Gold Cup biased toward USA and Mexico?

puskas

I am not certain if there was a draw for the Gold Cup grouping but something smells fishy. The Americans and the Mexicans are in a relatively easy group while Canada's group contains four traditionally good teams. So is the plan for all the competition to eliminate each other while USA and Mexico has an easy ride reducing the chances of eliminating the glammer teams? Now likely Jamaica and El Salvador will both get eliminated not because Jamaica is the worst third place team but because they had the hardest competition out of any third place team.

Also Mexico and USA being the group winners (which was almost a given) are facing third place teams while Canada being first from the toughest group must face a very tough second place opponent in Hondurus. You would think the first place of the toughest group would get treated better. If this was track and field, Canada would have to run 150m while USA and Mexico have to run 100m. It is not equal at all.

I watched the Americans and Haiti game. When Haiti was winning 2-1, suddenly the ref turned stupid and entirely favored the US. At the end the tying goal was a nice fair one by Holden but the refs biased is not lost on me at all. Reminds me when they disallowed that last minute tying goal for Canada in the last Gold Cup. It really takes away the joy for me.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

These things don't happen in CONCACAF.

What do you mean????? These things happen all the time in CONCACAF!!! Why do you think that offside call was made in the last Gold Cup???? Jack Warner!!!!! Benito Archundia!!!!!

(Just figured I'd get the inevitable, missed-the-snark reaction out of the way.)

quote:Originally posted by puskas

I am not certain if there was a draw for the Gold Cup grouping but something smells fishy. The Americans and the Mexicans are in a relatively easy group while Canada's group contains four traditionally good teams. So is the plan for all the competition to eliminate each other while USA and Mexico has an easy ride reducing the chances of eliminating the glammer teams? Now likely Jamaica and El Salvador will both get eliminated not because Jamaica is the worst third place team but because they had the hardest competition out of any third place team.

Also Mexico and USA being the group winners (which was almost a given) are facing third place teams while Canada being first from the toughest group must face a very tough second place opponent in Hondurus. You would think the first place of the toughest group would get treated better. If this was track and field, Canada would have to run 150m while USA and Mexico have to run 100m. It is not equal at all.

I watched the Americans and Haiti game. When Haiti was winning 2-1, suddenly the ref turned stupid and entirely favored the US. At the end the tying goal was a nice fair one by Holden but the refs biased is not lost on me at all. Reminds me when they disallowed that last minute tying goal for Canada in the last Gold Cup. It really takes away the joy for me.

It's not just the Gold Cup, it's CONCACAF in general which favours Mexico, USA and T&T. We've been cheated out of matches for years in CONCACAF no matter what the competition.

Sport is not fair, you have to dethrone the leaders and beat them no matter the route laid out, if you dont you simply are irrelevant to them.

Canada has failed to get any traction at Concacaf cause we do a lousy job in the boardroom, we are weak there and we dont know how to be strong on issues.

Given that we set up our teams to work harder to get to the top, win the game on the field each time, overcome dicy referees, make it definitive, dont focus on the negative just go ahead and do it.

Hopefully that is Harts view, versus waisting energy whining "its not fair", send ten thousand canadian fans to a Gold Cup game and you will start getting your calls and your respect, when you dont do that your not relevant.

Yup, and even if Mexico or USA finish 2nd, the bracket is still rigged to allow for a USA-MEX final. That's why I would absolutely LOVE it if Guadeloupe can beat Mexico today and Mexico finishes in 3rd place! Not likely to happen though...

Ok since I am still a bit tipsy from yesterday After Honduras who do we play(if we get thru)?

Quarter Final

18 July Canada 17 : 00 Honduras

United States 20 : 00 Group A3/Group C3

19 July Group C2 15 : 00 Costa Rica

Group C1 18 : 00 Haiti

Semi Final

23 July Winner Quarter Final 1 19 : 00 Winner Quarter Final 2

Winner Quarter Final 3 22 : 00 Winner Quarter Final 4

So we play the USA again? QuarterFinal 1vs2? That's fuc..ed</u>

QuarterFinal 1vs4 & 2vs3 would be more interesting in the SemiFinals

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

QuarterFinal 1vs4 & 2vs3 would be more interesting in the SemiFinals

Why would that be more interesting?

Organizers wouldn't want 2 vs 3 because Mexico could end up in QF #3 and play USA in the semis.

I don't have much problem with this. Mexico and the US are the favourite for this tournament and having them potentially, if they finish 1st of their group, on both sides of the bracket is normal IMO.

That being said, I don't like the fact there's no draw in this tournament, it's pathetic. Place Mexico and USA in 2 different group with the winners set to play the best third, fine, but please have a draw for the rest.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I don't have much problem with this. Mexico and the US are the favourite for this tournament and having them potentially, if they finish 1st of their group, on both sides of the bracket is normal IMO.

I don't have a problem with that either. What I have a problem with is even if they finish 2nd in their group they stay in opposite halves of the bracket.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Canada has failed to get any traction at Concacaf cause we do a lousy job in the boardroom, we are weak there and we dont know how to be strong

On first try I read it as "cause we do a lousy job in the

bedroom".

I don't know about ANY issues with CONCACAF whatsoever.

Of course the USA needs a reserve of 30, and we have to play

the 2nd place team as well. (sarcasm alert)

n551678351_101087_8370.jpg

Why the *$&%@ doesn't the CSA grab some balls and get all of the smaller countries (most of whom hate Mexico and the US too) to come together and refuse to play in the next Gold Cup unless there is a public draw. Boycott the event until it is more professional and fair.

Having said that, if the Panama-Nicaragua scoreline stays unchanged (3-0 right now), any Mexico loss will set up a USA-Mexico quarter-final match. And I would laugh...

Just do some lobbying like Brasil,India & South Africa did for the G20 opposing the G7+1 quite effectively. I think that the rest of CONCACAF countires should "propose" right now as this Gold Cup is going on that the next shall have a Draw. In case CONCACAF tell them they need 50years to implement such changes. Just make it happen at the next AGM or simply VOTE by internet...Anyway Jack Warner is to stay in his seat at least until 2011.......

The Real Question is How the Fu...does the US get 8 out of 10 Gold Cups(the remaining 2 they Co-Hosted)?

Is it all about Venues? C'mon Canada could host the Gold Cup We Have 2stadiums while the 3rd Group could play in Edmonton or somewhere around. Or is there simply too much money coming in from TV Rights & Sponsors from the US to CONCACAF? I can guarantee you that a Gold Cup in Canada would be a sellout.

^ My impression is that the CSA had made a serious pitch for the GC,

but was denied by the CONCACAF corporate sponsors. Perhaps if MLSE was involved

or other CSA sponsors, but I think it's "common practice" for some "soft money"

to flow through CONCACAF. I'm sure the guarantees provided by the USSF is

huge enough to assure an American exclusivity. But it's just speculation.

The CSA seems to be like a puppet not a National Soccer Association at times......Really I believe that the Gold Cup in Canada would be a hit. Venues done we got them(3only required) TV Crews done. Sportsnet or CBC/SRC could pickup the Canada Games, as for Sponsors there would be the local Telus,Rogers, Nutrilite, etc. The big ones NIKE,UMBRO,etc would come too. Anyone knows if the CSA every debated in organising the GoldCup at home? Get the balls rolling maybe the fans (Voyageurs & respective Canadian Teams) should start lobbying their clubs at the local level to get some attention?

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

The CSA seems to be like a puppet not a National Soccer Association at times......Really I believe that the Gold Cup in Canada would be a hit. Venues done we got them(3only required) TV Crews done. Sportsnet or CBC/SRC could pickup the Canada Games, as for Sponsors there would be the local Telus,Rogers, Nutrilite, etc. The big ones NIKE,UMBRO,etc would come too. Anyone knows if the CSA every debated in organising the GoldCup at home? Get the balls rolling maybe the fans (Voyageurs & respective Canadian Teams) should start lobbying their clubs at the local level to get some attention?

I would agree that it would be a success if some matches were held

in Canada, specifically Toronto and Montreal.

Rumour was that a sponsor (Miller/Anhauser ?) was opposed to have

BMO as one of the venues for this year. Negotiations to have certain

sponsors for the Gold Cup are the realm of CONCACAF. (Adidas and Nike

will not want to sponsor if PUMA is the CONCACAF choice.) So really,

I just dunno what to think would be effective.

However if we win this year, we more clout ... and maybe the CSA

can lobby more effectively.

Archived