexico, and could have scored with a screamer of a hit from 35 yards.

Would be SUPER if Peters was there, I thought he was our best player against ARG.

If Hasting is injured AND we don't have Peters...we're pretty screwed at the back.

- Stalteri also played a super game at RM vs. Mexico, and could have scored with a screamer of a hit from 35 yards.

He did, as did a number of other guys in that match, particularly the strikers as well as the central mid pairing.

I wonder (hoping is probably a better word?) which player will make a positive impression during this match.

http://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN #canmnt - Starting XI - Wagenaar, Stalteri, Straith, Hastings, Klukowski, Nakajima-Farran, Dunfield, Pacheco, Ledgerwood, Wassey, Jackson less than 20 seconds ago via web

-------------------------Wagenaar----------------------------

Wassey---------Dunfield-----Pacheco-------Nakajima-Farran

----------------------------Jackson----------------------

?????

Archived