Canada vs Venezuela (May 29th)

loyola

Juby....

Your missing the big point... the average Canadian ...not involved in soccer or a fan of the game... would watch the National team befoer they do TFC in a meaningfull competition,.

To think little old ladies in Manitoba will watch tfc play in MLS versus Canadas womens team in the final of the Womens World Cup... you dont have clue about markets or marketing.

Most people haven't watched a game or are aware of anything involving the nats, therefore their just talking to hear the sound of their own voice. There are a few national teams out there who are historically worse but they still have fans. All I can say is tease them for being a big wig bandwagoner(say something like, lemme guess, your a lakers fan? and 2 years before that, lemme guess, Celtics fan), or call them on their **** like 'ohh you saw them play? what game?' and then when you find out their just trying to sound like the understand a topic they know nothing about or their just regurgitating what footiephobic loser in their family told them as kids, then you start giggling and tease them about anything from fickleness to their lack of patriotism to thier willingness to pretend their way into topics. At the very least it will make that person too embarressed to say 'canada sucks' until they have some real information to back it up. A good tease is ask them who their favorite NHL team is and then ask them if they started to suck would they jump ship, they'd say no, and you say of course you would, you won't even support your country cause they quote unquote suck.

The problem is awareness, TFC is in the national psyche more then the nats. For your average person, if someone mentions the nats, they have nothing, nothing (maybe a mention of the gold cup win) in their brain to contribute or analyze except some equally ignorant moron (who loves to seem knowledgable) who said 'canada sucks' in a desperate bid for attention.

That's why I was recommending (unrealistically) a bit ago we give away jersey's, if alot of people have canada jersey's sitting around in the back of their closet even if they don't care about soccer, then when they (or family memebers) first realize the may like soccer and someone asks them say 'what's your favorite team?' if they are drawing a blank then theirs a good chance they go with Canada.

T

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

?If someone's not a fan of soccer, and they say 'canadian soccer sucks' then they are talking about something the don't actually understand and their ripe for ridicule. And don't be such a snot ass, I don't know anything about markets? I said clearly in their that 'your average person, if someone mentions the nats, they have nothing, nothing (maybe a mention of a gold cup win) in their brain to contribute or analyze'. so my question is, what the hell are YOU talking about? anyways, I completely disagree, TFC had a giant marketing campaign, ALOT of people are aware of it, your average person however draws a complete blank at the mention of the nats.

edit: hell, I know this doesn't completely make my point, but TFC had better attendance records in two poor opening season then the nats generally do. Hell our nats were winning back when TFC was 'sucking', still, TFC sells alot better. granted I'm comparing MLS league games to international friendlies but that shouldn't be such of a stretch

Juby - you are right TFC are marketed much better than the national team and much more people are aware of their existance but Trillium is right. National teams in any sport appeal to the patriotic nature of people. In Kingston we had the freaking Canadian national volleyball team pull out a decent crowd last year. I mean how many of those who came out do you think were hardcore volleyball fans?

The point is if an average Manitoban who new nothing about soccer was told you can watch the Canadian national team play a friendly or TFC play a friendly. Most would probably chose the national team...

that may be true but TFC has half the work to do to maximize it's potential, a flyer for a TFC friendly in winnipeg would be instantly recognizable (their mentioned at least weekly on the highlights replays for the score, sportsnet and tsn and mentioned in ALOT of papers) by their logo (the csa logo is almost unrecognizable in the public). If there was a TFC friendly or a men's national team friendly in a week I think the TFC one would sell about as well as it would and the nats would be poorer then it would normally because nats games rely way more on things like word of mouth and literal 'announcements' at events or, and I don't want to be a dick, I lived in kingston for a couple years, things like the kingston whig standard in your case. Alot of people would remain completely unaware.

^^ Don't disagree with your points though I also don't think Bertuzzi is oversimplifying things. However, it is wrong to say there were ever lean years in hockey. We always had the best league in the world and also had the best national team in the world that won the majority of tournaments we played in whenever we were allowed to bring our best players. We knew that and the Europeans knew that. The fact that the Europeans came up with tournaments in which we couldn't play our best players and they could play theirs didn't change anyones opinion on either side of the pond about who was really the best. Even when we have a bad Olympics people know it is just a one-off. Yes hockey is probably strong enough culturally to survive some lean years but even then we would have so many years of success to refer back to that it is hard to determine how popular it would be.

So true.

My pet peeve is people who will wear the Red and White and cheer for Canada in ice hockey, like Team Canada at the Olympics or World Juniors, but then all of a sudden become Italian or Chinese or Ukranian when it comes to soccer.

What? The Italian national ice hockey team not good enough for you?

It's always easier to cheer for a winner, but I find it more rewarding to support the nation I want to see win...

An oversimplifacation that I happen to agree with. The rest is excuses. You have a "second team" through bloodline? Fine. Put their shirt on AFTER. Support your local.

In the next qualification a draw that has us playing Mexico in a final game ... we need to win to qualify after a tie played in Mexico City.

Canadian Nationals in the Big O against a Mexico in a meaningfull game, that would draw a record crowd to the Big O, and would have huge TV numbers, perhaps better then a Canada V U.S. match up.

e

For this to happen the CSA needs to ensure we have strong people in the boardrooms when decisions are made on draws... etc. and of course the team needs to win against the minnows and the teams who should be minnows for us, i.e. Honduras, Costa Rica etc.

Then the question of market-ability of soccer will be answered, even if TFC has won the MLS it cant beat qualifying at home for World Cup with a win over a team like Mexico.

In the next qualification a draw that has us playing Mexico in a final game ... we need to win to qualify after a tie played in Mexico City.

Canadian Nationals in the Big O against a Mexico in a meaningfull game, that would draw a record crowd to the Big O, and would have huge TV numbers, perhaps better then a Canada V U.S. match up.

e

For this to happen the CSA needs to ensure we have strong people in the boardrooms when decisions are made on draws... etc. and of course the team needs to win against the minnows and the teams who should be minnows for us, i.e. Honduras, Costa Rica etc.

Then the question of market-ability of soccer will be answered, even if TFC has won the MLS it cant beat qualifying at home for World Cup with a win over a team like Mexico.

The hardest part has nothing to do with the CSA and marketing... the hardest part will be getting to a situation anywhere near there and the marketing will do itself

Archived