TORONTO HATED????

Anyhow, look at my first post. It's the be all and end all of all posts in this thread. I squashed all the negative connotations anybody in here had about this city. I should have put "thread" with a "/" at the end to signal that was the decisive post. I'll do it for this one I suppose.

Thread /

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Anyhow, look at my first post. It's the be all and end all of all posts in this thread. I squashed all the negative connotations anybody in here had about this city. I should have put "thread" with a "/" at the end to signal that was the decisive post. I'll do it for this one I suppose.

Thread /

Interesting irony. Torontonians are criticized for being self-centred egocentrics who ignore the concerns of the rest of the country. Macksam claims to have settled this issue once and for all by claiming he knows exactly how Torontonians are and has "squashed" all the viewpoints that disagree with his own. He has proven something though I am not sure it is what he claims it to be.

This thread is as retarded as all non-Torontonians obsessed about how much we do or don't care about them*.

Why does the Rest of Canada need the validation of Toronto to feel important? Why not just enjoy your hometown/region and not spend energy on what complete strangers think of them?

* Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I did not say that all non-Torontonians obsess about what we think of them. I said all non-Torontonians who do obsess over what we think of them are retarded. In fact, any Torontonian who feels hurt by any irrational hatred coming from the Rest of Canada is equally dumb.

It is what it is. I just don't see why this thread got to this many pages.

^ Indeed (Grizz).

C'mon Macksam, c'est la vie, and we won't stone you to death because of that (at least not yet [:P] ). I know what it is cause we're acting the same here in MTL as the centre of Québec. I can realize that even if I'm a true Montrealer, that's just common sense.

Everything in the news is about what's happening in MTL even if the parliament isn't here. Not "everything</u>" but you know what I mean. When you ask people on the streets about what's going on outside the city limits, for the vast majority of them they know sweet f*ck all about that. And I realize that most of the time I find myself among them. People from Rimouski know way more things about MTL than we know about them and their struggles to say the least.

It's not because you and your friend can tell what's happening in Winnipeg these days (do you really ? ...) that everyone else in TO can. Open your eyes.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

This thread is as retarded as all non-Torontonians obsessed about how much we do or don't care about them*.

Why does the Rest of Canada need the validation of Toronto to feel important? Why not just enjoy your hometown/region and not spend energy on what complete strangers think of them?

* Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I did not say that all non-Torontonians obsess about what we think of them. I said all non-Torontonians who do obsess over what we think of them are retarded. In fact, any Torontonian who feels hurt by any irrational hatred coming from the Rest of Canada is equally dumb.

It is what it is. I just don't see why this thread got to this many pages.

What I dont understand Rudi.. is you live in Peel in Hazelville not in Toronto .. so are you including yourself in TO or not .. i.e. one of the retarded or the non retarded ?

The reason the thread is so long is cause you guys who think Toronto is special and or the centre of everything of import in Canada are so easy to get a rise out of, the truth is most folks in Toronto are terribly insular and many who live in the urban wastelands surronding the core City of Toronto have little real knowledge of what goes on outside the latest late night shooting in the strip malls of Malton.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

What I dont understand Rudi.. is you live in Peel in Hazelville not in Toronto .. so are you including yourself in TO or not .. i.e. one of the retarded or the non retarded ?

The reason the thread is so long is cause you guys who think Toronto is special and or the centre of everything of import in Canada are so easy to get a rise out of, the truth is most folks in Toronto are terribly insular and many who live in the urban wastelands surronding the core City of Toronto have little real knowledge of what goes on outside the latest late night shooting in the strip malls of Malton.

That's funny considering we're telling you none of us think Toronto is special or center of everything important. Saying we do when we don't is kind of pathetic on your part.

I never knew the rest of the country felt this way about Toronto until a few comedians from the Just for Laughs comedy show I was watching a few years ago pointed it out. If this is true, I feel sorry for all of you that do have this personal hatred or disdain for Toronto. I mean, all the reasons you mention don't exist. No one here is self centered or ignorant about the rest of the country. The people here care about the country as a whole. So you there you have it. You have no reason to hate us anymore since I put all the false, negative connotations to rest in this post.

Kinda funny what you know about the rest of the country comes from some comedians .. in Montreal... ah well enjoy your Brampton/Toronto centric view of the world and Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Kinda funny what you know about the rest of the country comes from some comedians .. in Montreal... ah well enjoy your Brampton/Toronto centric view of the world and Canada.

God, you're acting like I'm an American who can't point himself out on a map.

Pop Quiz:

1) Why has the Fraser River been in the news lately?

2) What is the uproar in Iqaluit about?

3) What is being recommended for the Saskatchewan Oil Sands?

4) What is the new name of the New Democratic Party?

5) What was a Montreal woman doing when she recently died of swine flu?

6) What is currently taking place in P.E.I?

7) By how much are Ottawa civil servants overpaid?

That last one was for you Doug! LOL! [:P]

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Pop Quiz:

1) Why has the Fraser River been in the news lately?

2) What is the uproar in Iqaluit about?

3) What is being recommended for the Saskatchewan Oil Sands?

4) What is the new name of the New Democratic Party?

5) What was a Montreal woman doing when she recently died of swine flu?

6) What is currently taking place in P.E.I?

7) By how much are Ottawa civil servants overpaid?

That last one was for you Doug! LOL! [:P]

1) Searching for a missing pilot.

2) Kids were sleeping on the streets, and Harper wants to build some icebreakers to patrol the region.

3) They are being told to have a three year waiting period to avoid the mistakes made by Alberta. Environmental mistakes that is.

4) The Democratic party. However, I don't think it's official just yet.

5) Giving birth?

6) 2009 Canada Summer Games.

7) Not too sure.

1) Searching for a missing pilot.

2) Kids were sleeping on the streets, and Harper wants to build some icebreakers to patrol the region.

3) They are being told to have a three year waiting period to avoid the mistakes made by Alberta. Environmental mistakes that is.

4) The Democratic party. However, I don't think it's official just yet.

5) Giving birth?

6) 2009 Canada Summer Games.

7) Not too sure.

1) The Ontario pilot yes, a tragedy - but also the nine million missing salmon.

Isn't it interesting how we can do what we do to this planet and people are mystified when the effect start kicking in, in this case nine million missing salmon.

Beer company pulls billboard ads mocking Toronto

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/contentposting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&showbyline=True&date=true&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20090818%2fcoors_ad_090818

I found this part amusing:

...Filmmaker Albert Nerenberg, who brought Canada the documentary "Let's All Hate Toronto," told ctvtoronto.ca that he found the whole matter hilarious.

"I thought this billboard was dumb," he said, referring to the fact it said "most people from Toronto."

"It's like they're trying to be precise about things ... and you really are picking on 'most people from Toronto.' I thought it was purposefully insulting for no gain," he said.

Nerenberg said he also found it amusing that the billboard ad contained the logo of the 2010 Winter Olympics. "It's almost like Toronto-bashing is an Olympic sport!" he joked.

The genesis of his 2007 film came from a billboard, paid for anonymously by a Hamilton rock radio station, which simply said, "Toronto sucks."

Upon travelling the country, they learned it's really B.C. that hates Toronto the most, he said -- something that puzzled him as he wondered what could Toronto have done to them.

He learned it's a lot of little things, from televised NHL hockey games that start in the late afternoon to elections being decided before they go to the polls.

"Toronto to them is self-involved and cold," he said, but noted the same complaint has been directed at Vancouverites.

Nerenberg -- who has lived in Toronto and Montreal, among other places -- called Vancouver "astronomically boring. If Toronto was to do an equivalent billboard, it would be that Vancouver is more boring than ..." Saskatchewan? "Yeah, Saskatchewan!" he laughed.

Once again, it seems that only people from Toronto know what's what. The rest of us are all wrong.

As for Saskatchwan, even a relief map of the province would look like a slightly odd-shaped table top. However, I would love to go there. I hope some day to drive across the country, and one place I would really like to see is Saskatchewan. I'd love to see the wheat fields going on as far as the eye can see, especially with a nice breeze. I would love to see the sky, both during the daytime and at night. In the daytime, I would love to see the sky in Saskatchewan. We can't see the whole thing here in BC. I want to see the whole dome of the sky covering the Earth. Also, at night, I hear people in Saskatchewan can see these things called stars. I've heard of them, but we can't see them here in Vancouver with all the light pollution.

A friend of mine from Manitoba said about Saskatchewan, although I'm sure it would apply to parts of Manitoba as well, that you can watch your dog running away for a week. Or, you want to go from Winnipeg to Regina, pack a lunch, put on the cruise control and spread yourself out in the back seat for a nice picnic. You'll be able to see the next curve or approaching car at least an hour in advance.

Saskatchewan may not be exciting to a lot of people, but one other thing it isn't: Toronto.

In the defence of most people from TO on here, I would assume being Voyageurs and fans of the national team, these people are more open and knowledgeable about the rest of the country than their fellow Torontonians. It's a shame that so many people in TO give the nice ones a bad name. I don't hate Toronto, I don't hate people from Toronto, but the pillocks of Toronto open the city up to be the butt of jokes and the object of disdain from the rest of the country.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

As for Saskatchwan, even a relief map of the province would look like a slightly odd-shaped table top. However, I would love to go there. I hope some day to drive across the country, and one place I would really like to see is Saskatchewan. I'd love to see the wheat fields going on as far as the eye can see, especially with a nice breeze. I would love to see the sky, both during the daytime and at night. In the daytime, I would love to see the sky in Saskatchewan. We can't see the whole thing here in BC. I want to see the whole dome of the sky covering the Earth. Also, at night, I hear people in Saskatchewan can see these things called stars. I've heard of them, but we can't see them here in Vancouver with all the light pollution.

A friend of mine from Manitoba said about Saskatchewan, although I'm sure it would apply to parts of Manitoba as well, that you can watch your dog running away for a week. Or, you want to go from Winnipeg to Regina, pack a lunch, put on the cruise control and spread yourself out in the back seat for a nice picnic. You'll be able to see the next curve or approaching car at least an hour in advance.

ROFLMFAO ! :D That was a real 2 AM (for me in MTL) post !

In some way I was thinking to write something like this then I said "no, that would be too harsh". But you did it ! [:P]

quote:Originally posted by TFCRegina

Anyone who thinks Saskatchewan is boring doesn't like drinking or playing outside either.

Yeah, and you think people from MTL (& TO & VAN for the record) don't like to drink and play outside ? ;)

The difference is that for us, actually, those are not the only options ! [8D] How's the nightlife in Regina ? [}:)]

Anyway, most of the people from the big cities will always think the same about smaller cities and far countries. It's like the big brother bullying his younger bro, this concept will exist forever.

Oh, I almost forgot... We also have mountains here in Québec ! :D

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Once again, it seems that only people from Toronto know what's what. The rest of us are all wrong.

Saskatchewan may not be exciting to a lot of people, but one other thing it isn't: Toronto.

In the defence of most people from TO on here, I would assume being Voyageurs and fans of the national team, these people are more open and knowledgeable about the rest of the country than their fellow Torontonians. It's a shame that so many people in TO give the nice ones a bad name. I don't hate Toronto, I don't hate people from Toronto, but the pillocks of Toronto open the city up to be the butt of jokes and the object of disdain from the rest of the country.

It's funny how nobody on the receiving end of those jokes and disdain cares.

A hugely successful campaign by Coors, so they're taking the billboards down two weeks earlier than originally planned but the campaign garnered them national media exposure... cheap at the price.

Personally I cannot see what the fuss is about, it was a publicity stunt by Coors and a good one at that. Anybody who takes this kind of advertising message seriously needs their head read.

I am a former Torontonian.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

^^ Really? ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/08/18/billboard-ad-coors-light-british-columbia-toronto.html

(As a Torontonian with a sense of humour, I don't know what the fuss is...)

Yeah, really. Most people from here have a perplexed look on their face when someone talks about how the whole country hates Toronto. A face that says "What did we do...?"

Archived