possible starting XI for el salvador

hodgkiss

so do you guys think we should start the same group for the next match? i thought the team played very well together with a few exceptions.

the back line (even though hastings didn't feature and played a couple of good games for us lately) was great. mckenna cleared quite a few balls and jakovic was able to maintain possession and move the ball up well. stalteri and klukowski did very well moving the ball up as well and helped switch the control from left to right and right to left side of the field very well. i'm just a little scared for the next match because el salvador seems to build a lot of momentum through the midfield in the centre and i can see some guys being brought down just outside the box resulting in some good dead ball chances.

the mids also did fairly well (although deguzman could barely move and inch) bernier, deguzman and hutch all controlled the ball well and were not only able to move the ball forward but they were also getting back a lot of the time when jamaica threatened.

de jong up front along with gerba and johnson wasn't really my cup of tea. i think gerba held his own up there and johnson and de jong a had a real hard time getting balls into him and really didn't get into position to score. when simpson came on he mad an immediate impact but i thought he fizzled out just as quickly (15 minutes) and jackson was great in the 20 minutes that he had. he was able to hold the ball up, threaten on his own and put balls in to gerba that nearly resulted in a second goal.

btw, sutton was there when we needed him but he made a couple of poor decisions when it came time to distribute the ball. so i don't think we should make any change there. he just needs a little talking to before the next game to settle down and think first.

anyway, this is what i am thinking. do you guys agree?

-------------------sutton---------------------

------------mckenna------jakovic--------------

klukowski--------------------------------stalteri

-----------deguzman-----hutchinson------------

-------------------bernier--------------------

-------jackson------------------johnson--------

-------------------gerba----------------------

a 4-3-3 that easily becomes a 4-5-1 if we can build a nice lead.

hope to see that slow patient build up that we saw against jamaica.

would like to see peters in there for jackson around 70. maybe issey in for bernier around the same time (if we're losing) and maybe hastings in for bernier who could drop back behind de guzman and hutchinson as a 5th defender - pushing julian and hutch up a bit to stop the attack before they enter our final third.

ya i'm not a big fan of hainault's... i have seen him do some scary things with the ball when under pressure. i hope he has grown out of that but now isn't the time to test. maybe if we win this game and get the 6 points we need. or even a late substitution.

as long as jackson sees some time i will be happy. but simpson does deserve some more time for sure!

At this point I think we should try to build on what we have. We need a point against ES and I thought the midfield looked a little out of synch. And that was that back four's first game together.

The only change I would make to the starting 11 is to bring Simpson in for DeJong. I like DeJong, but I don't think he really fits what's being asked of him in that spot. I think Jackson should be first off the bench, but I'd start Johnson again.

Plus if we need to change things up we could bring Jackson in for Johnson or it wouldn't be hard to switch formations and put Johnson at right mid and Jackson up front and sub out a midfielder (I'd assume Bernier) if Gerba is looking isolated again.

I'd love to see Hainault at some point, but I don't think that time is now.

Hopefully we look a little sharper Tuesday and keep building.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

At this point I think we should try to build on what we have. We need a point against ES and I thought the midfield looked a little out of synch. And that was that back four's first game together.

The only change I would make to the starting 11 is to bring Simpson in for DeJong. I like DeJong, but I don't think he really fits what's being asked of him in that spot. I think Jackson should be first off the bench, but I'd start Johnson again.

Plus if we need to change things up we could bring Jackson in for Johnson or it wouldn't be hard to switch formations and put Johnson at right mid and Jackson up front and sub out a midfielder (I'd assume Bernier) if Gerba is looking isolated again.

I'd love to see Hainault at some point, but I don't think that time is now.

Hopefully we look a little sharper Tuesday and keep building.

cheers,

matthew

Simpson for De Jong is a no brainer. Simpson plays far more forward for his club then De Jong does and that is the role we need for that position to play.

Other than that I don't think I'd do anything EXCEPT MAYBE move Johnson to the midfield and allow Julian to be more offensive let Johnson win all the balls like the champ he is. Then put Peters or Issey on for Bernier. So it would look like.

--------------Sutton----------------

Stalteri----Jakovic---Mckenna--Klukowski

--------Johnson---Hutchinson-----------

Issey/Peters-----De Guzman-------Simpson

-------------Gerba---------------------

That looks pretty damn good no? Johnson is a beast I'd imagine he'd be great in the middle vs. El Salvador as a quick little Messi typish guy he wouldn't be run over due to ES being smaller. De Guz can push up. And we can replace Bernier with a more skilled player such as Peters or Issey.

I agree with Matthew & Keegan in that Simpson should start over Dejong. I would then move Johnson to Bernier's spot (Bernier works hard to win the ball and break up attacks - but then undoes it far too often by giving the ball away cheaply) and start Issey or Peters on the right.

I would stay with Hart's 4-3-3 to start and bring in Jackson if/when a new look is required.

one really good thing about johnson is his ability to draw fouls. and although we have seen him quite hot tempered in the past and has committed several fouls, he seems to have settled down a bit (in the right areas)

but this el salvador team was all about controlling the midfield. so do we go long balls to the wings and gerba up front? or do we try to attack and build from the midfield as well? i guess maybe the best plan is to do both. keep them on their toes.

Keep Johnson on the right wing in the 4-3-3, he showed Friday night he's willing to put the team ahead and track back to help Stalteri out.

Sutton

Stalteri Dejan Mckenna Kluko

Hutch Deguzman Dejong

Johnson Gerba Simpson

I'd sit Bernier for this game, from what I've seen from Dejong he has an acurate left boot and should be able to land Gerba or Johnson on long aerial balls.

Jackson's still the first sub I use ( it would be great if the game were such we could get him on for Deguzman as he's on a yellow) He helps us grab a goal if need it or neutralize E.S pressure with his speed and skill down the wing.

This will be a huge game for Stalteri my guess is E.S will force the ball his way, as it's no secret he's gotten tentative with the ball, He'll see a lot of opportunities to send the final ball into the box.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I wonder if Hainault should be given a chance to start?

If I remeber correct, Hainault is carrying a bit of a knock.

BTW, I really like Lamonty's lineup suggestion, except I'd be inclined to try Wagenaar for this game. Sutton scares the crap out of me, regardless of how well he did Friday (and he was pretty good).

Please dear god keep Hastings on the sidelines. I am not a big fan of his in a Canadian Kit. He ahs made me shake my head far too many times as a defender and at his age, we definitely need to have our younger guns gaining experience towards 2014

I agree with using Jackson as our first sub. He was dy-na-mite coming off the bench for us. I wish that individual effort of his late in the second half where he burned that defender and put the ball in the box for Ali would have ended up as a goal, it was superb play.

Bernier seemed unlucky. His attempt on goal was thwarted by Ricketts's fingertips - it was going in for sure. I'd keep him in but take him out again around the 65th min. Replace him with Simpson again. While we looked rough for a little while in the 2nd half, the subs that were made were the difference, and I don't know if I'd do it any other way against El Salvador.

-------------Gerba--------------

Johnston-------Hutchinson-------------Jackson

------Bernier----Deguzman------

Klukowski----Jakovic---Mckenna--Stalteri

---------------Sutton-------------------

1) We can get waaaay more out of Atiba than we are right now. Not sure how exactly, but i'd say he blends in too much when he should be a standout as one of our better players.

2) Leave Simpson in his current role as an attacking sub. His pace will come in handy late in games against players fighting fatigue due to heat.

3) Keep Jackson advanced enough to play off Gerba.

-------------------sutton---------------------

------------mckenna------jakovic--------------

stalteri--------------------------------klukowski

-----------hutchinson-----dejong---------------

-------------------deguzman--------------------

-------johnson------------------simpson--------

-------------------gerba----------------------

subs as needed but probably safe to have jackson in again for johnson and perhaps nakajima in for simpson if we are still attacking...as I mentioned in another thread, the idea of dejong coming off for hainault and then he and jakovic swapping positions is another great move depending on our strategic needs.

quote:Originally posted by Aljarov

Personally, I'd play:

GK: SUTTON

DR: STALTERI

DC: MCKENNA

DC: JAKOVIC

DL: KLUKOWSKI

MC: HUTCHISON

MC: JOHNSON

AMR: NAKAJIMA-FARRAN

AMC: DE GUZMAN

AML: DE JONG or SIMPSON

FC: GERBA

My exact XI that I posted in another thread. That really imo is the best possible line up everyone plays a familiar position. Both of our attacking wingers (Simpson and Nakajima/Jackson for me) play or have played striker giving us some more finishing power up front we need all we can get playing just a lone striker.

^ I like that set up, the only thing I'm really concerned about is the counter attack, we have to be able to control the ball in the space in front of the defenders, a 4-3-3 could leave us vulnerable at times, then again, it could really open ES up and if we take some of our chances we could do real well! I tend to think we should play a patient and somewhat conservative game! I would prefer maybe DeJong over Bernier in the starting 11!

quote:Originally posted by gator

^ I like that set up, the only thing I'm really concerned about is the counter attack, we have to be able to control the ball in the space in front of the defenders, a 4-3-3 could leave us vulnerable at times, then again, it could really open ES up and if we take some of our chances we could do real well! I tend to think we should play a patient and somewhat conservative game! I would prefer maybe DeJong over Bernier in the starting 11!

I think Hutch and Johnson could definitely handle the midfield and stop the ES counter attack. Both are experienced as defensive mids and both are extremely athletic players who can cover a lot of ground.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

-------------Gerba--------------

Johnston-------Hutchinson-------------Jackson

------Bernier----Deguzman------

Klukowski----Jakovic---Mckenna--Stalteri

---------------Sutton-------------------

1) We can get waaaay more out of Atiba than we are right now. Not sure how exactly, but i'd say he blends in too much when he should be a standout as one of our better players.

2) Leave Simpson in his current role as an attacking sub. His pace will come in handy late in games against players fighting fatigue due to heat.

3) Keep Jackson advanced enough to play off Gerba.

I have found a computer in my travels! Though I have missed the first game, judging from the post match comments I think this would be a good formation and strong reasons.

Did we look compact enough defensively in the centre of midfield or do you think we might look vulnerable to a swift counter attack or two, like vs Honduras during the WCQ?

I wouldn't trust De Guzman as defensive mid for this match. For Canada he tends to get forward and doesn't play his role as he does with Deportivo. Remember vs. Honduras in Montreal? That was his worst match in a Canadian shirt and we had him as defensive mid. Not to say he isn't a team player he is a great team player its just with Canada he likes to run in the offense so I think he would get caught. Hutchinson and Johnson in the centre defensive mid spots.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I wouldn't trust De Guzman as defensive mid for this match. For Canada he tends to get forward and doesn't play his role as he does with Deportivo. Remember vs. Honduras in Montreal? That was his worst match in a Canadian shirt and we had him as defensive mid. Not to say he isn't a team player he is a great team player its just with Canada he likes to run in the offense so I think he would get caught. Hutchinson and Johnson in the centre defensive mid spots.

I don't know how you can single out De Guzman for the midfield defensive shortcomings in the Honduras match without apportioning some responsibility to Hutchinson as well.

In the end I would like to see someone step up as a quality bona fide d-mid option but I'm not sure anyone in the current personnel for this squad fits the role.

Archived